HoldenV8
Years ago

NBL Attendance - Round 20

20 rounds down, 5 to go for the regular season. No real upsets over the round and most attendances around the country and across the ditch were good with the Townsville Crocs being the only away team to come out with a win.

Breakers vs Hawks - 3,533 @ NSEC (80%)
Crocodiles vs Taipans - 4,100 @ TEC (78%)
Taipans vs Tigers - 4,872 @ CCC (92%)
Wildcats vs Kings - 4,200 @ CS (93%)
Blaze vs Crocodiles - 2,724 @ BCC (68%)

A smaller home crowd than has been of late for the Breakers but they were playing the team they had just lost to a week earlier and it was another Thursday game but still not overly bad considering they weren't playing a team in playoff contention.

Seems it takes occasions like a 20th anniversary game or the 'Reptile Rumble' to bring fans out of the woodwork in Townsville. The posted crowd of 4,100 is a good one but I'd have thought that for a team with their home record (8-2) they'd be at least drawing that many to most of their games.

If the Taipans could score as well as they are supported in Cairns they would hardly ever lose a game. 11 games in a row this season they have posted a 4K+ crowd, this one the day after the clubs and NBL's worst ever performance the night before in Townsville. Yet another great effort.

Second verse same as the first. Perth and Cairns are still the only clubs yet to post a sub 4K crowd for a home game. Who will crack first and post less than that? Personally I doubt either will, at least not this season.

Not an unexpected crowd in Brisbane for the Blaze's 2nd home game away from the Gold Coast though a sub 3K attendance isn't great. The attendance was only 676 more for the game against Townsville than it was for the Rd.2 clash against Cairns, and that with half-price tickets for any registered basketball player in Brisbane. At least taking the game up the road to Brisbane lets the people there know the NBL still exists, even without the Bullets...

Best crowd of the week? Cairns obviously on the back of the worst ever performance by an NBL team and well done again to Taipans fans for supporting their team after the all time low. Has the experiment to take Blaze games to Brisbane worked? The NBL probably thinks so but I don't know about that while Townsville over-achieved with their crowd but it was good to see.

What will Round 21 bring?

Topic #27593 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Excellent post as usual. Keep them coming!

Reply #351349 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

The thing is with Brisbane.. It's like getting the Kings to play against someone else in Wollongong. Sure they're close to each other (about an hour or two) but you're only going to attract hardcore basketball fans. None of the "community" goers that come out to support THEIR team. So that figure in Brisbane is actually pretty good, I would say that figure is good to measure a base crowd, if the Bullets came back I would expect that number + another thousand that come out to support their home team.

If that made sense.

Reply #351359 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree about the Brisbane crowd. Not many are going to turn up unless it's their team. However, I think Brissie needs to attract a crowd of at least 5,000 each game, otherwise don't bother setting up shop.

Reply #351388 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

HoldenV8, it would be great if you could put these posts on this site aswell: http://www.ozhoopsboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11

Reply #351403 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

No argument from me about Brisbane, the people there are more likely to support a team of their own more than they ever would the Blaze. The problem the league is going to have there (and places like Newcastle, Canberra, Hobart etc) is that the fans there have been burnt by their team folding. Winning back fans and getting new ones isn't an easy task.

Anon (#351388), you mention a crowd of at least 5,000 but the Brisbane Convention Centre only holds 4K. I think right now the NBL would like to fill the BCC before trying a bigger (and more expensive) venue that can hold that many, such as the 13,500 seat Brisbane Entertainment Centre.

Reply #351425 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the convention centre is more expensive than the entertainment centre in Brisbane.

Reply #351447 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

The Bullets moved from the BEC to the BCC because of costs. I think (though I may be wrong) but they moved for the same reason Melbourne aren't playing at either Rod Laver Arena or Hisense Arena any more, they couldn't justify the costs of the venue hire.

Besides, as it stands I doubt they could get close to filling the Brisbane Ent Cent for an NBL team, even if it was a Brisbane based team playing and even if they have it in the configuration (7,000 capacity) they used for the Bullets last championship win 2007.

Reply #351526 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:37 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754