Degenerate
Years ago

Sam's Report - Sullivan Silences the Blue Army

Sam's Report Edition 1.0
Central V Forestville @ Starplex in Gawler, SA
"Sullivan Silences the Blue Army"

Tonight we trekked down to Starplex; the three quarter of an hour car trip was all worth it for us Forestville fans. Being my first time at Starplex, I didn't know what to expect, but a great stadium nonetheless and saw some good action.

The Re-Structure
It is quite obvious that the Central women's team is re-building its team, a lot of young talent in the team probably conditioning, the girls did well but were no match for the experienced Forestville.

The Blue Army
The Blue Army is a group of Central supporters, though they were very enthusiastic unlike a lot of clubs fans. They would cheer and dance at breaks and throw lollies to the other fans. Though in the final half of the men's game, some members of the Army started Chanting "You Suck, You Suck&" over and over again to the referee's. Instead of being stopped by other members they let them go, in one case laughing and supporting. I find that you find abuse at any stadium and arguing, but never had heard a blatant chant of abuse. It was like they were very feral and disappointed me.

Sutton/Newley/Sullivan Rain Down
Matt Sutton hit a few threes tonight and continued to grab possessions and rebounds, Sutts scored and assisted consistently. After the game, Sutts told me he reads the forum so, great game Matt!

Brad Newley! WTF! He got an amazing hang-time dunk off a rebounded lay-up which missed, he hung there, and it was like something you see on Sports Centre. Anyway, he played a great game and racked up a tonne of threes and jumpers.

Brad Sullivan played one of the greatest games I have ever seen him play; he was the match winner with his long ranged accurate shooting. Sullivan silenced the army!

Coffey, Jumping Jye and Ice Cool

Coffey played a hell a good game racking up many possessions keeping the team alive, the Lions were mostly trailing but they kept the flame alive.

Jumping Jye is simply amazing, he would hit shots you thought were just not going in, he would hit passes and shots like a finely tuned machine! A great game from Jye Watson.

Ice Cool played a great game as well getting rebound after rebound all match keeping the Lions in it.

The Court Announcer
This guy was funny because whenever Forestville would miss or something he would be all over it, whenever Forestville did something good he shut his mouth. Anyway he wasn't really alive in the first game but in the men's he got the Blue Army roaring!

Un-Sportsman like Fouls

Two of the weakest Un-Sportsman like fouls were given out tonight, both on F/Ville, and they were over nothing, then when Centrals would act similarly nothing would be done.

Final Word

The Lions would never go away; they kept clawing back and sometimes equalled the game up, the Lions showed true bravery but Forestville was too strong and had the talent playing at its best.

Great Game Eagles, great team Lions, a good night&

-Sam aka Degenerate

Topic #2753 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

great report mate.

Your not a rookie on hoops, can you set a good example for others and keep all similar (forestville v centrals in this case) threads together instead of opening new ones.

cheers.

Reply #31134 | Report this post

new hat man  
Years ago

as part of the blue army we apologise to the ref and the opposition fans but you have 2 understand that we do get a hard time from the refs not just in the abl but in the jr games 2. we are favoured the least when we play at home

Reply #31135 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"but you have 2 understand that we do get a hard time from the refs not just in the abl but in the jr games 2. we are favoured the least when we play at home"

I'm not going to start something here, but that's a feed of absolute shit. And people wonder why we struggle for refs? Most likely because of tools like you.

Reply #31139 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

referees aren't biased towards or against clubs.

it's not like when they walk in to the starplex that they read a sign saying screw the home team.

chant and cheer all you like - you pay to get in - the referees at abl level are semi-professional.

Reply #31140 | Report this post

its pat  
Years ago

no most likely because of they abuse they recieve which they woodnt if they did a fair job. especially when they are from the home team and ref there week in and week out.

Reply #31144 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well which ref was from Forestville tonight then hey? Poor Centrals, it's just so tough, isn't it? Quit blaming everyone else. It's not a conspiracy against Centrals!

People like you are why 1) refs quit 2) Centrals suck and 3) Centrals have a reputation for being feral.

Reply #31148 | Report this post

new hat man  
Years ago

i wasnt takin a dig at the umpires i was jus tryin to defend myself. i cant help the reputation that we have and i bet u if u came and spoke 2 the players and coaches of centrals you would find out that we are not 'ferals' we jus the same as ne other club.

Reply #31152 | Report this post

matty  
Years ago

do u no the women's score pls

Reply #31153 | Report this post

Clayton wrap  
Years ago

2753 - great report but coffey didnt play much. I think you mean Clayton. He was very solid again!

Reply #31162 | Report this post

Sport North  
Years ago

Your points about the Northern suburbs are right. There is a whole different breed out there and some of your points may be right in regards to crime out there.

