they must be desparate your thoughts on this

Topic #27612 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

he would have been cheap

Reply #351687 | Report this post

jobs  
Years ago

http://www.nbl.com.au/kings-shortcut/news/article/2012/february/sydney-kings-sign-shane-heal-as-head-coach-for-the-remainder-of-the-2011-2012-season-1/

Reply #351688 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

While only yesterday , Nagy wrote that it would happen and the reasons why.

Reply #351691 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

For the sake of Kings fans I hope this is only to see out the season because the person they have lined up for head coach next season is currently employed.

Reply #351692 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Vickerman to take over next season...

Reply #351693 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Yeah that sounds right as Vickerman publicly said he is only applying for next years job and no matter what he will be finishing the season out with the Breakers. Heal makes sense as an interim coach as not a lot of people would not be willing to take such a short term gig on and he at least has a public profile. To bad his coaching record isn't flash.

Reply #351697 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

wow given his reputation with the Dragons...

guess Cadee would be on the move soon

Reply #351698 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Heal still involved with the Boomers?

I dont mind this move, will be interested to see how he goes without trying to be the star PG at the same time.

I actually reckon he may turn out ok.

Its good to have atleast one of the stars from the 90's-early 2000's coaching, id love to see Maher, Gaze, Rose, a few guys like that given a go at some point, would be a bit like Hird, Voss, Buckley all coaching in the AFL, i think it adds some interest for the fans and many guys at that level are good communicators, very passionate, good leaders and have a good knowledge of the game and tactics so it can be a win win.

Reply #351700 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another interesting thing is will he be allowed to get a import PG, he has said all season in commentary that he thinks the Kings would be alot better with a import PG and Bruce (who is out anyway) playing SG and presumably the Lukes playing less.

Someone like Homocide may come in for the last bit of the season, give the club a spark to finnish the year, at the very least along with Heal they would promote the games and generate a bit more interest.

Reply #351701 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Heal left his duties with the boomers to focus on his businesses.......

And why would the owners let him splurge money on another import in a season that is already over? Do the Kings have money to burn?

Reply #351706 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

he might get rid of current point guard and play himself; like how he got rid of Mark Price. just the reverse

Reply #351710 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well i would consider replacing Ratzch offering Corey Williams or a young import wanting a chance to make an impression possibly from SEABL or NZBL say $1,000 - $1,500 a week (equivalent of 50-70k a year, cheap for a impot) to finish the season, with the chance they can do well and get a gig next NBL season.

You would only have to sell say 50-100 tickets for each home game, maybe double that to cover away games, the rest of the season to cover the cost which isnt huge, if you get a Williams type who is a promoter, the team does better and wins a few games, and finishes the year on a high with a bit of a buzz about them it could have good follow on affects for the next year and would likely sell more than the 200 tickets required to cover the extra cost.

Sure if they want more money i wouldnt bother either as there is no point splashing big bucks on someone when the season is dead, but a bit of a cheapish boost to finnish the year would be worth it IMO.

The 36ers should consider something similar aswell i reckon, when Hodge finnished the season under Smyth it gave the clab, fans, team a massive boost to finnish the season which left us all more excited about the following season starting. If you get the right type cheap enough ie $1k a week they more than pay for themselves.

Corey Williams and John Gilchrist are 2 id be approaching for this cheapish short term stint if i were the kings or 36ers, with the chance to prove themselves and play NBL next year.

Reply #351712 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

why does Homicide get mentioned EVERY time a position becomes vacant? He's so 2009!

He is a cancer!

Reply #351715 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well, Williams is a known quantity to the NBL, played well for the Tigers and boosted them last year, across his NBL career his teams have generally gone around 50% wins in the games he has played, which would be a improvement for both the kings and 36ers.

Sure he brings alot of attitude and swagger and arrogance, which some may not like, i actually think it would do the kings and the 36ers some good and they may actually win a few more close games. On a team like Perth id say no way, but a team like the 36ers and Kings i would say yes as both dont have enough swagger and confidence imo.

I saw interviews/blogs of Gilchrist and Williams over the past few months both stating they would love another chance in OZ, so would possibly accept a cheap short term deal, which is why i used them as my examples.

Reply #351716 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

hammer to coach you have got to be kinding the guy has had more teams than a 2 doolar hooker has had men .What the hell is going on with basketball in Australia we keep recyling old farts get some new blood FFS do we really want to see hammer coach . its bad enough we have to put up with MARTY . WE just got rid of massive pimple in Mcpeake and along comes hammer time to watch rugby FTS

Reply #351717 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I like how you question recycling old farts but then put up a new coach as "bad enough". Which do you want? This is just to coach out a lost season. Get your back up if they take him on next year.

If they have caught the ear of Fearne, why would they go with anyone other than a cheap short term option who might get some press?

Reply #351722 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

doubt heal do much for the rest of the season

Reply #351723 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

You have to admire his self confidence! This guy never goes out guessing. The pay cheque will be nice for him at the moment too. I doubt the commentary had much $$ in it & he doesn't know much else other than bball. Good luck to him. Ballsy little bastard!!

Reply #351725 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Regardless if he can do anything with the Kings for the rest of the season or if the Kings actually keep him beyond the end of it I say good luck to Heal. You can't knock the bloke for having the balls to give it another go.

Reply #351744 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:45 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754