Jerry Dennard Jr
Years ago

Could Jan Stirling be a successful NBL coach?

I think so, but are there any other female coaches that could also do the job?

Not trying to get into any third-wave/post-feminst/post-structuralist feminism debate here, just interested to know if people think Jan would be successful and if there are any other female coaches out there that people think would be successful coaching in the NBL today.

discuss...

Topic #27467 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

The example put up in the past of a female coaching men at ABA level is Tracy York.

Reply #349261 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

its possible but i dont think we will find out so yer

Reply #349263 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Should add that York already has some minor coaching involvement with the current 36ers.

Reply #349264 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think so. I don't think she is as good as everyone thinks.

Reply #349267 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would help if you could get her name right.

Reply #349269 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Anon - "I don't think she is as good as everyone thinks"

Jan may not be a fit for NBL, but surely you aren't questioning her abilities as a coach? How many world championships, Olympic silver medals and WNBL premierships have you coached?

Reply #349271 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I remember the Magic/Titans had a female assistant coach for a year or two.

Reply #349276 | Report this post

imonawinner  
Years ago

jan stirling could absolutely coach in the nbl & she far exceeds what tracey york could produce. another i would have ahead is carrie graf from canberra

Reply #349277 | Report this post

Jerry Dennard Jr  
Years ago

*Stirling

Apologies

Attn mods: please fix topic title

Thanks

Reply #349279 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac - York did last season. This season she is involved with the lightning.

Reply #349282 | Report this post

ANON12  
Years ago

IMO Jan would make an ideal NBL coach. Her record speaks for itself with regards to the fact that she is a winner at local, national and international levels. Jan is also one the most mentally tough people that I have ever encountered.
Jan is obviously accepted by players of both genders as can be seen by her history in women's sport and her involvement with mentoring players in the AFL so I do not believe that would be an issue.
Jan is highly respected by officials within a wide area of sports within Australia and indeed internationally, so credibility is not an issue.
The overwhelming issue may be if Jan would be actually willing to coach in the NBL??
Only Jan knows the answer to that question, but, I believe she would make it work. And I guarantee you if she did coach in the NBL the players would be the fittest in the league and would be expected to perform to the highest level EVERY game. Jan does not suffer fools or players that don't "put in" and expects elite players/athletes to perform to the highest standards when representing their team or country. It would certainly be an interesting appointment if it ever happened.

Reply #349294 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Right so because I haven't coached a WNBL CHAMPIONSHIP etc as you so cleverly pointed out, that means I'm not allowed to have an opinion? Especially considering the info where is base my opinion came from several well respected opals that played under her for years?

You tell me, when the Opals were playing USA at Beijing and the US started there run over us, what did Jan do to combat it? Where were the offences running Jackson to? When Snell started so well, how many plays were ran to her to get her the ball and a score?

Answers: Nothing, perimeter and none! Their words, not mine.

Reply #349299 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anon, my bad. It may also be "Tracey" - I wonder daily how people cannot spell "Schenscher" or "Vanderjagt" and so on, but I can never remember whether there's an "e" in her name, or if the Forestville coach is a Simons or a Symons, etc.

Reply #349301 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Add Sonya Knight to the list of females who coached men ABA/ABL sides. Sonya Knight coached the Mt Gambier Pioneers in 2003. The Pioneers, in that year, won both the SEABL Championship and the ABA Championship.

Reply #349304 | Report this post

Tweet Tweet  
Years ago

Do professional players walk around naked in the change-room/showers?

I mean I don't feel particularly comfortable with any stranger, man or woman, seeing my junk and I have zero interest in seeing anyone else’s. I don’t want to see the junk of family members. I don’t want to see the junk of friends. I don’t want to see the junk of co-workers.

But it happens at the gym change-room and the work change-room. Though of course I’d much rather it didn’t.

I think there should be no junk on display even if the room is full of men, though I understand why there are no no-junk policies in place.

I wonder what systems would be put in place to ensure the lack of junk on display when a woman coached a bunch of men.

Not I think a woman shouldn’t coach men. I don’t care. But there would HAVE to be a no-junk policy, wouldn’t there?

Reply #349306 | Report this post

Rob  
Years ago

Lori Chizik was assistant at the Titans

Reply #349309 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

At least she would be able to read the game situations and balance the player rotations unlike our current coach. May be Simpson would get some more minutes and Weigh less!!!

Reply #349316 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Michele Timms assisted the Dragons and from all reports was pretty good.

Reply #349319 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whoopi?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116168/

Reply #349330 | Report this post

Showtime  
Years ago

Ok....Ill put one out there that i've been impressed with at WNBL level...

Kristi Harrower

If you see her input during time outs and no doubt behind closed doors and at training.....
She speaks well....Certainly should have respect from players on her playing career and international knowledge and i know she still is playing but IMO i think she could make the transition to coaching Mens basketball easily.

Reply #349335 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

No... Plain and simple... Maybe a good assistant, but never would excell at coaching a NBL team. Women's game is very different to men's...

Reply #349371 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

Ricey your right, it is very different

adelaide women win

adelaide men dont

Reply #349410 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Surely she couldn't be any worse than Moose.

Reply #349484 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tweet tweet wat a silly statement... Sport is all about the showers. Nothing u haven't seen before.

$5 fine for a mystery d@$k I say Haha

Reply #349722 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

People used to say women couldnt be business managers too. Stirling certainly has the potential to be a good coach.

Reply #349730 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:40 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754