EC
Years ago

NBL Blitz Sept 18 & 19 in Melbourne

Does anyone know what this is about. I've heard nothing about it on this site although I have to admit that this site has been a good one for getting information. If anyone can shed some light on this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Topic #275 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

I was getting errors on the Sixers site this morning but it's back now. Nothing about the Blitz or the Sixers pre-season game against the Breakers.

I'll find out more about the Blitz.

Reply #2071 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

From the Communications Manager at the NBL, Marc Howard, responding to someone by email:

"At this stage, I cannot confirm that a pre-season tournament will be run this year. We are definitely looking into it and working out the logistics to run such an event but we have not yet determined that one will definitely go ahead. We hope to have the green light on this soon so stay tuned to nbl.com.au for more information as it becomes available."

"As for a venue, a number have been discussed including Sydney but at this stage it is more likely that it would be hosted by one of our Queensland teams."

Any thoughts on Sydney vs Queensland for the hosting rights? Basketball is looking strong in QLD recently even though Sydney had the top teams last year.

Marc had more to say on this:

"As per my email, we originally were targeting Sydney as a possible location but Queensland is now expected to be the most viable option because the likely event sponsor's operations are based there."

"Without the assistance of an event sponsor, running such an event would simply be impossible as it involves significant costs (which stopped the event happening last season)."

"It may not necessarily be popular with fans in states other the one we hold the tournament in, but we have to operate under the commercial realities that exist. I'm sure you'll agree however that having a pre-season tournament - if it does indeed go ahead - in a state other than NSW is preferable to not having one at all and a step in the right direction."

I don't think he will mind me directly pasting what he's written as it gets the word out. I emailed the NBL asking for info before I found this and due to time constraints, I don't expect more than this info rehashed at this time (fair enough!).

Reply #2073 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Thanks Isaac, I didn't mean for you to go to this much trouble, I thought someone may have already had some information. I appreciate it. Cheers.

Reply #2102 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:47 pm, Tue 16 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754