Isaac
Years ago

Fearne after Taipans lowest score: I don't care

There's a length limit on topic titles so make sure you read the quote in full before jumping in. Just contrasting this to Clarke's comment about not being focused on the wins, just on the process, etc (presumably) that incensed 36ers fans.

Not sure how Cairns fans feel about these Fearne quotes, but I suspect it shows you what a coach can get away with when they're overperforming (Taipans are 5th with a 10-9 record, yet tipped to be nearer the bottom) and when the club has recently seen some post-season progress (made the final series last year). Had the 36ers scored a club-low and Clarke made a comment like this, I would've put my house on at least one comment saying that he was disgracing the history of the club, no pride, etc.

But like I said, the reaction is very different when you're winning more than you're losing!

NUMBERS don't worry Taipans coach Aaron Fearne, which is lucky.

His side's 76-49 defeat to Gold Coast on Sunday night ranks as the fifth-lowest total in league history and if it wasn’t for some sloppy Blaze shooting they could have easily lost by more than they scored.

It was the club’s lowest-ever score, beating the 53 they managed against New Zealand in the grand final series last year.
"I don’t really care about those records, they don’t really bother me," he said.

"If you lose, you lose. We’ve had lots of positive results too."
Full article

Topic #27450 | Report this topic

KingJames  
Years ago

I think the difference is (besides him leading them to the finals and a decent records this season considering the changes and injuries) that other teams have a few bad games each season while the sixers only have a few good games each season.

A few bad games each season is fine. 2-3 Seasons of consistent bad games is not fine

Reply #348886 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Fearne aint a big believer that scoring lots of points is good basketball. He'd be as happy to win 40-39 as 100-99.

Reply #348890 | Report this post

Jive Turkey  
Years ago

I think if nothing else it's indicative of a performance the taipans have no need at all to dwell on .. They've been ultra competitive in nearly all their road games this season (which has been an achilles heal of the club since day one) so you want to keep the playing group positive and not dampen their self belief.

This is what a lot of people don't get when coaches don't go to town on their team (via the media) after a shocker .. What happens behind closed doors is another matter altogether and you can be sure Fearne has dialled up the intesity at training a notch or two this week.

Reply #348893 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

Paul-spot on !
when you run with fearnes theories,every so often it can blow up in your face.

Reply #348935 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

paul- that's my thought too. to say you don't care about winning that's just plane stupid. Fearne is obviously worried about the loss but just not the score. if he won 49-48 i don't think you'd really care either...

Reply #348946 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How many games have Adelaide been completely bashed in? As in obliterated by a scoreline similar to that suffered by Cairns and then Townsville against Perth?

Reply #348958 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Keep in mind Fearne hasn't exactly got much to work with offensively. The only gun scorer they've got is Wilson and he has some shockers and is too inconsistent.

They're defensive minded because they have to be.

Reply #348969 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #348980 | Report this post

snake5  
Years ago

Fearne isnt saying he doesnt care if they lose. The paint pealing off the walls in the dressing room after that particular loss would probably be testament to that. He is saying "lose by an inch, lose by a mile"; which is Pauls point.
And what is the alternative? Dwell on it and drill a loser mentality into the team?
Despite the pre-season exodus, and the tip that Cairns would be wooden spooners this year, they are hovering around a play-off spot.
Fearne has been a major part of this, and last years, success. Yes. They never win by big margins. But its still a win, right? Yes. This was a pasting. But their record on the road this year has lifted dramatically. And yes. Despite playing it down, there was bitterness about the preseason events. But Fearne has a knack for picking imports out of nowhere. Wilson has been brilliant, and Warren has played some game saving basketball; inconsistent, but a high scorer otherwise.
The Crocs got a belting as well last week. The two teams play on Friday. Both will be bouncing back.
A torrid game, that will be.

Reply #348985 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not commenting on that it was a loss or margin, but setting a record low for the club. In Adelaide, that would be a huge issue. I remember how much Ninnis copped it for a six point third quarter up in Cairns, or something like that.

Reply #349028 | Report this post

snake5  
Years ago

Agreed.
And from that aspect, the result was woeful.
We have a reputation for not being big scorers, but that result takes the whole thing a bit too far....

Reply #349078 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:39 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754