funnyashell
Years ago

New Kings Coach sugestions?

Jim Arkell (dont laugh he has an excellent ABA coaching record). How awesome a sight would that be! Jim smoking on the bench with a bucket of KFC, telling the refs to go ---- their sister.

Greg Jones (strangely enough he was a Kings asst. coach for a period in 2001). Jonsey would call a time out for a rev up of the players then get attacked and bashed by a member of the team that he had got personal on.

Tim Hudson (current Asst. coach). Would probably activate himself to the playing roster for more depth at the point.

Bernie Slattery (also a past Kings asst. coach), he would end up with the high achieving juniors on the playing roster, but only the handsome ones.

Topic #27564 | Report this topic

Hammer  
Years ago

D-Mac or Anstey if either are willing to relocate from Melbourne

Maybe even give Shane Heal a chance..? Just don't let him sub himself on.

Reply #350865 | Report this post

funnyashell  
Years ago

Heal would need to be paid under the table in cash..........got a little tax problem.

Reply #350868 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow shane heal lol. Should ask brad Rosen he knows basketball and all the players are cool with him

Reply #350869 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

what about some ex-Kings like the Dalton brothers and Tim Morrisey?

Reply #350870 | Report this post

funnyashell  
Years ago

The dalton brothers are too busy watching cheech and chong movies, laughing and asking each other where the twisties are. Brad Rosen might be able to do the job, but Tim Morrisey has a real job as a journalist.

Reply #350871 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Westover anyone??

Reply #350874 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

'Maybe even give Shane Heal a chance..?'

No

Reply #350883 | Report this post

funnyashell  
Years ago

The problem with Westover is that there is a local law in Sydney that the only man legally permitted to wear cowboy boots inside a basketball stadium is Ken Cole.

Reply #350886 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

i would love to see brendan joyce back in the league.

not sure if he would be interested though.....he is probably pretty happy right now not having a bunch of dickhead critics bagging him and his family.

the league was a bit more interesting with coaches like joyce,palmer and westover in it.
bloody good coaches too.

Reply #350887 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

i didn't do the 'o' like that either.

Reply #350889 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

They can have Marty Clarke and we will even throw in radford! There record speaks for itself.... Oh hang on let me get back to you on the sales pitch with that one!

I'd definitely be going with a household name to replace goose. Another no ne
Coach without the nbl/pro level experience won't cut it for that team. Skill level is there need it to start meshing like it should be.

Reply #350897 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

I think Isaac has a auto rule when you type that persons name, the "0" replaces the "o". So he doesn't google himself & come across this forum incase someone says something bad and he threatens to sue.

I'm serious. It has happened.

Lets try it - Joyce

Reply #350902 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It would be great to see Westover back in the league.

Reply #350904 | Report this post

GHOST  
Years ago

GIDDEY

Reply #350922 | Report this post

birdman  
Years ago

joyce
......had to try it!

Reply #350923 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

joyce... haha
just trying it out too. not as coach, he's had his chance

Reply #350926 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

try this joy ce

or this j o y c e

or this j oyce

Reply #350931 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Dean Uthoff.....put the fear of god into the players LOL

Reply #350933 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Personally, I think Dean Vickerman would be a great candidate. But he seems happy at the Breakers

And I have heard he is going to Las Vegas to coach a JUCO/College team

Reply #350937 | Report this post

Kinga fan  
Years ago

Mark Watkins

Reply #350941 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Beuce palmer

Reply #350944 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Darryl McDonald has said he wants the job and has touched base with the Kings front office. Not known if the feeling is mutual though.

Reply #350945 | Report this post

tropical booz  
Years ago

Goorjian!!

The J0yce thing reminds me of the Simpsons episode where they call mary poppins sherry bobbins!

Reply #350946 | Report this post

tropical booz  
Years ago

Or the shining the 'shinning'.

Chocco would be good. Heal would be an exciting call being an ex champion but the Dragons stint will put 2 much pressure on.

Goorgian!!!!!!!

Reply #350949 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

it will be someone relatiely cheap lets be serious

Reply #350953 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

& jim arkell would be a joke of an nbl coach, cant believe you would put his name forward

Reply #350954 | Report this post

Flaming idiots  
Years ago

Karen dalton???

Reply #350955 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

They couldn't afford to sign Ubaka for pro-rata minimum. So may even be one of the assistants promoted for the final 4 games.

Reply #350956 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Supposedly the Kings are keen on Dmac.

Reply #350959 | Report this post

Deios58  
Years ago

Heal was a disaster with the South Dragons. No thanks. Goorjian makes the most sense but the current ownership are as clueless as it gets so you wouldn't expect them to make the right decision.

So let's get this straight. The team sacks Moose as coach because he isn't getting the job done. Then they install him as CEO where he'll be working for many of the same people who knifed him and wanted him out. And they put in as interim head coach a guy who has NEVER been a head coach at ANY level EVER.

This team is a laughing stock. The damage these fools have done to basketball in Sydney is immeasurable.

Reply #350963 | Report this post

funnyashell  
Years ago

Gday Anon

Why would Jim Arkell "be a joke of an NBL Coach"?
I agree he has a rough exterior, but results are results. He has won every thing there is to win in the NSW amateur leagues. Moose doesn't actually have anywhere near half of the amateur wins that Jim Arkell has up his sleeve.

