very old
Years ago

Who should coach the sixers in season 13/14 ?

Lets just forget the sack the coach issue , and start to look at who may be avaiable to get signed up in 13/14 which is when the current coaching contracts finish.

For BOTH the head and assistant coach positions you need to look at ll the following

( eg Go 1) for head but 2) for assistant - Hurley mentoring Clarke ( unlikely) could have done well this season)

1) resign existing group ?

2) recycle an ex nbl head coache ( Palmer, Stacker, Joyce, Smyth, Brett Brown (!!), Flanagan, Tom Maher (!!!), Guy Molloy )

3) Steal an existing one ( Geordie, Glesson - when the fat controller dummy spits again)

4) Elevate an existing NBL assistant ( Cooks, Radliff, Vickerman ? )

5) go OS ? College or pros ? US or Europe ?

6) get an experienced Aust/Nz non-nbl head coach
eg ( Tab Baldwin,- or a Seabl mens coach - a WNBL coach - Carrie Graf ( -snort- ) - Dean Kinsman ( - hey at least he was local !!)

7) Go for new (inexperienced) coaching blood entirely (again !!??) ( A gaze, B Maher )

just asking and starting a thread.

Topic #27423 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I dont think they will exist in 2013, they will be bankrupt again.

SOS means SOS

No money from finals, lost members and sponsors

Reply #348509 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

plz enough of these posts !

Reply #348511 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who should coach the sixers in 2016/17. Just getting in first attack on the next new coach! The sixers team is not good. Bring in Phil Jackson and you will get the same results.

Reply #348512 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

The same one who will be coaching in 2012/13. How can anyone forget about the "sack the coach" now demands.

Reply #348514 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Errol

Reply #348515 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am free

Reply #348516 | Report this post

Justin  
Years ago

Shane heal needs some cash

Reply #348528 | Report this post

MikefromtheK  
Years ago

Shane Heal would be alright. Wasn't he the player-coach of the Dragons. Try and get some assistants around him- whether it be from US colleges or people in Australia and it could be feasible. Either way 36ers got to look beyond the box because they ain't going nowhere atm.

Reply #348534 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is that the same Shane Heal that coached the Dragons to the wooden spoon and was then immediately sacked as both coach and as a player?

Fun Shane Heal fact he finished his career winning back-to-back wooden spoons with two different clubs (Dragons + Blaze).

Reply #348539 | Report this post

MikefromtheK  
Years ago

In fairness to him his team was too white!

Reply #348541 | Report this post

Leon  
Years ago

Jamie O'Loughlin

Reply #348545 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I am thinking you could get about 8 potentials, put them through a series of gruelling challenges covering cooking, garden makeover, weight loss and house renovations. At the end of it, "you're hired"

The coach will be one lean, green thumb, handyman cooking machine.

Reply #348548 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Jack, don't forget catwalk modeling.

Problem with lists of prospective coaches is finding one that doesn't sit within "has no NBL coaching experience either" or "got dumped from his last role for underperforming." Realistically, I imagine it'll be a combination of both if two came in.

Reply #348551 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

I agree with previous poster that if dont replace Clarke now or at least season end then I cant see with a further loss of revenue how SOS will be able to continue against this of course the Clarke payout will hurt also.
It is a terrible position SOS are in now.
Who would have thought

Reply #348559 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Learn from it - no 3 year deals til coach can actually coach! Not rocket science & SOS can't blame anyone else!

Reply #348584 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

orbit, well, they can probably ascribe some blame to the coaches for not making much progress. On getting themselves in that position, that's fine but they'd either end up having to pay a premium for a shorter deal or would struggle to attract anyone decent from out of town which limits the pool immediately.

To answer the original poster:

1) Not as is.

2) How long has Palmer been out of NBL coaching? Stacker likely to be happy at the AIS. Joyce has been moved on from his last two clubs. Smyth tied up with his new venture perhaps and game might have moved past him. Wouldn't Brown be happy wherever he is?

3) Gordie is not going to leave the Hawks. Gleeson shifted on from the Crocs and now hardly impressing with Melbourne? Not convincing.

4) Didn't think Cooks showed much when he took over after Joyce? Don't know enough about Radliff. Vickerman, maybe. We got one year's championship assistant, still didn't elevate him to HC and that hasn't really worked.

