zac
Years ago

Rumour: Jawai keen to play for Taipans

There is a rumour going around that Nathan Jawai is coming back to the Taipans next year. Wants to play under Fearne

Topic #27384 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I dont believe this for a second.

Reply #347687 | Report this post

Tom Ryan  
Years ago

Gonna need a source on that. Wouldn't be all too surprising though, Fearne and Jawai are good mates and Jawai killed it last time he was here

Reply #347691 | Report this post

birdman  
Years ago

he did not " kill it " check his stats again mate!

Reply #347705 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jawai averaged 17.3ppg @ 57% and 9.4rpg whilst being named MVP of the All-Star game despite being a rookie, should qualify as "killing it".

Reply #347720 | Report this post

Jacob  
Years ago

anonymous 1 birdman 0

Reply #347723 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

please he's on over $500,000 a year overseas why would he come back to 100,000 if that?

Reply #347724 | Report this post

tropical booz  
Years ago

No KFC where he is - he loves fried chicken!!

Reply #347730 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Haha MVP of the All Star game wow enough said. Was serviceable and with his body type was always going to be better than the average rookie, but went missing in the play offs if my memory serves me right. Jawai should just make as much money as he can O/s, because he isnt ever getting back to the NBA, and the NBL will never offer him the right money.

Reply #347741 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

tropical, I thought he loved turtle?

Reply #347745 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jawai is in Cairns... I saw him today. Could it be this season

Reply #347746 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

he's got a game in Europe in two days. i think you're talking crap.

Reply #347750 | Report this post

snake5  
Years ago

This is a fairly strong rumour floating around up here at moment, and some of the aroma is coming out of the CBA complex itself.
Doubt that it will be this year; even though the Taipans bench is pretty light-on.
As for him not "killing it"....you cant be serious.

Reply #347787 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

By a rookie standards he completely killed it! By veteran standards he was still a very good player and one of the top four centres in the league.

I havent heard this, but it wouldnt surprise me either. After two years in and out of the NBA he went to Europe to get back there but that hasnt worked out. He has made good money and maybe he is ready for a stint at home?

Reply #347791 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Are either Loughton or Crosswhite out of contract at the end of this year? My memory says theyre not. Add Jawai and that's one big and talented frontline! Unlike the Tigers, I think Fearne and the Pans could actually make that work.

Reply #347793 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He scored 17.9 ppg @ 59.1%. Right up there with the best.

Reply #347800 | Report this post

Twinkletoes  
Years ago

Paul, don't forget that Rychart is a part of the front court also and is contracted for next season. From memory (which isn’t necessarily correct) I think Loughton has an option to continue on next season (don’t know who the option is in favour of) and I think Crosswhite is out of contract at the end of this season.

If the above 3 all stayed on next season it would be hard to fit Jawai in, particularly from a financial point of view. The following season would be a different matter though.

Reply #347805 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

paul, you must've forgotten the 2005/06 tigers team that had anstey, david stiff, neil mottram and stephen hoare and won the championship. i'm guessing that counts as 'making it work'

Reply #347821 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

Is Jawai to the Tigers possible? They desperately need him, & could probably afford him if they shed some of their SFs.

Reply #347829 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

Maybe the NBL's gonna get creative next season and have a marquee player exception in the salary cap - I highly doubt it though.

Reply #347831 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anon '821, I think the problem for the Taipans would be that all three are starters. Can't remember the level of those guys in 2006, but a couple might've been fine off the bench. Stiff played PF in Adelaide's championship and Hoare is a PF/SF.

Reply #347836 | Report this post

birdman  
Years ago

ummm, i think you will find that Jawai was scoring 17 ppg for one year when the games were 48 mins! now that they are only 40 minutes that is about the contribution that Chris Warren has in terms of ppg, Would you say he is "KILLING IT"???

maybe you have a different interpretation of the words killing it?

Reply #347841 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Look at his other stats Birdman. His rookie season is one of the best ever.

Re 06 Tigers, Crosswhite and Jawai are genuine centres, Anstey was the Tigers' only genuine centre and he could shoot and pass like a wingman.

It's a good point Isaac, but it seems to me the Cairns guys buy in pretty strongly to the system, and if that means playing 25mins but coming off the bench it's possible Crosswhite would be prepared do it.

Did Rychart sign a two-year deal before this year? That would certainly make things crowded, but I think if any team could make it work it would be Cairns.

I dont really care how it works, but it would be great to see Nate back here jamming his way around the country, playing his way to his potential rather than getting inconsistent minutes in a faraway country.

It's also easy to forget that he is only 25.

Reply #347842 | Report this post

hurley  
Years ago

pfft jawai did kill it, hence the NBA interest he got throughout his rookie season?!?!?!?!?!? 48 minutes a gamne or not 17 points per game is pretty good for a rookie come on, its ctually on the higher end of what peopel average in the league now. He had skills and a silky shot and was onlly gonna improve, he made a star of himself and people actually wanted to watch him unlike most players the league has had. yes he killed it.... next?

Reply #347866 | Report this post

birdman  
Years ago

ok mate.... you keep calling that killing it.....I will reserve my big statements like that for real performances like maybe a star player who can at least average 20 points in a full 48 minute game!

you probably "killed it" at high school when you got all B's?? some people just have higher standards i guess?

like you said his performance was pretty good, but not much more!

Reply #347898 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jawai only played 30 mpg, outstanding figures. So good in fact he got drafted by an NBA team immediately after that season.

Reply #347902 | Report this post

birdman  
Years ago

Ater majok got drafted too, was he "killing it"?

Reply #347903 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Carl Lewis was also drafted.

Reply #347913 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Elvis got drafted, so did Ali. Neither of them killed anything.

Reply #348160 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why the hate Birdman, he was only 20 years old in his rookie season, so he was definately killing it, were you even watching his games? Or are you just looking at the stats? If you were watching the games, you would know he completely killed it over here, and btw Ater Majok is also completely killing it over in Europe at the moment as well :)

Reply #348178 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Majok is playing well in a pretty average competition, he certainly isnt "completely killing it over in Europe".

As for Jawai, you are both right, he absolutely killed it for a rookie, but didnt kill it in comparison to best players in the league. He was one of the better centres in the comp though.

Nate didnt play last night in the Euroleague, just to add a bit of fun fuel to the fire!

Reply #348187 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

What was most memorable about Nate's rookie play in the NBL is that he played with a sustained level of power and athleticism not previously seen in the NBL by a locally born player (no disrespect to Simon Dwight or Sam Mackinnon). For a local player he generated a buzz around the League not seen since perhaps Andrew Gaze.

It is reasonable to suggest his rookie performances were on par with the rookie seasons of this country's best locally born players, yet he has struggled to go on an establish himself as a lock for national teams.

Reply #348247 | Report this post

Scott  
Years ago

Yep definitely didn't play in the euro league game. We'll have to wait and see whether he plays next game or not. Pretty sure he aint injured so maybe theres some truth to the rumor.

Reply #348379 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

He is still in Cairns, as poster above mentioned. Family business.

Reply #348418 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:10 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754