Tiger Watcher
Years ago

Big V signings

Just some Big V chatter as yet to really hear much about the Championship level (Only seem to hear about Div 1/2 AKA midweek ball with paid scorers!)

Wav: Still got Dillon, Ivan & have now got Benny they'll be tough early faves for a 3 peat
Sherbrooke: Tom Burns is returning to Big V but no announcement yet so expect a bold showing again.
Bulleen: Big import signing! Good local content they’ll be fighting it out again
Ringwood: More of the same with DC & Belt they’ll be tough from deep...also got Sturt (Top 3)
Corio: Williams is a big signing…do they have any others?
Eltham: No announcements but heard they have 2 "restricted" players…cough cough…R.Grizzard
DV: Bridgewater is back together with Moore so they’ll be contenders this year!
Hume: Same imports + Lowery but have they got anyone else who can play??

I’ve got no idea on ladder positions this year but I think Wav will win it in a canter with Ringwood, Sherbrooke & Corio on the back of Williams fighting it out for second place!

Topic #27539 | Report this topic

Mr Black  
Years ago

Wav still the team to beat, but Eltham and Corio will be playing some fun to watch, up tempo ball

Reply #350439 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yea I hear Corio will be good, hopefully Rltham cannot a good team together is Greer playing there again?

Any thoughts on Ringwood from the article on Big V they sound like thru have kept the same cOre together should be interesting!

Reply #350441 | Report this post

BobbyC  
Years ago

Eltham signed Luke Cooper.
TigerWatcher, dunno how you can say D1 and D2 is like mid week comp. D1 would be close to CABL standard (Warrandyte 2012 would beat every CABL side) and D2 have plenty of players who could play Championship Level just benches dont go as deep!

Cant see anyone beating Waverley but Ringwood n Corio Bay will round out the top 3

Reply #350442 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed with all your comments Bobby. Waverley look like they'll be tough again this year, but with that said they're always up around the top regardless.

Div1 in particular looks like it's going to be up another notch this season. With teams like Warrandyre and Camberwell buying up all the talent they can this year it should be an interesting competition.

The gap between top and bottom may be a little larger than inthe last few years thought with a fair few teams opting to play locals and avoid the imports.

Reply #350445 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Cooper official? I just called coach at Eltham and he wouldn't confirm anything to me! (then again I'm the opposition!)

Any other clubs make signings yet to be announced? I haven't heard much out of DV yet....how r they looking?

Reply #350458 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

D1 have a few players who could cut it at ABA level but each team seems to have 1 or 2 then the rest really aren't much chop at all.

But it isn't fair to compare SCM to D1/D2 anyway so sorry if I offended with my comment.

Is Belt confirmed for Ringwood??

Reply #350465 | Report this post

Boomerland  
Years ago

Championship Men this year is an interesting one, I honestly think results will be very similar to what they were last year.

Waverley, Eltham and Ringwood being the Top 3.

Sherbrooke, Bulleen and Corio Bay the next 3

Then Diamond Valley, Melbourne and Hume at the bottom.

Division 1 Men look alright. Warrandyte are almost good enough to compete in the Championship Men competition... Camberwell have a couple of big names but much depth? Anon do you know something we don't? Canovan, Anstey and Eversteyn... anybody else?
Warnambool and McKinnon will also be very tough this season in Division 1 as they will always put a good team on the floor. Who does Blackburn have to replace Matt Cromarty?

Division 2 Men is still improving... Western Port to be the big movers this season. Vlad the Tank and a number of others going there will help their cause.
Melton or Keilor will be the weakest.

Reply #350468 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Warrandyte is looking more and more like a State Champ team! They have reigning D1 MVP Tron Smith back on deck, have brough in Gerard Leonard from Eltham and now also Sam Burch (ex-Warrnambool).

Anstey is also luring some decent talent down at Camberwell! Bobby is well on the mark!

Reply #350470 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

How'd warrandyte go against Sherbrooke in that practice game the other week?

Reply #350472 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The top 3 from warrandyte can play champ level but not from there down same at camberwell!

