Ballets life
Years ago

College or NBL

For an Australian basketballer is it better to go to college or to play in the NBL if you want to try and make it to the NBA. I personally think the college pathway is a lot better but have heard that higher level basketball programs won't take you on scholarship if you plan on going to college because they want the young talent to stay and play in Australia. What do you think?

Topic #27489 | Report this topic

very old  
Years ago

5 years ago there was a very strong attempt by a still employed BA staff member to attempt to give BA a veto over ANY Australian kid from going to the US for college - it was strongly resisted by a number of those running the player development programs at that time.

There is no doubt that the college system is best for those players who have the capacity to get through the NCAA academic requirements and to do ( and pass) the college level courses while also competing ion the NCAA sports.

There is also a strong argument that the NBL, with only 9 teams, is nowhere near performing as successfully as a young player development league in the same way as it did when there were 12 - 14 teams and players such as Glen Saville, Mark Dalton, Shane Heal, Simon Dwight were able to get significant court time and also impact the league while still being developed as players.

Reply #349656 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

A lot of players these days go to College, get an idea of where they sit talent wise. Try to crack the draft, if they can't they come back. IE Walker, Allen, Bruce etc.
I think College should be the first option if you're a young player, it's a life style every player should experience if they can.

Reply #349663 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

College is not for everyone, but it has the added benefit of a free education for those offered scholarships and the chance to play the sport they love at the same time.

Reply #349666 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

My nephew is over in the states at a D1 school and they look after the whole package for him eg schooling, accomodation, medical, merchandise and the list goes on and on. This is a big D1 school so it probably a little different at some of the smaller schools.He's a freshman and will definately do his 4 years as he loves it.

Reply #349672 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Who is the nephew may I ask?

Reply #349673 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The high level BA people still want to stop players from playing college. Their logic is to keep them here to develop and lead to the NBL. The Ais is going after older kids now for this reason. GREAT IDEA (sarcasm). Shows how out of touch the top people are, wouldnt they take a look at the NBL and see the lack of young guys getting a run!?!? There are a total of about 4 rookies getting to suit up, and how many are looking like playing? You can cross woollongong off the list as they seem to be stuck in the 80's. Two guys in their starting 5 in their mid 30ss to achieve a wooden spoon and using their DPs on a gimmick to sell a feel good story. Guys going to college gives them a head start on and off the court. Degree, life skills and maturity will hold them in good stead for the future when they can no longer play.

Reply #349674 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

To be fair, the BA priority is basketball within Australia, not so much college and so on. Players can take either path - their own choice. There have been successes and failures either way.

I think basketball is doing alright considering. We have a competitive NBL, we have 1-2 guys at NBA level (about the same as we've ever really had concurrently), fair few over in college, but a great number in Europe compared to 10-20 years ago. I think Europe is the biggest threat to the NBL. Imagine if all those guys were back here: Maric, Baynes, Ogilvy, Andersen, Barlow, Newley, Ingles, Jawai and so on - huge.

Reply #349676 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Maric, Baynes, Ogilvy, Andersen, Jawai, Khazzouh, Shench.. That's 7 big men.. 9 teams.. Almost every game would be a epic big man match!! Which also means more open perimeter shots.. NBL would be a lot different.

Reply #349677 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I would have said the AIS are now taking in younger guys due to the introduction of the U17 world champs???!!! Exum got in as one of those younger guys just as 1 example...

Reply #349678 | Report this post

fido  
Years ago

My friend's son is also at a D1 college and I agree with Happy Days, the colleges do look after their players with everything from food, accomodation, uniforms, shoes, schooling etc. Why would you turn down a free education, playing college ball and the whole college life experience to sit on the bench for an NBL team and get zip? My friend's son is in his junior year and still loves it and is doing really well with his study and playing great ball. Yes he gets homesick but that's a small price to pay for the life experience.

Reply #349679 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah f*^% the nbl development wen u can go play ball in a nation that lives and breathes it!! That experience is priceless. Not to mention all the women and being the Aussie jock

Reply #349681 | Report this post

Elmo likes wasabi  
Years ago

really depends on what the individual and families concerned want - half your luck if you can crack either.

