Russ
Years ago

Bogut's problems add to international debate

This article is on the front page of the Milwaukee Jouernal.
jsonline.com

Topic #27543 | Report this topic

curtley  
Years ago

Typical American dribble. I like Mark Cuban but what does he suggest? Stop all NBA players beig involved in Olympic competiion? The Olympics come every 4 years, not every year and they may play 10-12 games at the most.

Bogut's two major injuries are bad luck and how can the last time he played for Australia (which I think was at least 2 years ago) have lead to his current or previous injury?

Reply #350528 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

playing international rules is stupid if you're an AFL player, playing in the Olympics is a rare opportunity if you're an NBA player that should be taken with both hands.

Reply #350530 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The last game Bogut played for the Boomers was at the 2008 Olympics.

Reply #350531 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

yep...some 4 years ago!

Reply #350533 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

How about the NBA realise's that international competition is more important than their own 2 country product.
Ofcourse without internation competitions they wouldnt have some of the stars they have in the NBA now..but who is he to care

Reply #350545 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I love international BBall, its the only time I can watch a game where they dont all hug and laugh with each other for 2 hours. International Ball reminds me of the NBA in the 80's and early 90's where everyone hated each other and winning is everything.

Reply #350549 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If they are so concerned about players remaining fir and healthy, of course they could always reduce the number of NBA games.

The NBA is a perfect example of how quantity < quality. I rate international ball as far more entertaining. International tournament ball is short and intense where every minute matters. Chemistry is vital. NBA for the most part is drawn out with way too many games being inconsequential and players going through the motions (or lack thereof). There are too many games/minutes for the intensity to remain high.

Reply #350555 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Does Mark Cuban realise that without NBA stars playing in the Olympics, someone like Dirk Nowitzki may never have been inspired to pick up a basketball, and thus Dallas never win a championship. Its a long bow I know, but its not totally unrealistic.

Reply #350564 | Report this post

Jerry Dennard Jr  
Years ago

You would think a journalist would fact check at least;

"Bogut has always been an enthusiastic member of Team Australia, participating since age 19 in the Athens and Beijing Games as well as all the practice and lead-up games that accompany the Olympics."

As people have mentioned he hasn't played for the boomers since the 2008 Beijing Olympics. Thats almost 4 years (3years 5 months 22days) without a game for the boomers - That seriously discredits his entire article.

That is not to say that we shouldn't be discussing some of the points raised though.

This can then lead to other questions about the NBA:

Are there too many games in a regular season? maybe 72 instead of 82?
All-star weekend needs a re-jig?
Make the ring bigger and the ball smaller?
Bring in a 4-point line? with a bonus point for a "called-bank"?

Reply #350596 | Report this post

ineedmore  
Years ago

I would love to see some discussion on raising the height of the ring in the NBA.

Reply #350602 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

So who else thinks the people running the Olympics are not in it for the money and the perks of being on the IOC? Metinks the Baron de Coubertin would support Mark Cuban on the Olympic part of his argument.

Reply #350628 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nothing wrong with what that journo said.

Reply #350650 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:03 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754