hoopie
Years ago

Did the Tigers lose the season when they lost DC?

So why did the Tigers lose DC? Was it cos of Seamus? Listening to his comments ages ago, DC was VERY happy to be out of there.

Topic #27381 | Report this topic

Happy Days  
Years ago

Club has lost its spirit and you would have to think there will be wholesale changes at the end of the season.I wouldnt expect Lewis or Walker will be there next year going by there minutes.

Reply #347633 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think he was even a late signing the contract before so probably wasn't feeling too much love from the club as it was.

Reply #347635 | Report this post

MK  
Years ago

they lost when Al got sacked...

would laugh hard if Gleeson was axed too after so much promise

Reply #347638 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Would DC have really made much difference?
They already were overloaded with 2s and 3s.
They got rid of him (probably the wrong guy to get rid of) and added a Point Guard in Patty.

They had Corletto, Lewis, Ubaka, Dorsey, Dillon, Walker, Greer and Rush who are all 2s or 3s.
Ubaka is arguably a point guard, but really plays more as a 2.

When they lost Patty, they had Ubaka at the point and noone really else. So by cutting Ubaka and bringing in an actual point guard (and McDonald who's a point guard), they kind of helped their team balance. Still overloaded at 2 and 3, but not as much as they once were.

They really were set to fail from the start. Patty helped a lot for a while, but that was never going to last. You can't fill a team with the same types of players and ignore other areas.

If Myron is the player they need at the point, if Burston can stay healthy, what they really need to do to salvage the season is replace Dorsey with a 4. Probably won't happen, but it's what they need to do to actually challenge. If Williamson is still around waiting for a possible Sixers gig next year, he would be a good fit for them. Also would give us a look at him to assess whether we want him. This team has enough talent, just the talent is too similar.

Reply #347642 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Walker, Greer and Rush all seem to play the same role to me so if anything they are overloaded at the 3 with Dorsey as well.
Last season they overloaded at Centre and failed, this season SF and another fail, next season they should try and sign every PG in the comp and see how that goes lol.
Who on the Tigers has been shooting the ball as consistently as Corletto from outside?

Reply #347672 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I always assumed part of their problem was adding Mills to the Cairns imports and Rush. Meant that Rush was pushed to PF which isn't familiar ground for him. He's doing a lot better recently. Lose Mills and then they can make more sense if there's another big.

Reply #347675 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Isaac, in view of recent Tigers decisions, do you think the Mills signing was ultimately a failure? He wasn't here long enough to provide the Tigers or the NBL with a really big boost, plus it cost the Tigers a good, long term servicable role player in Corletto, plus the fan back-lash of seeing him go to NZ.

Reply #347680 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

Wonder who Sydney would take for Khazzouh. They can have Benny + Lucas even just to open discussions with us.

Reply #347681 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Mystro, in answer to your question about Tigers three-point shooting, the answer is no one!

Corletto has shot the three at 41.6% this season. The Tigers best shooter interestingly enough WAS Ubaka at 37.0%, then Patty Mills at 34.8%.

Their best current three-point shooter is statistically Tommy Greer at 33.3%, but given he's only made 10 all year, he's hardly a three-point 'threat'.

Ron Dorsey is next best at 31.1% and has thrown up 122 three-point attempts on the year, making only 38 of them.

Reply #347683 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Vart, hard to say. I think they had to do it. Denied other teams his services and gifted them crowds for road games he played.

Reply #347688 | Report this post

tropical booz  
Years ago

Vart u continue to impress with your knowledge!! This is Orbit by the way - TB is my laptop name.

Reply #347732 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I believe that the Tigers would be in a much better situation if they still had Corletto. I see what he has contributed on court for NZ being more valuable than what Mills contribution has done for Melbourne in his short tenure. Sure Mills averaged a few more points a game as he should of but Corletto's experience and great basketball IQ should not be over looked and I believe he's averaging around 12 points a game (can't find anything on the NBL site lol).

Reply #347780 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Your right Mystro - Corletto is averaging 11.8ppg this season.

For future reference, NBL stats are at;

http://www.sportingpulse.com/comp_info.cgi?c=0-189-0-193068-0&pool=-1&round=1&a=STATS

Reply #347782 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

cheers Vart, i went onto the NBL site and tried to bring up Corletto in the Players List, he's listed but it linked to Peter Crawford from memory.

Reply #347826 | Report this post

True  
Years ago

Losing DC was the start of the Tigers organisation falling apart.

CONGRATS to Seamus (The Head Coach, The Assistant Coach, Team Manager, Physio, Floor wiper)

True

Reply #348553 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:16 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754