BUT one thing is true they are very parochial, there are some great companies out there and they produce some great sporting talent. Look at centrals football club who have a dynasty. The whole community is getting behind the basketball club and many players are trying to get into the program. It all can only be good for the game!

Reply #31171 | Report this post

matty  
Years ago

ok yes the men but the girls?????? wot the hel????

Reply #31175 | Report this post

Sport North  
Years ago

I didnt know girls play sport. :)

Reply #31176 | Report this post

matty  
Years ago

wel u mite b rite at centrals because maybe they shouldn't???????

Reply #31178 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

actually why have a go at northern burbs when they had to change hackham west to huntfield heights or similar to get away from the tainted bad image

i'm sure if you did a statistical look at crime in adelaide the northern burbs wouldn't be as bad as you seem to think

besides which i thought this was a basketball forum not a racist or elistist suburbism

i have had my car stolen from athol park, broken into at bowden and st clair and the powerhouse but not touched the many times i've ventured out to starplex

Reply #31179 | Report this post

bootleg  
Years ago

Yelling you suck does not make you feral at all if you go to a 36ers game and the refs make a bad call the crowd start the you suck chat so, are you impelling that everybody at the 36ers games is feral as well? Probably not so why take it out on the centrals supporters. The reason that centrals have such a bad name is because of the people that used to be at the club, which most of them have been weeded out. I don't know what more they can do to get rid of this tag as "ferals". Maybe it will never go away but it does not help when idiots like you (#31148) anon generals them in that fashion when most of the people that were like this aren't even around any more.

Reply #31180 | Report this post

matty  
Years ago

wot the hel i'm talkin women's b/ball not crime?????

Reply #31181 | Report this post

matty  
Years ago

i'm not centrals!!!!! but i do like 2 no wot's happening u have mistaken me for someone who cares 4 centrals?????

Reply #31185 | Report this post

schoolies  
Years ago

womens game was around 32 to 85.. fville with the win
i dont see what was so hard about that

Reply #31186 | Report this post

matty  
Years ago

nothin was hard especially the players at centrals

Reply #31187 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(#31183)

think again sunshine i am not a centrals person or supporter so you can dislike me for whatever reason

just stating a fact

Reply #31193 | Report this post

diko  
Years ago

i am one of the blue army supporters we started the chant because we were sick of the refs calling one thing down foresvilles end but then at our end they wouldnt call anything descent the refs started to call fouls on both teams with about 30 seconds to go and all u guys who think centrals are feral take a good look at your own club and with the whole chearing thing ive been to most of centrals games and not once do i hear some one from the oposition cheering for there team centrals have to most proud out of any club i have seen we cheer our guys on win or lose if u walked into the stadium u wouldnt kno who was winning because we cheer for them no matter win or lose

Reply #31194 | Report this post

thirtytwo  
Years ago

Aah the good old us and them attitudes so intelligent.....

matty (#31187) you weren't at the games by your own addmission so how can you state the centrals players weren't hard I think you'll find the men have a good chance 2 make finals certainly better than a lot of clubs out there and even if they don't remember they've had a few years of rebuilding themselves under ricky.

new hat man (#31135) after many years of coaching jnrs I think you'll find this very useful..... refs, players, coaches all make mistakes. Arguing with the refs doesn't achieve much appat from
1) causing players to get side tracked from the game
2) pissing off refs more.
Consider this if an ump is truely biased all arguing will do is make him/her more biased wouldn't you think.
Simple rule (my teams including) argue with refs sit on the bench.
Talking to refs is the coaches job and trust me I have, but if eveyones having a go then what I say as a coach will have less affect.
To put it simply your team still needs to outscore the opposition, eveything else is secondary.

Reply #31196 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Please will everyone posting here proof-read what you write before hitting the post button. It does nothing for your arguments on the positive aspects of the Northern suburbs if your grasp of the English language doesnt seem to be above year 3 level!

Reply #31197 | Report this post

Degenerate  
Years ago

I do not remember dissing the Northern Suburbs, and if I did, I am sorry that was not what I was emplying

Another thing, yes, the umpires were pretty bad, but I think Forestville got a bit

As far as the "you suck" chant, those guys are not all professional athletes but are umpired by professional refs, I thought that the chant was not needed, that is all I was trying to emply.

So to set it straight

I have no problem with the Northern Suburbs

And thought the "You Suck" chants were not needed

Reply #31198 | Report this post

The truth  
Years ago

i agree with this " new hat man " he seems like a smart fellow matty seriously get over the girls game eagels won by alot centrals have alot of juniors we know ohhh how we know !!! people need to get over yelling you suck ... it was done in a bit of fun .. im sure the reffs have heard alot worse in there time.. the blue army is the best support group in the abl right now ... and centrals mens program is well and truly on the way up ..

