forcey
Years ago

36ers v Wildcats

Even though Adelaide leads the season series I think Perth will level it tonight. We haven't played them since losing Balls and Crossy and Perth is full strength. I'm going Perth by 5.

Full preview here

http://www.36reasons.net/2012/02/preview-36ers-v-wildcats-24212.html

Topic #27613 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any live stream of the game?

Reply #351720 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Our team , the Adelaide 36ers , result would be about Weigh's 35minutes in this game. so far he is the worst in the league for +/-.

( Helliwell injury restricts us.)

Reply #351721 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Helliwell's injured?

Reply #351726 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Achillies , but will play (restricted)

Reply #351729 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

but he always plays restricted :P Sorry, he has actually been playing alright of late and hopefully he can continue that

Reply #351730 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Nevill's not a Helliwell fan .
Weigh can guard a lotta positions (sic)

Johnson prefers playing games than Helliwell at training.

Reply #351731 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Wildcats by 17 i reckon

Reply #351733 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

That terrible pony tail is what restricts Helliwell - plus the fact he can't play!

Reply #351734 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Why don't you just become a stand-up comic ?

Weigh's keen to guard Nevill.

Reply #351735 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think Helliwell should keep his hair how it is. It's so questionable that it's awesome.

Reply #351736 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

I like Big Wade's mo.....a smaller version of my handlebar look ;)

But the hair? Works for him I guess lol

Reply #351742 | Report this post

Fill Smythe  
Years ago

3.30 left in the game and Chris Warren has zero assists and 6 points.
Is this the best we can expect from an import point??

Reply #351746 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A cheap import point, yeah.

Reply #351749 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Seems like the 36ers made a rather spirited comeback only to have Perth push it out to a 90-79 win. At least the Hawks lost so for now we don't fall to 9th.

Adelaide missed 9 free throws (15/24 @ 63%) compared to 16/18 @ 89% by the Wildcats. Plus we shot only 28/74 from the field @ 38% (Perth were only 31/72 @ 43%) but it was 3's that also hurt...we hit only 8/28 @ 29% compared to 12/21 @ 57%. Do we take too many 3's??

Hopefully we can win tomorrow night in Melbourne.

Reply #351752 | Report this post

vertigo  
Years ago

Big fan of stupid plays! Whats with an alley oop pass that is unrealistic by warren to simpson late in the last quarter. That became a game changer.

Defensively, we allowed Perth easy baskets. Offensively, we got shut down, double teamed and forced into turnovers. Something we didnt do to them.
That says, coaching is crap.

Cant wait for the media release when coach says, 'we are getting better and things are starting to change for the better cos they arent. Thats total crap!

Reply #351755 | Report this post

freddy  
Years ago

Just another game with more excuses and more promises.
went to give my tickets away and no one wants them.
I wonder why?
Unfit, uncoached team
I think they need a whole coaching staff from fitness to coaching, very poor effort. And they say they played well. I'm sure anyone knows a good team is a winning team. The only team ever remembers is who won. Maybe the 6ixers are broke and cant afford to replace him and just riding out the season.
Love to know how they will entice the sponsors back. At the dinner the other night they didnt sound all that confident

Reply #351756 | Report this post

Squid  
Years ago

Herbert and Creek totally useless. For once Bartlett looked pretty hot tonight, so we decide to leave Herbert on and Bartlett off. Make sense. There is nothing in this time that is exciting and nothing to entice fans back next year. They stink.

Reply #351759 | Report this post

Quasi  
Years ago

We desperately need a decent point guard. Warren is a really undersized SG masquerading as a PG. He doesn't get the ball to where it needs to go and makes vital errors eg the alley oop to Simpson in the 4th and the poor percentage drive to the basket when down by only 5 with a couple of minutes left. Not a pass first guard and has a poor assist rate

Reply #351760 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

Squid I have to say Herbert and Creek kept Lisch out of the game while they were defending him...Comparable to Weigh's minutes and complete lack of defense (And offensively this was his best game in a while) I would MUCH rather see them on the court than Weigh or Ng.
Creek brings an intensity and tries to create plays and Herberts defensive pressure helped keep us in the game tonight.
I would love to know what Lisch scored when they were on the court in comparison.

