Anonymous
Years ago

Steven Adams

Has anyone been keeping track of this guy??

From the youtube clips he appears to be an absolute beast!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEKJ9G9iOcI

Could he be what NZ needs to get them through the olympic qualifying tourney? Seems to be better than Bogut at the same age... easily the best prospect ever to come out of NZ

Topic #27644 | Report this topic

Cell  
Years ago

Been following how hes going as much as I can and he seems to be going solid. Espns got him as the #6 player in the class (even though he in some peoples opinion got the better of Noel and Tarczewski when he matched up with them). Regardless, he is the top player to come out of NZ and has an NBA future.

Not so sure he will be the key to an NZ Olympic bid, but he could certainly be in the squad in my opinion as a back up center. He has the size and athleticism to compete internationally for sure.

Reply #352097 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

2014 World Champs the Kiwis will have a good trio of bigs with Pledger, Adams and Loe, who are all different players.

Reply #352099 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Agree totally with Paul...but Australia aren;t exactly short of tall options though ourselves for 2014, with the likes of Bogut, Maric, Jawai, Ogilvy and more...

Reply #352100 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

Pledger and Loe aren't exactly impressive IMO.

Reply #352107 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Why's that Hoopie? Loe can step out and hit the 3 and Pledger has been playing great this season for the Breakers and is improving greatly.
Size has always been an issue for the Tall Blacks and these 3 players give them exactly that.
Seems Adams is living up to the hype @ Notre Dame Prep and someone has made a facebook page which gets updated regularly enough

Reply #352108 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I believe he was recently named Sports Illustrated High School Player of the Week

and here's that FB page http://www.facebook.com/stephenadamsnz

Reply #352111 | Report this post

pwned  
Years ago

I'd wait to see how he plays against people in the same weight class before getting too excited. He seems fundamentally solid, but it looks like when I dominate my little brother.

Reply #352123 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

When I saw Pledger and Loe, they came across as big and awkward.

If they've improved then that's good for NZ (and for us as we need good opposition to make us better).

Reply #352129 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Pledger has been making a big impact in limited minutes and Loe has been impressive in the little I have seen of him.
I won't be surprised if Pledger becomes the dominant big man in the NBL in the next few years if he continues to develop at this rate.

Reply #352135 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

pwned, he already dominated people his own size at the Adidas Nations. Against Tarczewski he had something ridicolous like 37 and 20. and vs. Nerlens Noel he had something like 24 and 12.

top 3 pick in the 2013 NBA draft.

hes way more fundamentally sound and more athletic than Dwight was at his age.

Reply #352137 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And he is extremely humble. He won't be in a Tall Blacks singlet for a while as his priorities at the moment lay with Pittsburg and ultimately the NBA.

Reply #352185 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

has said he would like to play this year.

Reply #352189 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

just checked out Draftexpress.com and the have him being drafted at 6 in 2013, but that all depends on his Freshmen year next year.

Reply #352246 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Sky is the limit for this kid

Reply #352248 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Agree Mystro...I hope he does well even if he is a Kiwi!

Reply #352252 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Same way I hope Dellavadova does well in the States LC.

Reply #352255 | Report this post

Cell  
Years ago

Rob Loes only a sophmore in college and starts for st louis, give him 2 or 3 years and he will live up to some of the hype he got at the 09 u19 world champs.

Dont forget to add in Isaac Fotu as a future tall black big man. 6-8, power foward signed to play with Hawaii next season. In the Vukona, Benny Anthony mold and got some press (at least in NZ) for being the leader on the 3v3 World Champion team.

Reply #352348 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Isaac Fotu didn't hold a NZ passport early enough so has to play as a naturalized player under FIBA rules

Reply #352368 | Report this post

Cell  
Years ago

@Mystro, I realise he's not technically a NZ Born player, but we may as well use him when he is ready. He's essentially a kiwi and theres no point relying on natralised americans to win games.

Horvath, Frank, Kevin Smith are the only current contendors for the natralised spot. Braswell has shown interest, not sure on the technicalities but Josh Pace might come close soon too.

No reason not to give the spot to Fotu in 2/3 years when they have retired providing he progresses to the international level. Of course if somebody extremly talanted natralises then im sure my opinion would change...

Reply #352381 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Yeah none of the current crop are really up to it (naturalized Americans)but if Braswell throws his hat in the ring he will get the spot for sure. Fotu in a fair few years may have a shot but at the moment he is better off concentrating on College

Reply #352406 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:05 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754