Reply #31202 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

new hat man, its pat and one of the anonymous posters -- please don't change your author name repeatedly to try and back up your point.

Reply #31228 | Report this post

Degenerate  
Years ago

That's a bit sad

Reply #31232 | Report this post

what the???  
Years ago

perhaps people should look at why the ref's called a few more extra fouls (and trust me their wasn't that much of a foul count discrepency) on centrals.
for one thing they very rarely press up the court defensively.
they are a high octane run and gun offensive team that play smart defense and use their feet. much like melbourne tigers in the nbl.
centrals are a full court in your face, physical style of defense so naturally they will foul more.
stop blaming the referee's everytime you lose and get the massive chip off your shoulders that referee's have it an for centrals BECAUSE THEY DON'T!!!
perhaps you should look at how both jye and ricky sportingly went up to both referee's and shook their hands at the end of the game.
also did you know that 1 f/ville player fouled out and 3 more had 5 fouls, while no centrals player had more than 4 fouls.
so that should hopefully dispell any thought of favouritism.

Reply #31251 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

also did you know that 1 f/ville player fouled out and 3 more had 5 fouls, while no centrals player had more than 4 fouls.

Are you sure? Sutton fouled out, true. Farman had 5 fouls.

For Centrals, Wilkey fouled out, while Watson, Reggie and Hammond all had 5.

Reply #31259 | Report this post

money shot  
Years ago

wats this nothern suburbs shit? is this and excuse cos ur all em,barrassed that a team that came form the bottom of the ladder has stood up and decided to play sum good ball. Man u guys need to shutup and get over the crowd were there to watch basketball not worry about wats said, its all in fun so get over use guys r just jealous u cant join the army and maybe u suld just look at urselves in the mirror hey were do all of the fights normally happen wen teams like norwood and west r involved. Just go watch the basketball and have fun, get over urselves to y ur there cos centrals arent a team to be easily beaten nemore so maybe ur saying all this shit cos ur SCARED of losing to the team called "Centrals" "the feral team" thats wat it comes down to fear! maybe us uld cum join a real club instead of being at clubs like north who cant play basketball and just wanna fight between themselves, and say all u want about my theory's cos i aint trying to pay ne of use out im just stating the facts that use r to blind to see.

Reply #31313 | Report this post

$The Hitman$  
Years ago

(Mod: Deleted. Watch your mouth. You've just done more to reinforce that stereotype than anyone else.)

Reply #31320 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Hi there. The Lions brought in three new starters from other clubs, and had one returning to get the three wins they have. They've lost more games than They've won. Unless I'm mistaken, North is a team with a good representation of homegrown talent in their starting roster, and they've won one game less than the Lions (Centrals are yet to beat a team in the top half of the competition, I think; North have beaten a couple of teams with positive records in Forestville and South). The improvement from past years is great for the league but try to moderate your excitement just a little and certainly avoid using offensive language in a public forum.

Also, it's a really valid point that people have made with regard to abuse of referees. Disagreeing with a call is one thing. Starting a chant about the referees teaches kids that abuse of referees is OK. It's not. We've had numerous tales on here from referees who have left the role because of the abuse and the state of refereeing in Adelaide isn't exactly fantastic from all reports.

It's great that you're excited about your club. It's great that you like living in the northern suburbs. And you certainly have a couple of great players at the Lions this year.

BUT, from every indication, those defending the chant have completely missed the point. I hope that, on reflection, you can appreciate that.

Jye had 50 points, so how about we talk about that a bit?

Reply #31321 | Report this post

Birdman  
Years ago

ive being at centrals for at least 8 years and we havent exaclty had it good over the last 10 years. i came to the club not knowing what to expect or what the clubs reputation was if there was one i jsut wanted to play for a team in my suburb "my hood" or ghetto as others make it out to be the hell hole of the state up north. im sad to say we dont have regualar gang wars, drive by's or bodies dumped and left in our parks, we do have a council that cleans the bodies away ( just kidden), in all seriousnous what and where is all this slander about our area coming from and what does it have to do with b ball??? you'll find thatt none of us at central go walking the streets at night holdinga bottle of beign staggering around yelling " heyyyy i KnoW You buddy heahah" this sterotype of us being feral is just a joke on saturday night we all jsut liek to go out support our teams and have a bit of fun and for those that where uneased with the " blue armies "chants of you suck you suck whoop de do like bootleg said ive herd worse at NBL games, adn to what that degenerate said taht not all the players are professional but are umpired by pro ref well for one the reff's suld be able to handle taht without crying to the mums and second i dont think that the players would break down and walk of the court after hearing sumone in the crowd trash talking about there game is Cr**p.
i mean no matter what we say in teh crowd the game goes on its all in harmless fun and well if it offends you then dont come out the watch your team play at starplex cuz its not like we need you there neway so if you dont like wasting 5 bucks then keep it and stay at home.