5) Gambling with someone who has little knowledge of AU basketball. Club is already copping it for gambling with Ninnis (played NBL, ABA coaching experience, NBL AC experience) and Clarke (played NBL, ABA coaching experience, international juniors).

6) At least Tab Baldwin is interested in an NBL job, but who'd think that was a rock solid choice?

7) Gaze at least has some coaching experience but would he leave behind his Tigers?

As previously stated, I've wondered about testing the water for the rest of the season with Clarke backing up Maher and Radford out. Have heard a suggestion of Maher with Ninnis helping him. Not really sure what to think of that but would support them giving it a shot.

Reply #348602 | Report this post

SixerFan  
Years ago

This topic becomes pointless if Clarke has a successful season 12/13.

If there was to be a change though I'd like to see Baldwin if he wanted the job.

Maybe bring Liam Flynn back to assist him?

"Leon" what has Jamie O'Loughlin got to do with this? Are you him?

Reply #348605 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To save the payout wouldnt it be wise to do what Adelaide United did, demote Clarke and Radford to either assistant or development/academy coaches, bring someone else in as Head Coach, if they walk then the payout will be alot less. If they stay have our good youngsters do individual development sessions with our good young talent, answering to the head coach.

If this is an option, ie contracts dont prevent it somehow, id like to see the club do it. Isaac makes a good point about no real standout candidate as all are either in experienced or let go for various reasons from previous clubs.

If no real standout is available i wouldnt mind seeing a Maher, Brooks, Sapwell combo. A bit left field and very inexperienced, but all club champions, Sapwell and Brooks have both been assistant coaches for the 36ers, Brooks also had a stint with the Hawks, both are ABA championship coaches and Maher is a club legend and id back him to be a good coach, definatly worth a shot, a bit like Hird with the Bombers. Also potentially cheap option as all living locally and may just be happy to have a crack and help the club. Could look at a Smyth or Ninnis as an assistant if we need someone with experience in the mix, and both seem to have a good relationship with Maher.

Reply #348626 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BTW Maher as head coach with Brooks and Sapwell as assistants.

Reply #348628 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

What is Brian Gorgian doing these days? Couldn't be worse than what we have now.

Reply #348631 | Report this post

very old  
Years ago

Thanks for the serious reply Issac - ... The names I put in were just the "EG's" that I could think of under each category - I'm certain that others could throw in some ones I would not even know of.

cheers

Reply #348658 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

'626, if money is an issue, do you think they could afford to bring on three guys like that? Would also be a huge gamble doing that for more than them coaching out this season as an experiment. I do like all three of those guys personally though - great people.

Spinner, in China. People keep saying he's on $1m/yr. Of course he'd be no worse. He'd be the best option in terms of NBL-experienced coaches if money were no issue.

very old, if we can't think of more, chances are that they are not NBL-experienced, right? You did miss Westover and Goorjian, but I think they're contracted. Goorjian should stay where the money is as long as basketball in China stays strong. Westover, maybe he'd want to come back, but not sure if he'd be a great choice. There might be some NZ NBL coaches, but doubt it.

Reply #348661 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shanahan.. very smart basketball brain. Deserves a shot.

Reply #348665 | Report this post

Europa63  
Years ago

Shawn Dennis.....I'll keep saying it.

Reply #348744 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Europa, I can probably write in some code that detects threads with "Sixers" and "coach" in them, and auto-posts about Shawn Dennis for you... ;)

Reply #348746 | Report this post

Julian  
Years ago

Palmer is coaching in Japan.

Reply #348809 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maher with Clarke as an assistant.

Reply #348852 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

jan stirling

Reply #348853 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

all l can say is that the 2 clowns who are coaching sorry l mean screwing up this club now should never coach again . All anyone can ask for is some one who CAN coach who CAN relate to fans who CAN bring out the best from his team and most of all CAN say l am only human and l do make mistakes but will try to unite and not divide the club from FANS

Reply #348880 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is that the same Shane Heal that had something to do with NBA player Mark Price being sacked as Dragon's coach?

Reply #348903 | Report this post

Not Deano, nooooo!

Reply #350380 | Report this post

Bake  
Years ago

I don't think there will be any real significant changes to the coaching staff next season. Contracts will be honoured.

Reply #350383 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:08 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754