Isaac
Years ago

We should probably talk about Jeremy Lin

I'd seen the name Jeremy Lin before this season (D-League boxscores), and then a couple of times as a leading scorer in NBA games recently. He's all the rage right now in the NBA, a PG elevated to start for the big-market Knicks.

The Knicks have been a bit wayward for a few years now. They got Stoudemire and then Carmelo and neither really got them on track. Lin had barely been used until starting on Saturday when he exploded for 25 points and seven assists. Including that game, his three starts have now brought 25, 28 and now 23 points. He's had 25 assists in three games. The Knicks have won all three, though none have been against strong teams.

Jeremy Lin: From novelty to Knicks star

Check this crossover and dunk from today's game:

He's supposedly the first American-born NBA player of Taiwanese descent.

Topic #27508 | Report this topic

Big Marty  
Years ago

Yeah, he's a sleeper that's for sure. The proof in the pudding will come from having either Amare, Melo or both back in the lineup with him.

Frankly I think he's providing what they had hoped Landry Fields would offer. Rumor was that after today's match, his contract is guaranteed for the remainder of the season. If he keeps up the standard, then I wouldn't be surprised if Landry Fields becomes trade bait.

You'll also notice that Chandler has been a stud for the Knicks since Lin started. Reminiscent of the Nash/Stoudamire days in Phoenix.

Frankly all the Knicks need minimum is "assists". Lin can offer that if Melo can become more of a spot shooter than an "I need the ball to make my own shots" player.

Reply #349954 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

He brings so much positive energy also which the Knicks have been lacking all season

Reply #349955 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

very nice

watch that video and i know we dont have the athletes here that the nba does but no way does he dunk that here. starts his run beyond the 3 point line no one wants to come across?? the coach would smash your head in for that.. even if your getting done for the charge lin wouldnt have even gotten the shot off before the foul. 2 shots make em earn it. what a joke. i guess it is the big show. lucky they put on such a great show. if i was a coach ild be showing that footage to my players and saying if i catch you spectating like that dont bother showing up next game.

the nba for a long time has always been about star before team. miami might learn this the hard way as they watch team after team win champs while their dream teamers make gorgeous plays.

Reply #349956 | Report this post

birdman  
Years ago

yeah saw a highlight video of this guy just today! kid can ball and he went to harvard aparently so must have a good head on his shoulders!

knicks would be loving him right now as you know he is going to be popular in the asian market which = $

great energy about him too!

watch this below clip and you will like him even more...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seX6DqKdHic

seems he made it the hard way and Golden State would be kicking themsleves right now!

Reply #349961 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Maybe the domestic Asian market, but I did wonder how he'd be supported in China given their special relationship with Taiwan?

Reply #349965 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Interestingly enough, for those who don't believe Matthew Dellavedova is an NBA prospect, Lin's college numbers from his senior year at Harvard are very similar to those that Delly is posting as a junior, albeit in the tougher WCC conference;

In his senior year (2009-10), Lin averaged 16.4 points, 4.4 rebounds, 4.5 assists, 2.4 steals and 1.1 blocks, and was again a unanimous selection for All-Ivy League First Team. He was one of 30 midseason candidates for the John R. Wooden Award and one of 11 finalists for the Bob Cousy Award.

Reply #349975 | Report this post

rohant16  
Years ago

No doubt there are always a few who slip under the radar fins a right fit and go far.

Reply #349976 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

China thinks that Taiwan is still part of China so they will claim him for sure.

Agree with Phil that is some of the worst defence you will ever see.

Reply #349978 | Report this post

ineedmore  
Years ago

Got to agree Phil

Reply #349987 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

btw i meant to say blocking foul when i said charge.

as for vart when we say delly probably wont be looked at by the nba we are not refering to his ability. the difference between a player like lin and delly is pure athleticism. we know what the nba values. i agree though that delly is putting up very impressive numbers and can see how you can compare the 2 players in that way.

delly fan right here.

Reply #349993 | Report this post

celtic green  
Years ago

Yeah he lead the Harvard team to it's best result in something like 40 years, then he played in the pre season tournament (think it was Vegas) and played really well against John Wall. Got a contract out of GS from it.
Hopefully he can make a impact (beyond these 3 games I mean). NYK are crying out for someone who can run the pick and roll, which seems to be one of Lins' specialities. If he can't make an impact as a PG in D'Antoni's system he probably can't make it anywhere

Reply #350011 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

The crossover & dunk is nothing special, but there are numerous highlight clips on Youtube of his recent games and it's pretty clear that the guy has a good head on his shoulders. He certainly runs a hell of a pick & roll. The morale of the Knicks front court must have doubled in the last week at the thought of getting his type of service.
Lin is a nice story right now. Hope he can keep it up.

Reply #350031 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

We should probably also talk about this hilarious handshake Lin does with fellow teammate/'nerd' Landry Fields:

(Source)

GIF animators, start your engines!

Reply #350065 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

After Saturday vs Steve B'Laker the hype will wear off

Reply #350156 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

We'll get to watch for ourselves. It's today's ESPN game, tipoff in 1 hour.

Reply #350168 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He had a great first half against the twolves ... this kid might be the real deal

Reply #350515 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Nice comparison Vart! Delly certainly is getting a lot of love right now...just like Lin!

Reply #350523 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Ha, just viewed this, some of the comments are absolute gold!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gnFgwbkr78&feature=player_embedded

"I should stop shouting now, I am starting to sound like Stephen A Smith"...bahaha

Reply #351286 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:51 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754