Reply #350979 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Goorjian will not come back this season. Maybe not for a while. In China he is on a six figure salary.

Reply #350993 | Report this post

Phil  
Years ago

Vickerman

Reply #350997 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Relation to Ben Arkell?

The usual suspects will have their names thrown around- Joyce, Molloy, Black, Westover, etc.

An experienced coach would suit this team best i think, not sure Dmac would be up to it yet. (although they did sign Moose?!?!).

Reply #351002 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In today's The West, Rob Bevo has thrown his support behind Shawn Dennis who is applying for the role

Reply #351008 | Report this post

RAYJ  
Years ago

Sydney is a high pressure market for potential coaches and hungry for success NOW.

The best two coaches who could take the reigns are -

DMac: Brings a marketable asset which is what Sydney basketball is built on. He has done it all as a player and is a players coach.

Vickerman: Done a lengthy apprentiship at Tigers and NZ, Coached in his ownright in NZNBL and a really smart basketball head who would bring a steady head.

In the end I would go for Dmac who is really passionate and felt cheated when he didnt get the full time Tigers gig after bringing positive results in his 10 games with a depleted roster.

Reply #351011 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Damien Cotter

Reply #351013 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

Cecil Exum

Reply #351015 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

What about Cotter- was successful with Knox in the SEABL, experienced with the Emus and the NSWIS?

Reply #351034 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Cotter could be an possibility, but does he have enough experience with coaching men? He is a great youth coach (as shown by his results with the Emus), but can he have the same success with men?

Marty Clarke has shown everyone that a good youth coach, does not always translate to a successful professional coach.

Reply #351043 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

and Beveridge has shown how good a junior coach can be.

Reply #351049 | Report this post

Flaming idiots  
Years ago

Jacob Jackomas?

Reply #351080 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jacob is in China.

Reply #351115 | Report this post

True  
Years ago

Hoopie I agree with you, bring in an ex-Kings player as the coach. Shane Heal, Brad Rosen, Bruce Bolden, Brad Dalton..

They will instill PRIDE, PASSION, HARD WORK, DIRECTION, DISCIPLINE, LEADERSHIP, RESPECT all of which is what the players this season lacked!

Being a Kings fan myself, I would love to see an ex-Kings player as head coach leading the team back to another CHAMPIONSHIP!

TRUE

Reply #351119 | Report this post

Kings fan2  
Years ago

MMMM True... moose was an ex king? he was supposed to do all those things???Didnt really work out that way. Just saying.

I think Cotter who was a successful seabl coach at 27 yrs old is ready for the role.
I would put money on him getting the gig.

Reply #351129 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cotter wont get it

Reply #351154 | Report this post

Chuck Norris  
Years ago

Mark Price ;)

Reply #351171 | Report this post

Chuck Norris  
Years ago

Phil Jackson

Reply #351172 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rex

Reply #351179 | Report this post

Kinga fan  
Years ago

Rex nottage? I think not.

Reply #351338 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hahahahaha

Reply #351345 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cotter will get it. He can coach a successful men's program as shown at knox. People underestimate how strong SEABL is and he has been one of the better coaches to coach in that league.

Reply #351346 | Report this post

Flaming idiots  
Years ago

I heard Ian stacker is applying

Reply #351394 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Saw a news article about Vickerman definitely applying.

Reply #351401 | Report this post

Sixerfan  
Years ago

Vickerman is a great candidate.

Molloy would be a great pick up for a program like that.

Reply #351406 | Report this post

MoosetheGoose  
Years ago

Cotter has withdrawn his application apparently.

Heal is favoured for the interim job by all accounts. God help the Kings if that's the case.

Reply #351479 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Yup Vickerman has said publicly that he has applied for the job and with the Breakers blessing.

Reply #351484 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Robilliard said he couldn't divulge the identity of any of the candidates but confirmed there were former NBL coaches amongst the applicants.

He said he wanted to bring in a couple of external consultants to help construct a shortlist of around five and hoped to conduct interviews on Thursday or Friday.

Reply #351500 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

i hope i get an interview.....

Reply #351502 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You'd think Smyth would apply for this surely? Heal supposedly the favourite unfortunately.

Reply #351505 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Fire Moose, hire Heal? why bother firing moose?

Employ a coach with an extensive coaching resume, please don't hire a former player (again) with no 'extensive coaching resume'????

This appointment will speak volumes about the Kings leadership team.

Reply #351512 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I believe Tab Baldwin has applied

Baldwin>Heal every day of the week and including public holidays

Reply #351602 | Report this post

Cally  
Years ago

I believe Rex Nottage would be a perfect fit as coach for the Sydney kings.

Reply #351648 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tim will c out this season.

Reply #351649 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tab very keen on coming to Australia. He would be a very good choice for Sydney. He would have that team humming in no time. Gone would be the days of aimless 'execution' and the triangle would reign supreme with Khazzouh and Grant feeding out dimes!

Reply #351657 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Baldwin someone the 36ers should look at to take over/work with Marty Clarke?

I wouldnt mind seeing someone like him given a go as Head coach and Marty as Assistant/development coach, if Clarke walks then saves us a pay out.

The other coaches clubs like the Kings and 36ers could look at are guys like Smyth, Westover, Molloy, Stacker, Joyce all of whom have had success but also have been let go for a reason, but would at least bring some genuine NBL experience.

Reply #351669 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:25 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754