Anonymous
Years ago

Div 1 Finals - Close games in all grades

Massive improvement in most year levels has really evened the competition out. Some of the stand out teams have been brought back to the pack.

Great to see clubs improving so much to make for a good series.

Well done to all the coaches.

Topic #27647 | Report this topic

rpjdbd  
Years ago

Let's get some predictions going, without any slandering or naming of under-agers please.

I don't know much about the girls, but here are my boys predictions.

U12B
Forestville to repeat Friday's win in the curtain raiser.
Sturt over Woodville in a tight one.

U14B
Norwood to beat Woodville by 20ish
Sturt to beat Southern by 10-15

U16B
Forestville to beat Norwood reasonably easily
North seem to have the wood on Sturt, so I will pick them, but I think it's probably a coin toss

U18B
Forestville to beat Norwood by 30+
Sturt & Southern to play in a corker, I'm tipping Southern, just.

Reply #352126 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All i know about the Girls are Forestville by a country mile.
Sturt and Mavs are so even it will be between them 2 take it up to the eagles.
West U/18 Girls have come from the clouds, but are they capable of up setting Sturt ? scores looked close again between the two teams last weekend.

Reply #352131 | Report this post

go mavs  
Years ago

with those results looking towards may - FVille state champs ?

they will get the girls state champs.

Reply #352133 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pity that the under 18 game between sturt and southern is on court 2, reckon there will be a big crowd to watch this.

This could be a preview of the state champs grand final.

Two Australian under 17 squad members going head to head be worth the entry fee

Few state players in this game also

Reply #352142 | Report this post

rpjdbd  
Years ago

Any reason to think Forestville won't make the state champs GF after they've beaten both Southern & Sturt, and came top in summer season? I'd imagine they will have a few state players too.

Reply #352144 | Report this post

Triton  
Years ago

You do realise that the person organising the schedule had Forestville play both Sturt andSouthern without their best playrs who were away with National commitments.

Reply #352145 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forrestville only have 1 state player, sturt 4, tigers 2 metro 2 country

Reply #352148 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Grow up Triton

Reply #352151 | Report this post

Triton  
Years ago

Just stating that Forestville got to play both teams without their best player, so their winning those games isnt really the same as winning against full teams when it matters. Is it now. Oh and the person who does the programming is a coach of this team isnt he? Or am I mistaken.

Reply #352153 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And they got beaten Friday night I see, were tigers full strength??

Reply #352160 | Report this post

rpjdbd  
Years ago

I know Forestville were missing some players Friday. Sounds like everyone has excuses.

Will teams be full strength for this finals campaign? Anyone dare to predict who will win the title?

Reply #352162 | Report this post

Years ago

rpjdbd, be careful, your Forestville bias is showing. Nothing wrong with your unwavering belief that Forestville are a chance at State Champs. They will win this Friday, but not by 30+, and they will not win the grand final vs either Sturt or Southern. In my opinion Sturt will beat Southern in that semi.

Reply #352176 | Report this post

Dumb ass  
Years ago

Well who cares about the other thread about bias :)
Tonight is game night and for some teams it will be the end of the silly season
so just a post to bump this thread and see if can get something going here to make for some interesting reading

Reply #352575 | Report this post

rpjdbd  
Years ago

Well, I stand by my predictions earlier. No one else man enough to put theirs up!

Reply #352585 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am going to tip an upset in the under 18 boys!! Norwood over Forrestville! There ya go

Reply #352594 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Woodville under 12's boys won vs sturt (unsure of score) and Woodville under 14's boys knocked out undefeated Norwood by 5

Reply #352605 | Report this post

westbearcub  
Years ago

upset win with west beating forestville in the 16girls west missing 2 of their starting 5

Reply #352609 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Where's the "like" button?