and for everytime some one bags us out for watever its jsut gives us more incentive to go to games and get in your face so theres to options if your in the crowd sit there put up with it to join in.
at least we have some passion for our club, we have being the underdogs for some time now and thigs are started to change and with all this bitching going on out there sounds like sum ppl are scared of gettin whooped by the ferals down at centrals.
all your doin is fueling the fire and we live on that and we will use.

i say to all those who dis us why dont you come out to our club and see what goes one and get to now us before you start making falsified statements about our members and players integrity.
i can be proud of one things is that despite losing and being the underdogs is that i dont go changing clubs once the sh** hits teh fan i liek my mates stick to our guns and stay loyal as for all those who have to go around trying to find glory cuz they dont have the heart to make it happen at the last club i say thats a pretty p**s poor effort.

i know everyone has had enuff about jye but so what hes a good addition to our club and its helping us lift our game as he's become a strong influence in our club with reggie and wilkey and the other guys who have slogged it out like terry matty and damein and there rest well have strong team for a while yet.

and for eveyone trying to downplay watson performance so far i say step up and do sumthing about it your self why suldnt we ahvea star player at our club liek formam homels and newly you'll find most team like sturt forestville and norht would be nuthing without there key players.

adn the only import we ahve is from vic teh rest are south astralian like all the other players at other clubs they all dont exaclty come from teh suburb of norwood or noarlunga they come from everywhere so you can jsut drop that subject of centrals only wining cuz we have a import where not there only team with one i can guarantee that.

so inclosing say you can say what you want about centrals, were coming up in the world and making sumthign of our club nuthing you say will stop us, atleast we know where we come from and where all proud of it , so ask your self where you coming from not everyone is perfect but where trying our best to atleast earn a lil respect.

so all i have to say centrals keep on kickin a** and play some serious ball.

P.s viva la Blue army F****s
and MOney shot bootley and buddy + jordy Rule.

Reply #31373 | Report this post

Birdman  
Years ago

yes my spelling is sh**t but im to annouyed to really care what sumone thinks of my grammer so theres no need to make a smart a** remark about that.

Reply #31374 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

ENOUGH FFS! One *single* person said that Centrals had a reputation for being ferals and that a person implying that the referees wouldn't be abused if they weren't biased contributed to that.

Read that again: ONE SINGLE PERSON. Why do you persist with this issue against all of my requests?

This isn't some call to arms or request for your personal manifesto on all things Centrals.

The individual concerned didn't say that the whole club were actually ferals. They said that there was a "reputation" and you have endorsed that by also saying that there is a reputation (just that it's supposedly not true). Think about it! You are agreeing with them!

Referees have publically stated that actions you are endorsing do not help the game and basketball in this state. Encouraging people to behave like this is not a good thing. We're not talking about semi-professional players and referees crying all the way home, we're talking about generations being raised to believe that abusing referees in this manner is just what happens, and that is not what is needed.

The club that visited Starplex this weekend and walked away with two wins are leaders in this state on a number of issues -- one of those is with their zero tolerance policy with regard to abuse of umpires.

What is the cause of the recent decline in the standard of umpiring?

The major reason that so many umpires are quitting is because of constant abuse from spectators, coaches and players.

No more on this topic please. If you have a problem with this, email me.

Reply #31375 | Report this post

Jordy  
Years ago

wow! maybe we should just forget this ever happened and move on. Lets talk about bball for a change!! Does anyone have any comments ont he womens game? Any tips for improvement? I play for centrals and I have got great oppurtunitys out of it. Probably more than I got at Norwood, my old club.

I think centrals is like any other club, and shoudl be treated the same. They still have kids who want to play basketball, like any other kid from any other club!

So lets talk about the game on saturday night!! Both womens and mens i might add!!

Thankyou

Reply #31597 | Report this post

go eagles  
Years ago

top right up sam. Unfortunatly couldnt make it up there! Sounds like we played a good game. We have definetly got some pretty hot talent on this years lineup. Go Eagles!

Reply #32260 | Report this post

go eagles  
Years ago

To sam, in regard to the sturt match a few weeks ago, do you know anything abot the channel 'Ten' newspeople being at the game filming brad? Has it already been on T.V? Go Eagles!

Reply #32263 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

there was a spot about him on Sport Tonight about a fotnight ago, that was probably what the footage was for.

Reply #32513 | Report this post

go eagles  
Years ago

Thanks anon. Pitty i missed it! oh well, thanks for that!

Reply #32738 | Report this post

proud lion  
Years ago

I've been at Centrals for at least 4 years now and I have never seen any evidence to show that we are or ever were feral. Lions are a great club and we really hate it when people come out to a game thinking "oh we're playing Centrals this will be a sinch." Keep up the good work lions.

Reply #33924 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:20 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754