Isaac
Years ago

Abysmal DeSagana Diop free throw attempt

He is a 47% career free throw shooter, but this attempt is just not very good at all.

Bonus unrelated docfunk image.

Topic #27447 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ever since he left Dallas he hasn't been good at all.

Reply #348863 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

I've often wondered how as a professional so many players shoot such poor percentages.

I would have thought it reasonable to shoot min 80% from the Free Throw line.

Thoughts?

Reply #348865 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Bizzy - 80% might be a stretch, but 70% seems reasonable.

I can't understand why someone can't shoot 200 a day until they improve. Big guys who can rebound, block shots and hit free throws will get a mid-range NBA contract on a contender.

Very valuable in the playoffs, and equally as risky to have on the court if they can't shoot clutch FT's.

Imagine Shaq as a 70% FT shooter - scary

Reply #348866 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL

I've seen a number of airballs from the FT line in the NBA before but never one as short as that!

Reply #348867 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

At least hit the ring on every attempt?

Reply #348868 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some people don't understand, players with such long arms and big hands just cannot shoot the basketball, Rondo, Shaq, Howard, Griffin, DeAndre Jordan the list goes on. The best shooters are players with smaller hands and relatively shorter arms, Miller, Allen, Steve Novak, Mike Miller etc.

Those physical gifts also have a negative which is almost impossible to overcome, not saying there isn't players with these gifts that can shoot, but it's extremely rare.

Reply #348869 | Report this post

Rasheed30  
Years ago

Kevin Durrant doesn't have any problems with his long arse arms

Reply #348870 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^^^^^As i said, it's very rare, Kevin Durant is a rariety.

Reply #348871 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Reply #348872 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Hey, at least he wiped his hands on his shorts afterwards!

It's all mental, you could see the stress on his face thinking about it way too much. Same with aussie rules, you see guys who kick 9/10 set shots in practice but talk themselves out of it in a game.

Reply #348873 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

If they're coordinated enough to make 15-ft jumpshots then why can't they make 15-ft foul shots?

Reply #348874 | Report this post

The Brad  
Years ago

Amare Stoudemire- 80%
Tyson Chandler- 78%
Pau Gasol- 78%
LaMarcus Aldridge- 77%
Al Jefferson- 74%

All big fella's with long arms and big hands....

Reply #348875 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Shaun Bradley - 72%.

Reply #348876 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Pretty sure I read that the reason MJ was a good shooter was his large hands (insert any punchline you like people).
Able to spread the fingers and get a better rotation on the shot.

How come Kwame isn't the best shooter going around (career 57%) he of the "little hands".

Reply #348877 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Yao Ming 83%

Reply #348878 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Great commentary on the Jordan free throw. Listen a few times..

Reply #348881 | Report this post

MC  
Years ago

One of those commentators almost sounds like Kermit the Frog on the Jordan free throw!

Reply #348882 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

big hands long arms theory is bull...we all shot little balls to our homemade little rings with greate success.

Reply #348896 | Report this post

dude  
Years ago

Dirk has big hands and long arms too.

Reply #348902 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^ dude dirk's hand are really small for his height, and his arms aren't extroadinary long either

Reply #348909 | Report this post

Jive Turkey  
Years ago

The offense per se has been putrid in the NBA this season .. the rush to get things up and running post the lockout has clearly played havoc with teams' chemistry ect.

The NBA ppg is about 11 lower than the average for the past three or four years ..

Reply #348912 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Reply #348915 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

Give Reggie Evans a run for his money

Reply #348918 | Report this post

celtic green  
Years ago

That is so short, can't believe it.

Funny how all the guys who struggle (and use the long arms/large hands excuses) are not renowned for their work ethic either. Shaq being a prime example.

Reply #348919 | Report this post

celtic green  
Years ago

Jordan had huge hands, career 83.5% free throw shooter

Reply #348920 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I love his assumption that his teammates are going to want to slap his hands after that effort. At least the net moved!

The first "related video" on your Reggie Evans example features Ben Wallace with two straight airballs.

Reply #348921 | Report this post

David  
Years ago

I still agree with the reason that big hands are the reason why big man are worse shooters. Just imagine trying to shoot a mini basketball. Its alot harder shooting at the ring then a normal sized basketball. It's harder to aim and it's harder to measure the distance when you shoot. That's what big men have to deal with in the NBA, the ball is alot smaller to them and therefore it's harder to aim and measure the distance.

Just look at the clip below and watch Shaq holding the ball before he shoots the free throw. It looks like he is holding a mini ball, this is why big man tend to be worse free throw shooters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NT9-DckWq8Q

Reply #348926 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Diop has never ever been good, no idea what the Cavs saw in him to select him in the lotto with the 8th pick back in 2001.

Dallas giving him $32 mill over 6 was dumb, but what's even dumber was the Bobcats trading for him.

Reply #348927 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

If I shot free throws with a mini-ball 300 times a day, I'd make more than 48%.

I would be very surprised if any of the terrible free throw shooters were truly trying to improve by practicing every day.

Reply #348932 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What was Diop's nickname in Cleveland again, Lasagna Flop?

Reply #348967 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

doc, I also wonder how much of it at that level is mental, being able to clear the mind to stick with a routine.

Reply #349002 | Report this post

TP  
Years ago

This is still the worst one I've seen

Reply #349235 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Little guys envy the big guy's height and imagine that could play their same game, but above the ring. They fail to realize that height comes with some disadvantages, weight, coordination, bio-mechanical disadvantage...

Reply #349238 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:51 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754