very old
Years ago

NBL scheduling - Japanese league idea ?

I read this article linked in this post

http://www.hoops.com.au/forum/27402-al-westover-article/

and noted this

Comprising 19 teams across two conferences, the BJ League boasts a 52-game season that includes a double-header every weekend against the same opposition.

Now I know that at first glance it seems a little bush league and retrogressive ( like when the NBL teams travelled to Melbourne for 2 games in the weekend. Or the WNBL had 3 game weekends in Melbourne and Adelaide.

BUT - I would not mind seeing a (say) friday night game backed up with a Sunday night game against the same team every second weekend, or even a Thursday/Sat or (at a stretch) a wed/fri set.

This would seem to be more financially responsible for the league.

Or perhaps a 4 game in 21 days format where each team plays 2 games each in consecutive weekend, and then skips a weekend.

Please feel free to shot this down, about time I was the target instead of the sniper ;)

Topic #27408 | Report this topic

MACDUB  
Years ago

I would like to see NBL games condensed whereby teams play 2 games every weekend.

It is kind of silly that teams play 28 regular season games from October 7 to March 25!

That is 28 games over 4 months and 3 weeks.

Do you reckon that if they shortened the season, teams might be able to attract more high quality imports?

Think about it..A European professional might be willing to come here and play for 3 months, but might be unwilling to sign a contract that requires him for over 5.5 months (including pre-season training).

Just a thought..

Reply #348224 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Need a spread schedule to get good crowds and to get more games on tv, which is very important to sponsorship. Most leagues actually only play one game a week so the NBL schedule is pretty normal.

Reply #348245 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

More crowd revenue could justify higher salaries for players and thus better quality players, but not enough fans would want to pay higher season ticket costs or truck to venues twice a week almost every week.

Reply #348261 | Report this post

very old  
Years ago

Macdub -

good point re the short season and thus (perhaps) a smaller import player cost to the club,

Hi Paul

I'm not certain which leagues you are referring to in respect of playing one game a week. That may well be true(ish) of college basketball and some football codes, but American and European basketball leagues are often more than one game a week.

Issac

But would ( slightly) more games in a shorter time span actually increase single game costs to spectators ?

On the other hand, I would assume the same number of games in a shorter span could actually decrease costs -

Reply #348264 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

More venue costs.

One option could be to add say 3-5 games and play them in regional centres - they are not included within a season ticket but the clubs can still try to make some money from them. Charge $10-15pp in Whyalla, Mount Gambier, etc. Might not be worth the effort though.

Reply #348274 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

very old - most European leagues play one game a week.

Reply #348283 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

What Paul hasn't highlighted, is that many European teams play in multiple competitions. So the teams sometimes play more than one game per week.

Reply #348338 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

That's true, but the vast majority of European teams only play one a week. As far as I know it's really only the US and Asian leagues that regularly play multiple games.

Reply #348355 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:20 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754