Reply #350473 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I heard Alex Bogart-King has moved to Hume. He played at Eltham last year. I saw him playing at the Warnambool tournament last month, looks like he's improved alot. I think he should have a good year.

I'm fairly sure Luke Cooper is at Eltham, with a couple of old vets from around the league.

Daniel Dillon signed? Is that 100%? Heard he was going to SEABL

Reply #350474 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

In D1M McKinnon have Axel Dench and Marcus Timmons again, plus John Morris a US Import who played formerly for the 'Bool in Championship.
Sam Belt is confirmed it was on the Big V website in an article from the local Ringwood paper awhile ago.

Reply #350476 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Warrandyte definitely looking like the most improved team in Division 1. They've also added Vashon Weaver to the mix.

Reply #350477 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Williams and Reardon combo will do some damage for Coriobay. Caught Reardons boys play Waverley in a practice game and young Stef Osborne looked good as well. Wont win it but will surprise a few i think. Waverley for mine for the 3 peat.

Div 1 is tougher than the previous years with most teams bringing in quality imports and signing good local talents as well.

Reply #350478 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

tiger watcher, i know wat ur saying with standard of competition. however i have a slight feeling Bobby C may be cunningham.. so he knows what hes talking about.

Hes not saying Div1 and Div2 are great, but weeknight ball its far from. (well div1 is anyway) div2 is below par, still however better than domestic basketball haha

Reply #350485 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Yea Alex has moved to Hume City, he'll look really good in the warm-ups...that said if he has improved Hume will have a solid starting group.

I heard Dillon will be back at Waverley from a number of peple close to waverley so don't expect that to change.

Who are the vet's out at Eltham??

Agree with anon that Reardon & williams will cause a few headaches..they'll probably be the best 3/4 combo in the league

Reply #350486 | Report this post

BobbyC  
Years ago

Alex will be great in warmups.. but after that it goes downhill at a fast rate! Very 1 dimensional player

Reply #350491 | Report this post

JJ  
Years ago

Warrandyte, will win the lot this year in D1 they were a very good team last year and are twice as good this year, the only thing that could stop them is if they are only allowed to use 1 ball during the game . lol

Reply #350492 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can't confirm anything, just what I've heard, Matt Fennel, Scott Cuffe and Michael Petridis are at Eltham this year.

Reply #350496 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If they get Cooper with that line up they be pretty strong again this season with solid vets.
They could be a touch slow thou...

Reply #350498 | Report this post

spud  
Years ago

Corio draw in practise game against Wav without williams and two other players.

Reply #350503 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Gee thats impressive if they drew with Waverley without Williams....i think they'll win 90% of games at home so i'd expect them to make finals from there!

Reply #350504 | Report this post

BigBadBaz  
Years ago

Who were Waverley missing though?

People seem to be forgetting that warrandyte are coming up from division 2. Yes they almost have a completely different team so stop comparing them to their division 2 results from last year.

Reply #350512 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nobody cares about anything less than state champ, Haha

Reply #350513 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So true real Bball people don't care bout anything but Champ an Seabl if your based in vic

Reply #350518 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Waverley had no Dillon, Plantnik or Lewis. Going to be hard to stop. Coriobay need more legit bigs to be considered top 4.

Reply #350519 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bennie Lewis signing could make for an unstoppable Waverly team this season, if they manage to still have Dan Dillion still on the team.
I think with Corio it is a wait and see situation, they have talent on paper but we will have to see if they can put it together.
Word down at DV is that Adam Moore is back and in great shape ready to go, i wonder if their Youth stars like Harun Kansak and Matt Reynolds will step up to champ this season? (although i hear from a source close to DV, Reynolds has Osteitis Pubis)?.

Waverly favourites ahead of Ringwood.

Reply #350529 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adam Moore is a huge in for DV he and Brad male for a big strong back court so they be right up around pushing for top 4, have they picked up any guards thou?

Reply #350532 | Report this post

Boss  
Years ago

which williams???

Reply #350536 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Eric Williams- ex Spectres import now at Corio Bay.