Reply #349682 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Young guys like Exxum and Simmons are there as they were such standouts for their age. Look at the new intakes. Naar for example. More concerned about the U19s.
I agree that BA should be focused on the game in this country, but you have to be adaptable to your market. Alot more kids want to go to college than straight to NBL you would find.

Reply #349683 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Definitely College. Get an education, proper training and an opportunity to live and breathe the sport in it's home. Kind of like the choice between being on a rookie list in the AFL or playing in an adult football league in New York. The level of development of young players in the NBL is purely accidental.

Reply #349685 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

My nephew goes to Auburn University on a track and field scholarship.

Reply #349689 | Report this post

Latrentis  
Years ago

No contest...college! Get to play the sport you love, free education, wonderful atmosphere (which you will never get in the nbl), make great friends, etc, plus I would consider the coaching to be better. Of course getting a scholarship is not so easy, although there are many companies now offering their services to help get you in....(for $$$).

Reply #349701 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Very old said there is "no doubt" the College system is best for those that are academically capable.

While there have been a number of our guys who have been College "busts" some of our guys that have done well in College have also not gone on to perform somewhere else. That is, the College system gave an inflated view of their capacity because their conference was weak, they were a significant player on a weak roster etc etc. NCAA is a notoriously inconsistent standard of basketball - the poor conferences are very poor.

But the main reason I dispute that is because recently we have too little evidence from guys who have chosen the NBL pathway over College - Norton, Creek and few others. And here I am talking about guys who were "in the system" and had a genuine College or NBL choice.

Thomas Abercrombie may be a guy who found the NBL system suited him better and you would argue almost all his development has occurred in the NBL.

Reply #349702 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

A paid for college education plus learning your trade (obviously basketball in this case) in what is probably the best junior system on the planet or trying to make it as a young Aussie in the NBL...I think I know which path I'd choose.

Reply #349705 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

Age old debate

I still wish our schools and university had of gone down the path of sporting scholarships. They are the organisations that could have funded many teams across australia. My university made a $9m profit in 2004. Easily could hold a team when you have no player payments.

Reply #349710 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree with isaac. Europe will be a bigger threat to NBL than USA more with people understanding the opportunities that Europe has to offer especially with development. The main thing USA has is the language.

Having said that i have 2 kids committed or playing d1 usa

Reply #349711 | Report this post

Rock  
Years ago

No mention of SEABL, etc. Do these leagues offer development?

I think the US college experience is overrated in terms of coaching young men and women - many college coaches appear to still use the 'break 'em down and build 'em up' approach - hardly suited to personal development, particularly most Australian young athletes.

I know of several young players who spent between 2 and 4 years in the college system. They have said the 'career development' and academics are quite laughable compared to Australian opportunities.

Reply #349713 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yes seabl has development and a lot of good coaches.
but to compare this to USA where there is about 7 full time coaches in a d1 school and head coach getting about 2 mil a year.

Reply #349714 | Report this post

MK  
Years ago

i'm gonna be biased but college is the way to go imo

the experiences each kid have will be highly variable depending on which program and which state they go to.

the US system is also very different, coaches tend to welcome additional work but it's always up to the kid to ask for more etc. a more laid back attitude here sometime may not fit.

now the reason why i endorse college system, a lot of times people don't realize what making college sport really means. if you're at a decent program, work hard you can have time of your life! (I'm sure Drmic is having a blast right now!)

at college you get high media exposure, access to 1st class strength and conditioning staff and facility, medical staff not to mention you have access to indoor gym whenever you feel like shooting in most programs! you literally get a lifestyle that's better than most professional organization.

in addition to the high salary many coaches are on, i know some program spends between $4-$10mil on their basketball facility ALONE. and that's just their everyday practice center, not playing stadium!

if i have the opportunity i'd definitely go to college than staying in NBL and play pro. at the end of the day, you get 1 chance at going to college and you can play NBL for the next 10+ years!

finally, going to college you get a degree out of it! many athletes and coaches have benefited from this, some ended their career early while coaches needs a degree to be a college coach! so personally college will always be a way to go for me

Reply #349715 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

why doesnt BA set up the AIS team as an NBL team and have an agreement with certain universities so that the players get a degree as well from an Aussie university?

