I'll raise you mark wright!!!

Reply #351674 | Report this post

Mr bEn  
Years ago

I'll counter with Olaf Lange!

Reply #351675 | Report this post

Really  
Years ago

And I'll trump you all with Dave Herbert.

Reply #351677 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

Dalton & Mark Wright & it isn't really close after that. Herbert is OK but victim of a poor club.

Graf & Maher clearly best though Buckle is also very good. Lucas on a similar level to Buckle.

Easy to argue the WNBL coaches > NBL coaches?

Reply #351683 | Report this post

coaches  
Years ago

After seeing Olaf Lange completely fall apart in a time out a few weeks back, in the most remarkable tv time out i have ever seen, he would have to be the worst.

Players have to be confident and trust that their coach can handle the pressure.

Worst:
Lange
Dalton
Wright struggles to communicate.
Bernie Harrower

Best:
Buckle is an extremely good coach.
Maher
Lucas is up there too.

Decent:
Herbie
Kristi Harrower
Graf - struggles when she doesnt have the best players. Not flexible

Reply #351709 | Report this post

Astor  
Years ago

Lange needs to step aside for his Assistant coach (who also happens to be his wife!) ASAP. She clearly wears the pants in the coaching relationship

Reply #351711 | Report this post

dude  
Years ago

I rate Lange as the best coach. Has turned a pretty crappy team into a good team. Sure he gets pissed off and angry but then usually calms down and tells the girls what he wants. Id love to play for the guy.

Reply #351732 | Report this post

ankles  
Years ago

Bored again so I'll have a crack.

Lucas - cant see too much he has done worng (other than clashing with Vince) throughout his career. Not overly blessed with talent in T'ville but has ensured they are competitive.

Lange - not a fan. Think Astor got it right and I've seen them both at pretty close range. Dude- I suspect you'd change your tune quickly as soon as you made a mistake or two.

Dalton - what on earth is going on there - good talent but anyone who has to manage Poto is always sitting on a landmine.

Wright - I think last year showed his true ability but his team has played harder this year with less talent.

Maher - can obviously coach but even he is having trouble getting through to Cambage.

Graf - again, don't think she can get the job done without extra talent - see World Champs and season 2012.

Harrower - think Bernie can probably coach but we wont get to find out while Kristi's still playing.

Buckle - has solid results but has extra talent at his disposal this year so I'm not sold yet. The only person I know who worked with him can't coach!

Herbert - you'll never know until he gets some reasonable talent.

Brown - until his return you'd have said absolutely, but I'm struggling to be convinced with his results since returning, either in terms of player selection/development or their WNBL performances.

Maher sits alone at the top for mine.

Brown, Harrower, Graf, Lucas, Buckle in the middle. With a team down on talent I'd want Lucas or Harrower.

Lange, Dalton, Herbert, Wright on the bottom shelf.

Maybe not the worst coach in the legue but the biggest under-achiever has to go to Olaf. Widely hailed on his arrival (based on the outstanding results of his work with Marion Jones?) he delivered a finals berth with a high quality roster (starting four current or former Opals) but cracks appeared then. Nothing he has done since then,either in recruiting, development or game management suggests he is ahead of any of our locally produced (and much less expensive) coaches.

Reply #351739 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Dalton has to go, can't win with studs, can't develop potential talent, other coaches seem to get the best out of their ROSTER!

The guy from Perth is good!

Reply #351745 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Nothing wrong with Herbie. I'm happy to have him here in Perth considering some of the other duds going around.
(Slight problem with our roster though!)

Reply #351748 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How can you not tell with Herbie? Didn't he coach Townsville for around 5 years with a good roster?

Reply #351757 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

coaches' point about Bernie/Kristi is spot on. No doubt about which Harrower runs that team.

Don't think the results in Canberra this year are that surprising given the situation... roster finalised very late, no pre-season, fairly significant adjustments in the coaching staff behind Graf, then the injury to the very-underrated Cosier... Think there are few coaches who would have had more success there this year.

Think when you look at the coaches who've worked with Graf and gone on to be very good, it becomes clear that she is as outstanding as the Opals appointment would suggest, though you could obviously say the same of Maher.

For mine, Dale Waters, when he was in the league, was a clear standout at the bottom. The content of his timeouts would have made a great training plan for u12's...

Reply #351788 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:43 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754