JJ
Years ago

Country Teams in the ABL

What do you think of the idea of country teams being able to play in the ABL that have been in SEABL or Big V before ie Mt Gambier , Mildura ,Renmark

Topic #27511 | Report this topic

Elmo likes wasabi  
Years ago

riverland raiders played in the ABL a few years ago.

I like the idea.

Reply #349971 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

who is going to pay for it??

unless you get a major sponsor that is going to put in at least 200k+ to subsidise travel and accomodation costs it wont happen.

good idea but wont happen

Reply #349974 | Report this post

Oh it will happen eventually , obviously JJ. Is from one of those regions and is getting a feel for a possible jump to the abl

Reply #349982 | Report this post

Elmo likes wasabi  
Years ago

money is a huge factor - would it be more or less cost for mt gambier or mildura teams to play here ?

i dont know much about how far they have to travel now.

Reply #349984 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If players pay their own way it could be a goer.
Theres no money in basketball sponsorship so thats the only why it would happen

Reply #349990 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

So the adelaide clubs end up with what the BigV clubs (or seabl) currently have - a road trip (not air) to Mt Gambier or Mildura.

Why is it going to cost so much more? Why would this need 200k?

Reply #350008 | Report this post

Elmo likes wasabi  
Years ago

a road trip once a season per adelaide based teams (bar home finals) to mildura or mt gambier would not be too much of a drama - in fact it may be a good weekend and something different.

Reply #350009 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what about some closer towns???

Reply #350017 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would need to be financially worth while... A major centre, major sponsor, cover travel costs for metro teams when they travel out there. Could work I guess but definately needs to be funded by sponsors and the township.

Reply #350022 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It wouldnt be that much of a cost for the city teams but the cost for the country sides would most likely be reasonably high not to mention the travel time that would be involved every second weekend. but it could work and would be a good weekend away for city teams imo.

Reply #350028 | Report this post

Elmo likes wasabi  
Years ago

these teams have been travelling for years already.

Reply #350029 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

we used to travel (pioneers) we had scott's as sponsor and the dreaded Lotto sports brand. used to cut the Lotto logos out and place them on our other boots ah those were the days.

On a side note - saw ex import for Pioneers Andre Lefleur on TV as assistant coach in college (I think) been in a great paddock and I am glad he is successful and pursuing his dreams.

Reply #350044 | Report this post

JJ  
Years ago

Thanks people for your comments so far, the cost would be alot less for the country teams than what they are paying now. They will really only be looking at 20K not 200k and road trips for metro teams would be something different and would not cost more than $500.00

Reply #350050 | Report this post

The Brad  
Years ago

JJ, i'm a little confused with your question here.
Do you mean the SBL as the ABL was the Australian Basketball League which covers the SEABL, Big V, QBL etc. The SBL is the local competition here, unless i've been out of the loop for too long!

Reply #350055 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Love the idea, but it would need to be done correctly. I currently play this level and would love to be able to go on 1/2 road trips throughout the season.

The level of competition would have to be maintained though, travelling 3/4 hrs to play an easybeat wouldnt be productive and for those teams travelling to Adelaide each week and getting beaten by large margins may see them lose interest after a season.

For myself, I am trying to get into an industry that moving to the country could see me land the type of job i am after, with limited opportunities in Adelaide. One thing keeping me in Adel is bball, so this would be perfect for players such as myself, where moving to the country doesnt mean giving up playing the game I love, while still playing at a high level!

Reply #350056 | Report this post

JJ  
Years ago

I dont think any of the mentioned teams would be easybeats you may be very surprised at the level they are at.

Brad: I am talking about the Adelaide league sorry I may have been out of the loop for to long as well, Hopefully someone out there will correct us lol

Reply #350068 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No doubting the talent in the country, being a country kid myself I have experienced it first hand! Just more team depth, coaching and commitment.

What about the football factor? I know of a lot of very good country players who play senior country carnival, local league etc, but also play footy for there local team. Its an ingrained attitdue of a lot of country towns that you play footy in winter and basketball/cricket in summer. Would these players leave the saturday footy (can pay $200-500 a game) to play basketball for probably nothing?

Not knocking this idea, as I have said I would love it, just needs to be done right!

Reply #350069 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What town is everyone thinking???

Reply #350178 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I think Port Pirie would be the front runner

Reply #350179 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Really? They did not perform well at country champs though!

Reply #350184 | Report this post

Showtime  
Years ago

Port Pirie Jack????

Now thats funny

Reply #350397 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

You could have two Panthers in the ABL then.

Reply #350403 | Report this post

Showtime  
Years ago

I reckon it would work with a bit of effort....
Few snags that will happen....

BSA wont help and District clubs wouldnt travel.

Could it be done....yes
Will it......no
Why......Too hard
Would be great tho
BTW we have senior comp next wend for $1000 for winner....How many District sides playing.....1 Woodville women

Thanks Jack looking forward to write ups on ABL.....Makes my week during winter

Reply #350535 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

No worries Showtime, it's a bit of fun and hopefully no-one takes offence at any of the stirs

Reply #350537 | Report this post

Showtime  
Years ago

and if they do take offence then stiff sh*t.

I havent seen anything degrading/sexist

Plenty of sarcasim/tongue in cheek write ups and certainly hit some nerves at some clubs but hey thats why we all wait around to read them....
Mainly for the great cliches/statements/quotes and .....waiting for pissed off peoples reactions....

Keep up the good work

Reply #350538 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most country teams wouldnt be competitive.

Mildura and Mt Gambier wouldnt be able to get plaers and meet the salary cap requirements. And withottheir imports, American and from Adelaide/Vctoria. They wouldnt be competitive either.

Reply #350539 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:31 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754