Wayne
Years ago

Rubio's increase in output over last Euro season

Just a question.

Last year we all would not have rated Rubio given his Stats in Europe.

Now he is exceeding expectations in the US and even have the Wolves holdiing back there maximum offer for him after his Rookie contract (see Love's signing)

What gives?

Why the difference in output?

Someone is gonna say court size and openess BUT I am sure Steve Nash wouldn't have sich pitifiul stats in Europe for example.

Was he injured?

Not being payed? (WTF)

Topic #27444 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

it's the gamestyle, the NBA style is much more suited to how he plays

Reply #348826 | Report this post

celtic green  
Years ago

There was an interesting article a couple of weeks ago (on Yahoo I think) that quoted Magic Johnson when he said, a year ago, that Rubio would kill it in the NBA because guys in the NBA run to the rim, and a guy like Rubio that suits him (on the fast break he was talking about) where as the guys in Europe look to settle for the jumper a lot

Reply #348827 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Yeah, I would have to say that the playstyle suites Rubio to a tea, that and the fact that his teammates are quick enough to react to the passes.

Also, I find that despite the defence played, most defensive placements on the court tend to leave rather large corridors for passing, drives etc.

If you're playing Euro-ball and are already getting a high assist/turnover ratio, then the NBA is going to be a cakewalk for you passing wise.

Reply #348828 | Report this post

johnny_sack  
Years ago

Yeah i think the fact that most defensive schemes use man to man in the NBA (zone is rarely used) makes a difference. And by all accounts, the coach Rubio had at Barcelona was a pretty dogmatic kind of guy - and he really shackled the best parts of Ricky's game.

ROY of the year should be very interesting this year. I am wondering if Irving's abbreviated college career catches up with him and he hits "the wall". And Rubio leads the Wolves to the 8th spot in the West (i can dream can't i?)...

Reply #348842 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

Doesn't the Euro game also involve a lot more blatant fouling to stop fast-breaking guys like Ricky?

Reply #348844 | Report this post

johnny_sack  
Years ago

"ROY of the year" - yep... you guys know what i mean... Of course were this a real award it'd be Hibbert's no doubt. But i mean Rookie Of The Year.

Reply #348847 | Report this post

hmp  
Years ago

And the coaches at the Euro league are really really bad in comparison to the NBA coaches who maximise players potential.

Ty Lawson was often quoted complaining about how the coaches and system in his team ran when he was there in Europe.

Reply #348854 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone who had seen Ricky play rather than just read his box scores would have known that he was capable of this. No surprises here...

Different game style, different defensive rules, all suit Ricky more than Euro style.

Reply #348939 | Report this post

JOaRiDrAN  
Years ago

Love rubios game

Reply #349352 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:13 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754