hoopie
Years ago

Who should replace Gleeson?

Given the current squad and the type of play that would suit them, who's the best fit as coach? Reckon Drewey would ever get the nod from Seamus?

Topic #27391 | Report this topic

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

D-mac.....?

Reply #347862 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

I liked D-Mac in the job but a comment made against him was that he didn't put enough emphasis on defence. Mind you, given the way they're going under TG, I can't say they're consistently better.

I was asking more along the lines of: do they need a skills coach to develop their young guys, or a tough coach to get them off their asses, or a coach who pushes fast breaking and team-work to use their athleticism, or ...

I look at Gold Coast and Perth and the Breakers and I see teams that can pass quickly and always seem to find an open man who nails the shot. I don't see any of that with the Tigers, and that really annoys me!

Reply #347870 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Those three teams have a fair bit more talent than Melbourne.

Reply #347871 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gold Coast pass quickly? Only on the first posession. Then it usually gets overhandled by their import PG for the rest of the game!

Reply #347873 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Maybe Gaze with a technical understudy? I saw him coach first hand over in China; always assumed he was that mild-mannered, ever-smiling friendly guy but he has a tougher side and would know how to pull people into line. Obviously he'd command respect from his sheer ability on-court. If he was interested, he could be worth a shot.

Reply #347878 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Al Westover

Reply #347882 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

Anon - no no no no no Westover! gleeson over-coaches at the game, Westover under-coached. He never gave me any confidence that he could create a play on the fly, and gave little useful guidance to players when we were in trouble during the many games I saw him coach.

Reply #347885 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Gaze earns to much $$$ doing media and commercials so why would you stop that to coach??? Plus he has said on anumber of occaisions that he is keen to take a back seat with no desire to coach the Tigers!

Copes maybe?? i know first hand he is a great development coach so maybe with a good offsider he could be good.

Otherwise look at ABA/SEABL level and pick someone you'll stick with for a few seasons who can make there mark on the team choosing there own signings etc

Reply #347890 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Radford

Reply #347891 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Pat Reidy

Reply #347899 | Report this post

tropical booz  
Years ago

Bill Tomlinson

Reply #347904 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

mark watkins

Reply #347905 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bloody hell. He's been there 1/2 a season.

Reply #347911 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Doubt Dmac will ever go back after the way he was treated.

Gaze is actually a good coach, like Isaac said, there's a side of him the general public has not seen. But imagine if Seamus fired Gaze?

Reply #347917 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

The real question here is: who should replace Seamus?

Reply #347925 | Report this post

Julian  
Years ago

Dave Ingham

Reply #347926 | Report this post

Bball Fan  
Years ago

Mr Ian Stacker!

Reply #347928 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gleeson has 2 more years after this doesnt he?
Still, a contract isnt worth shit at Melb as we have seen

Reply #347932 | Report this post

MK  
Years ago

Goorjian or maybe Phil Jackson so Seamus can fire some legend coaches to the list of coaches he fires.

Reply #347948 | Report this post

True  
Years ago

Seamus will never hire a coach that would standup to him! Therefore its either Gleeson or a average guy with very little coaching experience. The Tigers are heading down the path of missing out of the finals and the buck stops at GLEESON!

True

Reply #347961 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dave Ingham! Gold. That clown couldn't coach his way out of a paper bag.

Reply #347982 | Report this post

DT  
Years ago

Rohan Short with an experienced assistant coach.

Reply #348061 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

DT - why? Ii don't know him, so what does he bring?

Reply #348063 | Report this post

DT  
Years ago

He's done time as an assistant under Stacker and now Gleeson so is experienced at this level.
He was great at the Spectres. I know SEABL isn't the same as NBL but he did a great job with a not so great roster. From what I saw at Spectres he has a big emphasis on defence which is something the Tigers need.
He's young and has the drive so if it is successful, he could be there for a while giving a bit of consistency to the club.
He would be cheaper than other coaches (which becomes a factor with the way Seamus acts) and I think the Tigers need a fresh new outlook.

As I said though I think he would need an experienced assistant for at least the first year.

Reply #348088 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Short.

Reply #348110 | Report this post

MK  
Years ago

Rohan Short or Darryl Mcdonald? mmm I know who I'd take...

Reply #348232 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Molloy

Reply #348237 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

After the way McDonald acted and parted ways with the club, I don't know that he will have a chance.

I agree with DT and anon. Give short a go.

Reply #348243 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Molloy hasn't set the SEABL on fire at the Miners.
Short is a very diligent coach, hard working, well connected, well liked and a great scout of opposition teams.
Short without question.

Reply #348249 | Report this post

Teapotzz  
Years ago

Why do you want to replace Gleeson? Replace Seamus and the team will be better! There is no way the players can just play the game when they know that a bad one could see them fired in the locker room afterwards!!! Every coach has faults and people don't like things they do but Gleeson is a proven coach, just take a look at his record with the Crocs. It's his first season at the Tigers and lets be honest, therre have been a LOT of distractions (Mills, Ubaka) Give the guy a chance for crying out loud!!!

Reply #348250 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seamus has the money.Ubaka at the Tigers was a bust.

Reply #348256 | Report this post

Julian  
Years ago

Anon - re: Ingham, I was clearly taking the piss, adding to the list of other laughable candidates suggested.

Reply #348257 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Short best up and coming coach in the business

Reply #348808 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:33 am, Wed 20 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754