Reply #350542 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Apparently Tigers arent too keen on contracted players playing ABA this year.

Reply #350544 | Report this post

BB  
Years ago

Brett Fennell back to Diamond Valley, I've heard that Reynolds and Kansak are both in the Mens side this season. May look to be a higher tempo game that Diamond Valley will play this season.

Reply #350547 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

The BigV always generates talk here, makes me wonder why the league keeps launching and then pulling it's forum.

Reply #350559 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

So are any Tigers players suiting in the Big V this year? (Not including Lewis who'll be an ex-Tigers player at the end of this season)

Reply #350562 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

If you right something honest and constructive on their forum they rip it down.Not worth having.

Reply #350567 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forum was pulled due to the threat of some very well founded legal action.

All good and well if people are going to talk constructively about the sport, but when the talk heads down a personal path, that takes a whole new angle.

Waverley for mine in the mens, with Eltham going back to back in the womens. Whisper is they have some quality to replace the likes of Froggy and Grima.

Reply #350577 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Any word on who Eltham Womens have signed??

Reply #350587 | Report this post

melbourne tigers nbl side are supposedly touring ireland and china during the off season, so that will put dillon out for a few games. It might also put bennie lewis out as well as they might take him as a kind gesture for his time with the club

Reply #350591 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

It really hurts the quality of the Big V comp if a few of the Tigers players don't drop back into the Big V.

Reply #350594 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

with no Tragardh to defend his MVP trophy, any thoughts on the ealry MVP candidates??

Williams, Platnik (finally), Belt

Reply #350595 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Platenik is just the guy who gets the crumbs. I sincerely hope he never wins an MVP.

No idea who's playing for the tigers, I don't know anyone returning from last year + they had an advertisement for open tryouts mid January. Could be in some trouble.

Reply #350629 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crumbs huh? Beats my 2 pt average per game.....

If you are going to critise a player, back it up with fact. None of his opponents would dismiss him so lightly......

Scoring/Rebounding stats last five years from recent to last.

Scoring Summary

Player Name Team M TFGM TFGA TFG% 3PM 3PA 3P% FTM FTA FT% Av PF Pts Av Pts
Ivan Platenik Waverley 25 228 466 48.9 1 4 25.0 125 203 61.6 2.6 582 23.3
Ivan Platenik WAV 25 223 480 46.5 4 0.0 137 204 67.2 2.6 583 23.3
Ivan Platenik WAV 18 193 390 49.5 1 7 14.3 123 189 65.1 3.0 510 28.3
Ivan Platenik Waverley 22 191 346 55.2 5 0.0 125 188 66.5 2.5 507 23.0
Ivan Platenik Waverley 8 57 122 46.7 1 2 50.0 35 69 50.7 2.8 150 18.8

Rebounding Summary

Player Name Team M TR Av Reb OR Av OR DR Av DR
Ivan Platenik Waverley 25 263 10.5 91 3.6 172 6.9
Ivan Platenik WAV 25 304 12.2 93 3.7 211 8.4
Ivan Platenik WAV 18 256 14.2 97 5.4 159 8.8
Ivan Platenik Waverley 22 235 10.7 88 4.0 147 6.7
Ivan Platenik Waverley 8 92 11.5 36 4.5 56 7.0

Reply #350636 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Melbourne Tigers structure has changed. The NBL no longer run the admin for the Men/Women Champ teams and the youth girls team. All are now controlled by Melbourne Tigers juniors- they are expecting to take a hit with results as the restructure happens but are looking to use their senior teams as an actual pathway for their juniors over the coming years.

Reply #350643 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Platenik just picks up crumbs...LOL, obviously you haven't seen him play, he is definately an MVP candidate and should have already won one in the last few years.

Reply #350648 | Report this post

Just sayin  
Years ago

Reardon for mvp.

Reply #350657 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Platnik smashed Greer in the finals so I'd rate him highly!
Reardon is an interesting one, been away from top level for a few years might take a few rounds for him to warm up.
My two smokies are boomers import (he is a gun) & Fennel at Eltham with better team around him could improve on last years numbers

Reply #350664 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You ever seen Fennell play defence?