We had some shocking passing or lack of passing today..Simpson being defended under the ring by Lisch and Robbins several times..and he gets the ball when he gives up and runs out to the three.

What was Marty thinking in the second half..the bench team had alot of momentum then BAM subbed out all 5 within 30 seconds, why was that time out not called 2-3 minutes earlier to slowly bring in other players and not completely kill our momentum by an entire team change!!!!

I really do think a better coach could get so much more out of this team.

Reply #351762 | Report this post

forcey  
Years ago

You're right Skud, Herbie and Creek at least play hard and did make Lisch work hard, I don't think he scored many on either of them. On one play I said to my mate "watch how Herbert plays Lisch". He was right up on him and then Lisch got past him and I thought it was a certain 2 but Herbert got back into a great position quickly and denied the shot. Tough as nails....but he needs to hit some shots.

I predicted in my blog before the game it wouldn't be Ng's night, no way would Perth let him take open 3's. He finishes 0/6. When he's not on he's not on yet Marty persisted and started him for both the 3rd and 4th quarters. Rather than reward Herbert and Creek's hard play he was hoping Ng would bail the team out with some easy 3's.

We were always unlikely to win this but I thought (besides that mid 4th quarter stretch) we could have made more of a game of it. The team looks better with Bartlett running the show.

Full review on my blog

http://www.36reasons.net/2012/02/measuring-stick-adelaide-vs-perth-24212.html

Reply #351763 | Report this post

bk  
Years ago

thanks for that holden v8 i just got home from the 6ers game and starting to watch the wollongong gold coast game.

Reply #351764 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Yeah sorry about that one, wasn't intended to spoil. My mistake.

Reply #351765 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

Don't come on an NBL forum on a game night if you don't want to be potentially spoiled of games delayed then. Simple really

Reply #351768 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

Herbert is our only wing man with a post entry pass. No point in playing post offence if you dont pass to the forward when he has a 6'guard on him.

if only Weigh could complete passes, Johnson played just a bit more D, and the team shot better from the foul line ...

Reply #351773 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Thought Johnson was good, Helliwell had his moments and Bartlett is useful as that second PG. Weigh was OK besides getting smothered by Robbins one time at the halfway line. Sometimes Simpson looked completely clueless as to where the ball was.

Ignoring junk free throws at the end, this was 5-10 points down without Ballinger having been replaced. About what I'd expect. Errors and sloppiness though shouldn't be there regardless.

That moment when we had 4 guys in superior rebounding position, the Cats were already heading back on D and we still almost gave up an O-board was ridiculous. No hunger. Contrast that to the number of times Perth got a steal or deflection from behind chasing someone down.

Reply #351774 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"if only Weigh could complete passes"

Ive never seen a guy look off so many post players. In Perth in 2010 I thought Luke Schenscher must have slept with his missus or something!

Reply #351775 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yea given we havnt replaced Ballinger, so are playing our franchise player down and took it fairly well to the Wildcats we didnt do too bad, I also expected a 10 point loss.

I'd like to see us play Bartlett a little more, as a trial for our back up PG spot next season, Ng less unfortunatly i wouldnt retain him next year, and through guys like Creek in the deep end and play him fairly big minutes to see if we can keep him in our starting next year, i love his energy and hustle but he needs to be able to consistently score around 10pts a game to remain a starter next year imo, he is still young so alot of potential with Creek either way.

For next year i think we need to retain Johnson and Creek, bring Crosswell back and retain Weigh who is under contract, Ballinger I would consider at much reduced $$$.

I think our biggest upgrade needs to be a guard, we need to spend Ballingers $$ on the best Guard we can get, target guys like Delly, Newley, etc, if not would Ballingers $$ be enough to attract a Ebi Ere, Donta Smith, Gary Ervin level import? possibly not, but we atleast have to try. If we get lucky and get a Newley or Delly then i would go with a cheap import combo guard to complete the rotation with Crosswell and 1 of Bartlett, Ng, Herbert, id personally chose Bartlett.