Reply #352610 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How good was the tigers and sturt game in the under 18 boys, classic game with some big dunks by southern

Reply #352612 | Report this post

hoghog  
Years ago

Norwood beat Forestville in U16 boys. A couple of injuries for Forestville, but still a massive upset!

Reply #352619 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Westbearcub,

I would have thought West would have been favourite after knocking off North recently. I am pretty confident you will beat them again!

Reply #352622 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All those west players still leaving in winter??

Reply #352627 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Under 14 Girls Forestville beat South as expected BUT Southern beat Sturt in an upset in OT.

Reply #352634 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not a good night for sturt :-)

Reply #352642 | Report this post

rpjdbd  
Years ago

So I got:

U12B
Forestville (correct)
Woodville (incorrect)

U14B
Woodville (incorrect - big result for them!)
Sturt (correct)

U16B
Norwood (incorrect, though I didn't know Forestville would be missing a couple of important players)
Sturt (incorrect, and by a wide margin!)

U18B
Forestville (correct)
Southern (incorrect)

Probably shouldn't give up my day job to take up basketball tipping.

Reply #352646 | Report this post

lolo  
Years ago

Just for the record, Norwood u16 Boys have been missing two important players all season. To win through to the grand final with neither of their talls having played a single minute all season is pretty remarkable in my opinion.

Reply #352648 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rpjdbd you originally tipped southern in 18 boys so give yourself another one

Reply #352651 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

"Norwood u16 Boys have been missing two important players all season"

Unfortunately, that's why pro/rel based on summer results doesn't always work. Teams change.

Reply #352659 | Report this post

anonomouse  
Years ago

Actually, it wouldnt change where Norwood 16 Boys played in Winter.

And neither would 99% of all changes.

And it would be much more accurate than the current system

Reply #352668 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How good is Woodville's boys program coming along - GF's in U12/1 and U14/1 boys beating the invincible Norwood team!

Well done Woodville - you show that any club can perform well with the right focus and development

Reply #352675 | Report this post

obiwan  
Years ago

675, you haven't actually won anything yet. Come back after State Champs and woof. I'm not having a go at you, in fact I hope Woodville's program is heading up as it's good for the comp, but please don't do what Southern do and get ahead of yourselves.

Reply #352678 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Obiwan - I'm not from Woodville!!

Reply #352702 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Obiwan from sturt probably!!

Reply #352709 | Report this post

Bowen  
Years ago

Woodville u16s also beat Norwood recently who are now in a GF

Reply #352713 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well done Woodville. It's amazing what happens when everybody is working together.

Congratulations. Good luck in the finals.

Reply #352778 | Report this post

Years ago

state champs most wide open for years - i going with eagles to take it out.

should cruise to state girls and with a bit of luck state boys

Reply #352780 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Based on U12's to U23's Forestville has 6 Grand Finalists, Sturt and North have 3, Tigers, Woodville and Norwood have 2 and West Adelaide and Eastern have 1.

Not a bad spread but it seems Forestville is emerging as the next Sturt in SA

Reply #352856 | Report this post

phobos25  
Years ago

Without naming names because I don't think it's allowed, am I correct in assuming that Sturt U18 boys were without a fairly dominant player, ie an Australian junior player? If so, that's a huge effort to get that close to Southern without him. You can assume that with him playing, Sturt are still head and shoulders above the rest in that grade.

Of course, if I'm wrong and he did play, forget everything I just said :-)

Reply #352860 | Report this post

eagles nest  
Years ago

forestville will go close to repeating sturts clean sweep in the state champs this year

Reply #352865 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Phobos25 go back to round 1 and see the result when he did play and then rethink about your statement!

Plus, they look more like a 'team' without him!

Reply #352875 | Report this post

eagles nest  
Years ago

wont matter state champs is there for forestville's taking - sabres or rockets will get second

Reply #352884 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Phobos25 what took you so long to start with the excuses, sturt got beaten, again, I suppose it was the umpires fault also, but don't worry it's only the summer season!!