Neither.

Reply #350694 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Good call but i don't think D has much to do with the MVP gong as Tragardh isn't exactly being nominated for defensive player of the year!

Also have you ever seen Platnik play D??

Reply #350695 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Osborne for ROY?

Reply #350713 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Osborne? Sorry to ask but were is he from?

I would think Kansak from DV if he plays up would have to be the early fave for Youth player of the year.

Reply #350725 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Osborne from Corio Bay. Had 26 against Waverly in their practice game on the weekend.

Reply #350730 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks for that post Stef

Reply #350743 | Report this post

holla  
Years ago

I thought Dillon was off to America at some stage during the BigV season. Though they'll still be tough!!!

Waverley must have some cash!

Reply #350748 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Someone mentioned Platenik and D in the same sentence. Interesting association but never gunna happen.

Reply #350749 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Waverley have always had plenty of $$ to splash as Ivan & Co are cheap to run!

Only way to break into the top 3 sides is to spend over $40K per season. (Import/NBL talent)

(I know Sherbrooke did it last year but unless you spend you can't maintain i, hence why they are paying Tom Burns this year!)

Reply #350853 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

this is stupiddddddddddddddddddddddd! matt reynolds will win YL1 MVP this year then go to europe thrugh kansaks fathers contacts!

Reply #350876 | Report this post

Hammer  
Years ago

Matt Reynolds is a great player, not sure if he is Europe standard just yet though

Reply #350884 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

If Kansaks father had Euro connections why isn't he playing over there all ready??

Reply #350892 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why isn't Matt Reynold's playing mens instead of YL1?

Reply #350893 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

kansaks been to europe numerous times and trained with fenerbahce and efes pilsen in euroleague, he is obvoiusly not good enough yet to play euroleague if he was he wouldnt be in AUS! i hope that answers your question!

Reply #350917 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

and matt reynolds is a 6ft PT Gaurd who took the piss out of aba pt gaurds at the start of last year as a 18 year old? should be a Devalopment Player on an NBL roster.

Reply #350918 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But you said youth league division 1? That's not champ mens.my question was why isn't he playing mens if he tears it up like you quote.

Reply #350921 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Why wouldn't Kansak try out for a lower division club to get his foot in the door because he isn't exactly a professional whislt playing out at DV.

Reply #350965 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Reynolds may be trying to keep his college eligibility intact perhaps?

Reply #350967 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i believe kansak was training at FMV with ater majok 1 year ago. they signed majok and let go of kansak and kansak came back to YL and won mvp

Reply #351084 | Report this post

holla  
Years ago

So will any of the Tigers boys be playing in the Big V this year or not?

Reply #351391 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Dillon & Lewis appear to be the only ones signed

Reply #351396 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Warrandyte's import Tron Smith will miss this season with an injury, but has comitted to return in 2013. However the Venom has this week announced the signing of new import Chibuzo Elonu who has just graduated from Southeastern Oklahoma State University where he was captain last season.

http://www.sportingpulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?client=1-4089-0-0-

He is suited up for tonight's game against Blackburn.

Reply #355744 | Report this post

Roger  
Years ago

Sorry. Geriatric's league this year. Lowery, Greg Smith, Randy Anderson.....give me a break. Big V was getting better at one point and closing the gap on SEABL. Now it is a farce. Waverley should win it for sure. They are the only team that can play in the crunch. As for Platenik. Just because the guy is not conventional doesn't mean he is not effective. He plays his role to perfection and role players win championships for teams. Give me Platenik every day of the week. 20pts worth of crumbs is good for anyone. He just keeps getting it done.

Reply #364241 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

It is becoming a bit of a boneyard of sorts.

The old blokes need to stop hanging on and understand that they are just clogging gaps and hindering the games & Big V's development, it ain't 1999 anymore!

Funny think is in the twightlight of there careers a few of these guys just go from losing team to losing team...so it begs the question are they really playing for the team sucess or for themseleves? (After all is there an ABA record for oldest player to suit?)

Reply #364263 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:34 am, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754