Our forward/centre rotation is good IMO, we should retain Simpson (or possibly try Williamson again), with Ballinger on less $$ backing him up, with Weigh and Creek at SF. We need to retain Johnson at C, and i dont mind Helliwell as a 10 min per game back up, but not too fussed who gets this spot as Johnson should play atleast 30 mins imo.

At best that would give us a line up of

PG Import/Crosswell
SG Newley or Delly/Bartlett
SF Weigh/Creek
PF Simpson or Williamson/Ballinger
C Johnson/Helliwell

That should be a fairly strong line up and complete with most teams, we can shuffle the guard line up around depending on what type of import we get and whether or not we can land a top line Aussie guard short of grabbing one of those guys id try and grab a Cadee or even Goulding from the GC, either would be upgrades on Ng imo. For the import i would consider giving Gilchrist another go on a cheapish deal, if we get a strong Aussie, as he was the best import guard we have had in a while, averaged around 17 pts 4 ast. 5 rbd, and played with alot of passion.

If we get Newley it might be a stretch points cap wise and may mean we need a cheaper aussie guard instead of the import or a player with less points instead of Helliwell, however i assume Delly would be a 3 so would fit in easily if we got him.

Reply #351776 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

At almost seasons end , Weigh played the least amount of minutes ever.

( Mostly I watch Helliwell, and I noticed , early this season , without Ballinger , Williamson and Simpson , that Weigh looked off a lot of times at Helliwell who was in the keyway asking for the ball a lot . Don't think he asks for it very much , these days.)

Reply #351777 | Report this post

bk  
Years ago

yeah its so simple ingles 13 why didnt i think of it i just got home from the game and was interested to read peoples thoughts on it. the thread was 36ers vs wildcats not wollongong vrs gold coast. anyway holden v8 appogised i realise it wasnt done on purpose and i still enjoyed watching the game

Reply #351785 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

The Sixers were predictably outplayed by Perth last night, but I don't think we were that bad. If you just switched out Warren for Ervin, we probably would have won easily. Never mind the fact that we are missing Balls and Croswell!

There was plenty of good to see:
- DJ's offence
- Bartlett once again having a go and making good things happen
- The team not laying down and going close to stealing a win
- Weigh finally coming alive and playing how he should play in the final quarter
- Herbert hustling hard and doing well on D

With the lack of PG factor in mind, I have to say I have been thinking much the same about our team for next year as anonymous:

#1 priority has to be sign DJ at all costs.

#2 I would try to resign Simpson. He needs to be better conditioned, but I think he is a good compliment to DJ in the post and would improve with another year in the league.

#3 I'd then go hard after a quality Aussie PG. If we could get a Markovic or Dellavedova or something along those lines, we could then use the second import spot on an athletic 4 man (such as Williamson) who can attack the basket, guard mobile 4's (Wagstaff killed us again last night) and shoot a bit from outside.

#4 If we can't get a quality Aussie PG, we should spend whatever it takes to get an Ervin level PG. Even if it means our bench is full of scrubs, it will be worth it, because we will get so much more out of DJ, Simpson, Weigh, Creek, etc.

In that scenario, maybe sign Balls if he will take less $$$ and come off the bench.

#5 Weigh and Croswell are both signed already. I'd then try to sign Creek, followed by Bartlett (if not too many $$$).

Then round out the last two spots with whoever we can afford.

Simpson Random Scrub #1
DJ Import 3/4 (or Balls)
Weigh Creek
Bartlett Random Scrub #2
Gun Aussie PG (or Ervin) Crosswell

If this team can get quality play from the PG position next season, I think we'd all forget about what Clarke did or didn't do in every game because we'd be winning quite regularly!

Reply #351789 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Beantown, that is one of the most silly things I have read! Ervin struggled against Perth where Warren had played very well against them before last night. If you had swapped the two the sixers might not have beaten Perth at all this season!

