HoldenV8
Years ago

NBL Attendance - Round 21

Round 21 of the NBL season was the biggest yet in terms of the number of games played. In fact, the 7 games played will be the most in one round for the season.

Breakers vs Crocodiles - 4,000 @ NSEC (91%)
Hawks vs Blaze - 3,016 @ WEC (50%)
36ers vs Wildcats - 4,255 @ AA (53%)
Tigers vs 36ers - 3,500 @ SNC (100%)
Kings vs Crocodiles - 5,824 @ SEC (55%)
Wildcats vs Taipans - 4,200 @ CS (93%)
Blaze vs Hawks - 3,266 @ GCCC (62%)

A sellout in Auckland saw a good crowd of 4K for a Thursday night game and only 571 shy of the crowd the Breakers and Crocs drew for their Rd.8 clash at the Vector arena. The Breakers keep winning don't they...they're 12-1 at home this season, losing only to the Hawks in Rd.6.

Part 1 of the Hawks vs Blaze on OneHD weekend and only just over 3K attended. The Hawks are in a slump again and that wouldn't have helped (neither would both games being on TV). At best it was an average home crowd again for the Hawks in a less than average season.

Considering that Adelaide supposedly has the wood on Perth recently I'm surprised we didn't crack the 5K mark on Friday night. But then again a Friday game clashes with local games which in turn keeps attendances down. Still, 4,255 isn't bad for a team who have no hope of playing the finals.

I'll admit to being a bit surprised that the crowd on Saturday from 'The Cage' was reported as capacity. Not sure if it was just me but I could swear I saw a few empty seats there but TV can be deceptive sometimes. Still, it was a good crowd for 2 teams who have had seasons to forget. Once again it shows that the Netball Centre is just too small for the NBL.

The Kings posted the rounds biggest crowd (by over 1,500 I might add) and that with the team going in having lost their previous 4 games. While it was a bloody good crowd for a team in a slump I'm wondering if the high attendance was in no small way thanks to Shane Heal being the Kings new coach because the Crocs aren't exactly the team everyone flocks to see are they? That fact alone might have pulled a few extra people through the doors on Sunday. But again, it was a great effort from Kings fans

Like Cairns last weekend, Perth have posted their 11th straight 4K+ crowd this season and well done to `Cats fans once more. When will it end though? Not this season, or next I suspect.

Part 2 of the Blaze vs Hawks on OneHD weekend and like Fridays game in the `Gong only just over 3K attended. The size of the crowd was hardly surprising though because the Blaze seem to struggle drawing a straight line let alone a crowd. The game being against the last placed Hawks and both playing each other on TV for the 2nd time in 2 days probably didn't help matters either. Bad bad scheduling IMO but I'm wondering if the crowd would have been any different had it not been on the box or had the teams not played each other twice in the same round?

So there it is again. A tad longer this week since there was a whole extra game. Mostly there were good crowds around the league for the round with the exception of both Hawks/Blaze games. If I was part of the NBL the only team attendances I'd be forever going grey over at those in Townsville, Wollongong and on the Gold Coast. Melbourne too to a point but I think they are limited by the size of their venue more than lack of any support from Tigers fans.

Bring on Round 22.

Topic #27642 | Report this topic

HO  
Years ago

Is the Kings crowd the seats sold or the people who attended?

I have a mate who went to the game, tells me there were people about half way up the stands, but gaps everywhere in the lower sections.

Would be good for someone to clarify this.

In the early years the Kings were famous for having "sellouts" where up to 1500 seats were empty.

Reply #352075 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Fudging attendance figures seems to happen in pro sport doesn't it. An old mate of mine from Newcastle is a big Knights (rugby league) fan and it always amazed him that Marathon Stadium, for a ground that in the late 80's and through the 90's held close to 30K, could post a crowd of less than 15K one week (when the place was almost packed) yet in the next home game a similar size crowd would be posted as close to capacity.

I used to watch Lakers games on TV and have seen videos of them from the 80's and always wondered why they continually posted a Forum capacity crowd of 17,505 (or close to it) when there were clearly a number of empty seats.

Sounds like the same thing as HO mentioned doesn't it.

Reply #352083 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The attendance given by the Kings was only just over half of capacity, so youd expect there to be a fair few empty seats.

Reply #352094 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Sorry Anon, was not clear. Basically people were only sitting in the lower section of the SEC, and even then, there were lots of empty seats - the upper seats were untouched.

I just want to know if they count their sold memberships and their walk-ups as their crowd, or do they actually count the crowd.

I expect "attendance" to be reported, not allocated tickets.

The AFL count the crowd.

Reply #352112 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AFL are hardly the bastions of accurate crowd reporting!

I think your mate needs his eyes checked. There were people a long way up the second section even behind the basket.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/basketball/kings-put-the-hammer-down-to-give-heal-dream-start-in-charge-20120226-1twm4.html

Reply #352118 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Actually, the AFL let their venues do their reporting on crowds. So they literally take the stalls count - You probably cannot do much better than that.

You seem defensive - I am only asking a question based on what I've been told. Sydney was famous back in the day, even when they sold out, for having large numbers of members not use their seat on a given night, causing big holes in the lower section of the SEC - I've witnessed that myself.

Just want to know if the declared crowd figure is tickets sold, or actual attendees, do you know that?

Reply #352127 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just thought Id clarify the obvious mistake in your earlier post which, in fairness to you, was your mates.

Seriously though, if you think the AFL crowd figures released for some games at the Dome in Melbourne are just "the stalls count" then you are rather clean behind the ears.

Reply #352128 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All teams inflate their crowds 36ers included.

Reply #352140 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:09 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754