hoopie
Years ago

Aussies in the NCAA Final 64

St Mary's isn't looking certain of getting into the March Madness. (Maybe as the 65th team, because they started so well ...)

Apart from them, which other Aussies are likely to get in?

(Sorry, LC, but you give me too much information to work through and it would take me ages to find out where each team is in each conference and which conferences get how many teams and ...)

Topic #27594 | Report this topic

Cell  
Years ago

St Marys will still make the tournament and Im pretty sure they wont be a bottom seed unless they lose to Portland, San Francisco and CSN.

Aussies/Kiwis with a good shot at tournament:
New Mexico - Bairstow, Greenwood
North Carolina State- Vandenberg
St Louis - Ellis, Loe (NZ)
St Marys - Dellavadova, Young, Page, Steindl
Valparaiso - Broekhoff, Edwards (NZ)

Ive probably missed somebody but thats a rough list

Reply #351356 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

Any thoughts about Washington State (Motum)?

Reply #351358 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Those in with a shot at receiving an at-large berth at the NCAA tournament include:

- Saint Mary's: unlikely to miss unless they lose all of their remaining conference games
- New Mexico with Bairstow and Greenwood are now better than even chances to get through as well.
- Saint Louis with Cody Ellis have a good chance of an at-large berth, but may need to win their conference tournament to ensure it.
- Valparaiso are an outside shot (Broekhoff) and will probably hinge on whether they can win the Horizon tournament(They will clinch the regular season title if they win on Wednesday).

Plenty of other teams boasting Aussies can make the NCAA tournament if they win their conference titles; some realistic chances include:

- Colorado (Tomlinson & Harris-Tunks) - Pac-12
- Valparaiso (Broekhoff) - Horizon
- Butler (Aldridge) - Horizon
- American (Fisher) - Patriot
- Saint Louis (Ellis) - A-10
- UNC-Asheville (Pal) - Big South
- UC Santa Barbara (Thomas) - Big West

Obviously some other teams could pop up into their conference tournaments like UTSA (Hill & Nujic) or Old Dominion (Iliadis) but the ones listed above arguably have a better chance at winning.

12th March (11th March in USA) is selection daya when the NCAA ournament teams are announced.

Just on 3 weeks until March Madness begins!

Reply #351369 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

PS: Washington State has virtually no chance - they would have to win the Pac-12 tournament, and based on the form during this season, the fact they have lost one of their best players to injury, and they have also struggled to win on the road, would mean this is highly doubtful.

Reply #351371 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

Thanks, LC - we can always count on your extensive knowledge.

Reply #351376 | Report this post

rick  
Years ago

wouldn't st marys be a lock for selection as they're still ranked in the top 25?

Reply #351377 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

They are currently a lock Rick, but I reckon the wheels could get mighty wobbly if they cannot close out the WCC regular season and ensure outright ownership of the WCC crown. If they lose to Portland, I would expect they would drop out of the ESPN top 25 rankings altogether...as they have already done with the AP poll....

Reply #351386 | Report this post

Naph  
Years ago

The CSN game has been cancelled last I heard.

Saint Mary's are still a lock at the moment, but with their current injuries they are in danger if they start dropping games late, or exit the conference tourney early. I would think they'd be sweating things if they lose to either Portland or USF and are then eliminated in the conference tourney semi.

Reply #351389 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Pretty good summation of SMC's situation...

Reply #351390 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Anyone know much about Shola diop? His mums Aboriginal/TSI n his dads African. He's 6 ft 9 and plays at Winthrop I think.

Reply #351420 | Report this post

Cell  
Years ago

Washington State wont get near winning the PAC 12. Washington, Cal and maybe Arizona are my picks.

The St Marys vs CSN game is still on according to the gaels website.

Reply #351444 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:41 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754