Isaac
Years ago

Hawks sign Ubaka for rest of the season

The Wollongong NRE Hawks have signed exciting American Ayinde "Chewy" Ubaka for the remainder of the 2011/12 NBL Season.

Ubaka arrived in Wollongong Sunday and will begin working out with his new team immediately, it is expected he will receive his clearance in time to take on his former team the Melbourne Tigers Friday night at the WIN Entertainment Centre.
I think the Tigers dropping Ubaka might've been the only way Wollongong replaced Showron. Assuming Melbourne have to pay out his two-year deal, Wollongong could get him cheap for that period. Not completely sure on the numbers (sometime there is an adjusted minimum salary based on points value?) but this could really help the Hawks in the future by giving them an affordable starting PG and allowing them to bring in a decent second import or other free agent.

Topic #27375 | Report this topic

Kobe24  
Years ago

This is great news. Hawks have a alot of things already in place, good veterans, decent swing guys and a brilliant coach who has proven this season after season. With these things comes loyal fans, and all they have been missing this season has been a Ervin style game changer. Watch things turn around swiftly for the Gong.

Reply #347587 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Sixers to be presented with the spoon for sure now!

Reply #347594 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Good for Chewy and Wollongong one woudl think.

Best of luck.

Reply #347595 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Correct me if im wrong, but Ubaka will stand to make a lot of money for this season. 2 years worth of salary from the Tigers, plus whatever he will get from the Hawks.

Reply #347598 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

Reckon he'll be gunning for revenge? Should be an interesting game to watch. Expect him to try to win it all by himself, which will help the Tigers.

Reply #347600 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Adjusted salary for Hawks, wouldnt be as much as predicted. But win-win as he gets to stay exposed to NBL teams for a spot next season, and Hawks will get off the bottom of the ladder, and agreed, Clarke's boys will be relegated.

Reply #347601 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Just in time for Melbourne vs Wollongong this Friday.
Would be great to see Chewy drop 30 and Wollongong get the win.

Reply #347603 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

MACDUB, doesn't work like that, I think it's a bit more like this:

Making these figures up, but say his two-year deal with Melbourne was 100 and 120 and he played half of the first season. Then Hawks pay him some sort of minimum for the duration of this season, say equivalent of 30 for a full season.

So, he'd get 50 from the Tigers for that first half of the season. Then 15 from the Hawks for the second half, and 35 from the Tigers for the remainder to top him up to the 100. Something like that. Then next year, maybe the Tigers pay 80 and the Hawks 40. If the Hawks paid 80, the Tigers would cover the 40.

I don't think he's always guaranteed to get the full amount. Some clubs pay it, other clubs might try to negotiate less.

Also, consider if the Tigers were due to pay 120, the Hawks want to pay 40 and Adelaide offer 80 for next year. Then if he played for the Hawks, he'd get 40 from them, and 40 from the Tigers - they'd only offer to top up from the best market offer he got (Adelaide).

May not always work exactly like that, but I know that's happened before.

Reply #347604 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good situation for everyone it seems. Ubaka should help the hawks and Allen showed in that first game that he'll probably be a better fit for the tigers. Friday night's game will be interesting.

Reply #347606 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Had a friend who got sacked by Eddie Groves at Brisbane and got paid out.A year and halves pay for nothing. Im sure Chewy is laughing all the way to the bank!!!Literally

Reply #347609 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

Im sure he will be laughing harder if he has a 30 point game this week and his new team destroy the Tigers. It would be the first time a one finger salute would be fully justified to the owners box by an ex player.

Reply #347618 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

what skud said

Reply #347625 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

mad respect if he did

Reply #347629 | Report this post

MikefromtheK  
Years ago

It would sure give the NBL some publicity if he did.

Reply #347721 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I haven't watched a lot of games this year but I'll be tuning in on Friday for sure. If the game was in Melbourne it'd probably be the first game I've attended in 2 seasons.

Really hoping Chewy sticks it up Seamus.

Reply #347766 | Report this post

hustle  
Years ago

Do they go straight to Chewy as starting PG and push Martin to the bench?
Hes had a decent year, coming off probably his best game last weekend...tough call for Gordy.

I think the right one is Chewy starting though.

Davidson/(Gruber?)
Forman/Catron
Saville/Coenraad
Campbell/Demos
Ubaka/Martin

Their second unit looks better already with a decent PG running the show.

Reply #347809 | Report this post

MK  
Years ago

Key is Saville, he can't be producing what he's been

Reply #347815 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

Even if Chewy scores 30, is he going to make the Hawks better? I reckon he'll take away a lot of ball from their RELIABLE outside shooters, and that will make them worse

Reply #347816 | Report this post

pwned  
Years ago

I'd have Ubaka starting at the 2. Soup just hasnt been producing enough to warrant the game time he has been receiving.

Davidson
Forman
Saville
Ubaka
Martin

Reply #348167 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

That's a good starting five.

Reply #348192 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:20 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754