Reply #352886 | Report this post

Outsider  
Years ago

You all have to remember that this is the summer season, any team can improve in the lead up to state champs and winter season finals, also, playing in state champs is very different to a regular season, you need to play good consistent basketball for 5-6 over the weekend.

I am not commenting on who will win what, just to make assumptions about Forestville winning it all at state champs is a very large call to make so early on in the year. Junior basketball can be very inconsistent, especially in a tournament format.

Reply #352887 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Outsider - thanks for the tip!!

Reply #352888 | Report this post

eagles nest  
Years ago

too bigger turn around for any club to change all those results

Reply #352889 | Report this post

Calls  
Years ago

Dont we get the eagles woophing on here every Summer season?

Reply #352891 | Report this post

pugpug  
Years ago

#875 & #886 - yes I'm sure a round 1 result in summer, and a semi final win without the player in question, is really important to you guys. I suppsoe when you are involved with Southern you have to hold on to whatever you can get. Serious wins down there are few and far between.

Reply #352906 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

RPGs wow we're you way off on the Norwood result. A massive upset....

Reply #352907 | Report this post

SNES  
Years ago

I can see so many parents running around the house in their children's u14 uniform... Seriously you guys make my day everyday.

Reply #352923 | Report this post

rpjdbd  
Years ago

I really thought they'd lift to send their departing players off on a good note!

Don't think I dare to put my GF predictions up after such a poor showing on the weekend!

Reply #352928 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe a better thing to work on for your predictions is to nominate from which club the departing players will be replaced!

Reply #352947 | Report this post

rpjdbd  
Years ago

I haven't heard anything about them being replaced!

Reply #352963 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yet!!

Reply #352966 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

rpjdbd How about where are they going ? And players what more than one going to different clubs ?

Reply #353046 | Report this post

rpjdbd  
Years ago

I think a couple of them are Centrals bound Anon.

I haven't heard of any other player movement.

Reply #353050 | Report this post

even comp  
Years ago

looking forward to u14 div 1 comp winter and state champs. There are rumours of few players changing clubs. Will be a very even competition for the top 6 or 7 clubs. Centrals, mavs and tigers player movement are the rumours. All pretty good players wich will no doubt make a big difference. I think Woodville will be the team to beat, wanted the ball alot more than norwood last week and they played very well as a team. Should be a great game this week against sturt.

Reply #353172 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes and a favorite son returning to Bearcats with a couple of recruits. Should strengthen them as well.

Reply #353194 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is that players into or out of those clubs?

Also heard some country players are district bound for winter season. Not sure any club could be confident in booking their flights to the nationals yet?

Take out the Norwood perentage on the table as I think they will be back amongst the pack then you can see how close the competition is. Some of the lower teams are just losing so I agree a great competition to follow in winter season. The top five will still be around the mark but it would not surprise me to see improvements from Centrals and North

Reply #353196 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This all supports BSA master plan for a more even competition. Just need to lift standard in other grades and get rid of North South.

Reply #353197 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

even comp - are you talking about the boys? with 14's??

Reply #353200 | Report this post

even comp  
Years ago

yes I was talking about the boys. Pretty much every team in that age group has a chance to win state champs and a shot at Nationals. West, forestville and north will have to improve. Centrals are set to improve after picking up a couple of decent gaurds, mavs have improved and also picked up a good gaurd. Dont know about south. Think tigers have also picked up a player or 2.

Reply #353232 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Only club booking a flight is Norwood. Only lost a couple of back up guards.Still have the best talent. Rest will be very close.

Reply #353279 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Time will tell all!!

Reply #353284 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the Mavs will be the big improvers, they have about 3 of the best tigers players going there

Reply #353292 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also another two from Norwood to other clubs. Which will even the competition.

Congratulations to Basketball SA for keeping status quo of one team per division.

Can you please extend to div 3 4 5 etc. this will strengthen more clubs overtime and get rid of North South.