The NBL is generally of a higher standard than US college games and the best young Aussies would get experience playing together.

The AIS also has an international reputation so players would get drafted from the AIS' NBL team if they were performing well.

In a few Asian soccer leagues the under 21 national team is its own club in the national league.

Reply #349717 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anstey - No College
Bradtke - No College
Newley - No College
Ingles - No College
Heal - No College
Jawai - went for about a nanosecond
Dave Anderson - No College
Gaze - one year after already having gone pro for a season. Don't know how that worked out.

There's an argument that College doesn't develop as it should.

Remember, the kids are restricted with the number of hours they can spend on court and in the weight room. And they are there predominantly to get an education.

It suits some and it doesn't suit others.

Reply #349725 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It depends on the individual. If you are already at NBL level then playing against men will prob be better for you. If not, then playing in college will help develop to that standard.

In the end, some players succeed and some players fail from both routes.

Reply #349727 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I guess one issue with college is most people have to do extra tertiary study once they return to have their degree recognised because there is a disparity in the level of education between most colleges in the USA and Australia.

If education was a big thing a good player could negotiate for an NBL club to pay their HECS while they study and play here. Of course, being a big fish in a little pond over at a US college can be one hell of an experience! Mind you, girls at Aussie unis dont mind a pro athlete either!

Reply #349728 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

After college, those kids are going to be back in the NBL or Europe (or NBA if they're that good) anyway. They're not lost forever.

Reply #349741 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

Lewis, how many ex-college kids are back here and making an impact? Lucas Walker certainly isn't overwhelming - not much skill apart from his jumping ability.

Reply #349762 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

Yes it must be said that with the 100s of Aussie players with college experience, they may have scored with the ladies and had some stories to tell, but at the end of the day very few of them become bonafide stars in any pro league.

Reply #349769 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

In which case, have they made the right decision to head to a US college?

If they were fringe NBL and stayed in Australia, they could earn peanuts from a development spot and ABA while paying to study.

If they'd gone to college, they could return having found out their place in the basketball pecking order, but hopefully with a degree they can apply to work in Australia.

Obviously there are all sorts of exceptions and variations. Not sure if someone like Tovey went to college, but he has decent options. Gower hung around the NBL/ABA periphery after some time at college. Gibson went from AIS to gradual improvement in the NBL and representing his country. Ng studied locally and has played some years in the NBL now. Allen had time at college and is probably fringe NBL.

Reply #349773 | Report this post

Latrentis  
Years ago

re: "The NBL is generally of a higher standard than US college games"
Do you even watch college ball Curtley?? No way Nbl is stronger than college, of course some of the smaller conferences /schools would be, but the majority of the teams shown on tv wouldn't have much trouble against an Nbl team.
Like it has been mentioned before college isn't for everyone. Some find it easier to go through the junior ranks here and land a spot in a development squad and then earn their way to Nbl.

Reply #349886 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Overall college is a long way below professional standard, although some of the cream of the college crop could compete with pro teams. NBL teams giving time to devt and training squad players thrash college teams year after year.

The old 'I watched it on tv so I know' argument is hilarious!

Reply #349891 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

It's often raised on here, but an ABA team with Brett Maher and only one real big were 10-15 points behind a college team that saw multiple guys make the NBA (I think three are still in there?). The Wildcats and Breakers would hold their own pretty easily I imagine.

Reply #349898 | Report this post

Latrentis  
Years ago

Which college teams are we talking about here anon?? The top teams in the bigger conferences would not lose to an Nbl team, sorry mate. Some of these kids in college are amazing athletes, their coaches have them playing incredible D and some of these kids can straight up shoot...oh and remember they are kids.
I'm not bagging Nbl here, I just don't think the level of comp is as strong.
I understand what you are saying about nbl teams thrashing college teams in practice matches, but I wouldn't be using that as an argument as most of those teams are pretty mediocre compared to the more elite college teams.

This will be an ongoing argument no doubt as everyone has their own views.

Off to watch Kentucky vs Florida now so I can become more 'knowledgeable' Isn't that right Anon?

Reply #349901 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:02 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754