hoopie
Years ago

Are superstars over-rated?

I read that the Knicks did well without Camelo and Amare (again). It makes me wonder how much value some of the 'money men' actually bring to a team, cos the Knicks seem to have some serious talent waiting behind those two. I saw the damage Carmelo did in last year's finals, and reckon his trade did no amount of damage to the Knicks.

I'll ignore LeBron, cos he's in a class of his own and is a genuine team player. I'll throw it out there - what other NBA teams might do better without the super-stars taking the minutes and the shots?

Topic #27500 | Report this topic

tropical booz  
Years ago

That Jeremy Lin looks like a great player & he might be the answer when Anthony & Stoudy are fit. I still think a steve Nash type player is what the Knicks need as superstars need the ball where they like it. Carmello taking 30 shots a game doesnt work.

Something is missing here as there is no doubt these 2 can play!

Reply #349838 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

IMO, the dumbest thing the Knicks did was go after Melo.

Stoudamire was already having a career season and has basically died slowly since Melo arrived.

When you look at what Melo was traded for (essentially a quarter of a team), and look at what he has done; I think in this instance, he's over-rated.

Then again, just like the Jacob Holmes situation here; sometimes players just get better when they go to a new environment, thus the Denver situation.

Reply #349840 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Tigers made their third quarter run against Adelaide with Tragardh and Allen on the bench. Superstars are good but you need them in a good system.

Reply #349843 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The worst thing that happened to Melo & Stoudemire was Chandler... sounds silly but the problem is the defense can sag off him to help on Melo; so the lanes are clogged up and they end up shooting Js.

It also means the opp C doesn't have to guard Amare, there is a quicker player on him... it then means Amare has to guard a quicker player at the other end.

In D'Antoni's system, it doesn't work!

Reply #349846 | Report this post

Jackie C  
Years ago

The Tigers BEAT the 36ers when Allen and Tragardh turned up their games in the last quarter. Not sure I get your point Anon.

Reply #349847 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

game turned when they were on the bench jackie.

Reply #349853 | Report this post

celtic green  
Years ago

Putting STAT and Melo together was horrible. Both play the same (no defense, never met a shot they didn't like) and that never works. You can have 2 superstars but it works best if they compliment each other (think Jordan & Pippen).
I also don't think Chandler is the problem. He is one of the best guys in the league for rolling to the rim in a pick and roll. Knicks where ordinary last year after that trade as well (only a .500 team). The problem with them this year is they have no PG and no shooters, two things that are essential in D'Antoni's system. That was why both he and Walsh did not want Melo last year, but James Dolan (the owner) over ruled them and made the trade

Reply #349856 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Knicks also need the Zen Master Phil Jackson to come out of retirement and coach the team he once played for.

Reply #349859 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

i havent seen the knicks play since but isnt melo an around the basket kinda guy.. and isnt amare an around the basket kinda guy. and isnt chandler an around the basket kinda guy??

getting kinda repetitive isnt it?

what happens when you work that out and just deny them the ball or space ( which must be pretty rare) around the basket?

Reply #349861 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

Miami originally had their three superstars getting in each others' way but Spoelstra now has them working well together.
Shame he can't move to NY and do the same there.

And it sounds like the NY owner is another Seamus.

Reply #349867 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

I was in Denver when Melo was traded.

big celebration, good times.

funniest thing was at the Nike Shop, they said they could not sell 'his stuff' in Denver even when he was a Nuggett...

Reply #349868 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

And the owner didn't find this out before he forced through the trade? What a fwit!

It could have been worse, though - if Kobe had gone to the Knicks then it would be 40 points to Kobe every night and maybe 40 for the rest of the team.

What would be great would be to get players like Nowitzki or Garnett - Garnett's a team player even if he seems a bit of an anti-social asshole sometimes, and big Dirk delivers the goods whenever it's needed.

Reply #349874 | Report this post

Latrentis  
Years ago

Lebron a genuine team player???? Did I hear that right????

Reply #349882 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

Hey, the last time I looked, he was doing quite well in the assists department. Better than Melo by far.

Reply #349884 | Report this post

Latrentis  
Years ago

Stats don't show the whole game, and its not hard to rack up assists with Wade and Bosh on your team (I could even rack up some assists!)
Lebron has always been a selfish player, but maybe he's willing to change in order to get a ring?

Reply #349887 | Report this post

Tweet Tweet  
Years ago

I'm no apologist for LeBron but the guy had good assist numbers in Cleveland when he wasn’t surrounded by the kind of talent he is now. He averaged between 7 and 8 assists a game his last three years in Cleveland. They are great assist numbers for someone averaging around the 30 point mark.

I don’t think LeBron is an overly selfish player. People think anyone who shoots the ball a lot is selfish. It’s more complicated than that. The guy is an incredible scorer, he’d be doing his team a disservice if he wasn’t aggressive in looking for his shot.

LeBron is probably the most complete basketball player I’ve ever seen in terms of skill set, though he does need a better back to the basket game. It’s mental toughness that has held him back so far.

Reply #349890 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tigers down when Allen and Tragardh check in. Only outscored Sixers by 4 in the 3rd term. If Allen and Tragardh don't check back in the Tigers most certainly lose that game!

Reply #349904 | Report this post

celtic green  
Years ago

Lebron selfish? wow. He dominates the ball because he is so good. I am pretty sure I remember most of his coaches asking him to shoot more (look at the canning he got for passing out to Donyell Marshall that time to take the open 3 when Lebron was double teamed) and pass less

Reply #349906 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure if all super stars are over rated. MJ, Kobe, Tim Duncan, Nowitski, Shaq, Wade, Olajawon, etc all have done pretty well for themselves. But I think some elite scorers who get the media behind them get over-valued and sold as the savior too many times.

Think Iverson, Vince Carter, Stackhouse, Agent-0, Marbury, McGrady, Steve Francis, Ellis and Melo. The league needs those players as they sell arenas but if they don't get the right system, good coach and supporting players then the will just become stat-stuffers.

LeBron is an amazing talent and will be interesting to see how far he can go, but I think Durant looks more settled as a 'winner' and more poised to become a champion who has good sidekick in Westbrook and a support cast of dirty workers in Ibaka, Pekins, Harden, etc.

I'd still take a superstar like Anthony in my team so I wouldn't say they are over rated, but you need the right support cast. You have to remember MJ used to play D as did Pippen.

Reply #349910 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just look out the 76ers without any "superstars"

Reply #349912 | Report this post

Tweet Tweet  
Years ago

@Anon#349912

Phillie are doing well this season without a legit superstar. So is Denver. But neither team is going to be winning the championship this season and I'd bet neither will make the NBA Finals either.

Have a look at the NBA Finals matchups over the last 30 years and tell me how many teams without at least one superstar made it.

Detroit in 2004 and 2005 is probably the closet you'll find, but even then they had one starter in the All-Star Game in 2004.

Besides them, its 30 years of teams with superstars making the NBA Finals.

Reply #349919 | Report this post

Z  
Years ago

Ever noticed commentators bailing superstars out? He isnt shooting well, he has had that bla bla injury. Then the next quarter they hit 5 for 5 shots....or they hit nothing and they just had a bad game or their not as good as the media say they are. But unfortunately part of a commentators roll is to excite the crowd, make up crap and get more ratings.

Reply #349947 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:39 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754