hoopie
Years ago

Any Aussies likely to get drafted sometime soon?

Who's likely to be the next Aussie player drafted into the NBA?

Topic #27553 | Report this topic

ineedmore  
Years ago

Stephen Weigh, obviously the best player in Aust, otherwise he wouldn't be getting so many minutes.

Reply #350734 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Delly is the most likely choice in the short term - but he is not rock solid at all and it would be after his senior year if it were to happen.

Drmic and Greenwood are the next best bets - but again they are right on the periphery and not entrenched in draft discussions.

Reply #350736 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Ben Simmons is the next big thing but he is only 15 years old.He is already on the radar on a number of the big D1 schools.

Reply #350738 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has everyone forgot Brock Motum or???

Reply #350739 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

As much as I am sick of the 36ers bashing on here this season, that is pretty funny ineedmore.

Reply #350745 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I cant think of anyone with the height, athleticism or quickness needed for the NBA. Simmons could be one, maybe Odigie if they really pick up their games.

It's a tough road making the NBA without great physical tools. The other road is as a supreme spot up shooter, but I cant think of any Aussies who fit that mould either.

Reply #350746 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Simmons has the tools but he's only 15 so we'll see what happens in 3 years time.

Reply #350747 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

In terms of free agents, I think the Aussie with the best chance if he can raise his game is Luke Nevill. He would be the second tallest player in the comp and can nail open jumpshots, so he has two of the important tools.

He probably needs to improve his physical strength but a 218cm guy is always going to be of interest.

Reply #350761 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brock Motum has been putting up 30 point games for Washington and he is a 6'9" athletic 3 man. Definitely NBA prospect.

Reply #350764 | Report this post

tropical booz  
Years ago

Dante Exum?

Reply #350776 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I would call Motum a PF. The last time I saw him he lacked the fluidity to play NBA, even though he is quite athletic in a stilted sort of way. Very talented player though with all the tools for the FIBA game. Reminded me a little bit of Matt Nielsen but far more disciplined than 'The Rockstar' at the same age.

Would love him to prove me wrong re NBA.

Reply #350781 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

The big '5' currently playing division 1 all have a chance to play in the NBA at some stage, and I reiterate, a 'chance' only. None of them are locks, but all have the ability (in no particular order);

1. Delly
2. Broekoff
3. Motum
4. Drmic
5. Greenwood

Broekoff and Motum are the two most interesting NBA prospects for mine. At 6'7" Broekoff's rebounding ability coupled with his accurate long range shooting makes him an intriguing prospect, the likes of which Australian basketball has not really had in the past. Motum at 6'9" is just a flat out scorer, but probably fits into that dreaded 'tweener' category when it comes to the NBA. Either way, both guys will have long careers suiting up in Boomers green and gold. Both very exciting prospects, along with the other three guys on this list.

Reply #350797 | Report this post

Cell  
Years ago

Brock Motum and Dellevadova are prospects that might get picked up in the late 2nd round if they have big senior years

Reply #350799 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I hope Motum gets a look in, but I agree it could depend on how he goes in his senior year. Paul probably summed up his situation best.

Broekhoff could be anything...

Vart, I agree with your 'rankings' as of this point in time of NBA likelihood.

Reply #350809 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:55 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754