Reply #351799 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I can't remember how Ervin went against Perth, but he was MVP, so I'm pretty sure we would be better off with him than with Warren.

But I think you're deliberately missing my point. With a good PG, this team would be A LOT better than it is.

Reply #351806 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

I think any PG would struggle in this team..were the most inactive team on offence and have to many people..weigh and DJ the most who dont cut to the basket enough..Both guys actually did this a bit last night..but Weigh to often stands back and wants to shoot it.
I also think this is where Creek is really struggling in the team..so little movement the Defence is so well set against us theres very few gaps for him to penetrate without forcing it.

We need a better structure, planned offence for a PG to work...all you have to do is look at the play where we couldnt even pass the ball in the court after time out..WTF sort of planning was that Clark!!!

Helliwell is like a different player where there is a 7ft'er for him to compete against. His best really seems to come out and his effort level just seems so much higher. The team could help him out by now passing to his feet though!

Reply #351808 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

A good PG would create those gaps and force mismatches we could exploit, all without the need for a whole lot of structured offence.

Also, I saw quite a lot of good cuts in last nights game. Problem was, the pass was nearly always half a second too slow and instead of the receiver being in position to aggressively attack the basket, they'd be too far out, heading away from the basket, with their defender having regained position.

We missed several easy baskets for Simpson as well, because other players were not quick enough to see that he was free near the basket. Not to mention when we had the momentum late and Warren throws an alley pass behind Simpson. A good pass there would have brought the house down and the team might have ridden that momentum home.

Reply #351814 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

interesting point Beantown

in the Townsville game, I was surprised at how many times the 6ers players saw the open or cutting player, hesitated, then made the pass. in that game, Townsville were not defending closely enough in the first half, so the open player was able to get the slow pass and score, most times. in the second half, Townsville tightened up and started tipping passes away or preventing the slow pass being made at all. Ng's shooting saved the day then, creating other offensive options.

it sounds like Perth's tougher defence meant those hesitations were a problem from the start, last night. To me, that sort of uncertainty says the players were not reading the game well enough to make quick decisions and act on them. That could be inexperience, uncertainty about offensive sets, lack of trust in team mates, or maybe a fear of screwing up.

Reply #351816 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree Beantown, DJ is definatly #1 priority,

I would also love for us to get the line up along the lines you suggest you suggest,

id try for either

Johnson/Helliwell
Simpson/Williamson
Weigh/Creek
Harvey/Bartlett
Markovich or Delly/Crosswell

or

Johnson/Helliwell
Simpson/Ballinger
Weigh/Creek
Harvey/Bartlett
Ervin/Crosswell

Aslong as Williamson (or 2nd import) can play SF/PF, handle the ball a little and is good all round having 2 import forwards could work, aslong as we get the star Aussie PG, especially if we can recruit another half decent with our star PG guard and Creek or Weigh can also play some SG mins.

I went for Harvey as I reckon GC wont be offering him big bucks, due to his injuries and their desire to play Gibson at SG and having Goulding and Cadee i can see him falling out of their roster/rotation which makes him gettable if a free agent and probably not overly expensive, possibly risky but if he stays healthy could be a good pick up give us some more scoring punch, and a veteran with Olympic/Championship experience which is always a valuable thing to have IMO. We also wouldnt be relying too heavily on him with Crosswell, Creek likely to see some mins at SG with him and Bartlett.

If points cap becomes an issue drop Helliwell for a player with a lower points rating, even Lang from the Tigers would be fine as Johnson would be playing the bulk of the mins and Simpson could play the back up C mins if need be.

Sure these line ups are keeping the bulk of this years team, but i dont think we need to totally break it up, as we have good young talent, just need to upgrade atleast one of our Aussie guards and having many of the group together for more than one season allows them to build more chemistry/continuity, and given we are down Ballinger, effectively 10 points less than most other rosters and challenge Perth reasonably well and beat the Crocs recently means we are going in the right direction imo. Just need to retain our top players ala Johnson and add a little more and we should be alot better next year imo.

Reply #351834 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:50 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754