Reply #353299 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

The Mavs are interesting in so much as their results vary widely across the boys and girls and the div 1 to 2.

Girls is where Mavs are strong and have a depth of State Country players in their ranks. Excluding U10, they fielded 4/4 in the Girls DIv 1 and had 2 of those teams in finals, won 28/45 games (62%) with a score % of 122%. Their girls Div 2 had 2/4, but they still won 16/26 (62%) and 127% score %. A great effort showing how deep they are.

In the boys Div 1, they won 18/39 (+ 3 draws) to go 50% win rate, but no luck in getting any into finals, Score % was 98%. Once again, a good effort. and nothing to be ashamed off. In the boys Div 2 they were stretched a bit winning 11/39 (28%) with a score % of 71%. Perhaps not as deep in the boys.

They didn't field a team in U18 Div 1 boys, but with country players or others, playing just the winter season combined with some recruits, then their win% may just go up some more.

Reply #353300 | Report this post

even comp  
Years ago

Anonymous, dont know if norwood should book their flights just yet. They got beaten by woodville last week,even though the final score was close they were down all game. lucky to only loose by 5. Draw with mavs the week before wasn't pretty either. Norwood have been on top all season but there are many teams that have been getting closer every week.Had close game with woodville mavs and central this season inc aust day carnival.Dont think it's a slam dunk for any team this season. As for back up gaurds, I think both players represented their state this year.

Reply #353302 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The big problem at Mavs is the lack of training. Over summer less than 10 sessions, maybe only 7 or 8 for most age groups. Div 3 teams training with Div 1 in the older age groups. The club needs to decide where its priority is. Players regularly attending country regional tournaments instead of regular training is destroying the club and its future. It wont be long before the boys program is non existent.
I have heard a rumor Southern are looking at some of the 16 Boys.

Reply #353304 | Report this post

NotFromNorwood  
Years ago

Ive got no problems with Norwood booking their flights. Our team values all the spectators from SA when can get.

Reply #353314 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who is the favourite son returning to the Bearcats?

Reply #353318 | Report this post

rpjdbd  
Years ago

Sounds to me like Norwood will be losing their coach too then.

Be interesting to see how it unfolds!

Reply #353330 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh the rumours!

Reply #353333 | Report this post

rpjdbd  
Years ago

Have heard on the grapevine that Forestville U18 boys will be missing 2 guards for their GF vs Southern.

Have any of the top 3 (Forestville, Southern, Sturt) played each other at full strength yet? Hard to get a grasp on who sits where before winter.

I think I'd have picked Forestville at full strength but without 2 guys I think Southern will probably get it done.

Reply #353449 | Report this post

demios  
Years ago

Unley formal.

Reply #353456 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wests under 16div1 girls have a good chance to triumph,its a real pity a lot are migrating for the winter season.Anyway GO WEST!

Reply #353478 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All the movemnent makes the North / South grading crazy. Come on BSA change it. One team per div. Finals in Summer not internal trial games !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply #353507 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep pro/rel not working very well at all!! The teams will all be different come winter season!!!

Reply #353522 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

So who won? Obviously not too many upsets as we haven't had the posts.

Reply #353527 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

the games arent until next week

Reply #353530 | Report this post

rpjdbd  
Years ago

Long weekend so there's 2 weeks to crank the hype machine!

Reply #353545 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wests girls leaving club after final?????????????I hope this is a joke,and i am playing against them in the final,stay together.

Reply #353602 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon 532 right on the money.

Come on BSA make a stand one team per div 1-7

You want talent to move it's working.

Extend the program and get rid of North / South.

Finals for everyone. Thats what is required.

Reply #353643 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lets just get the story straight, NONE OF THE WEST U16D1 GIRLS ARE LEAVING!

who ever brought this rumour back up please get you facts right!

Reply #353799 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AMEN to that!

Reply #353846 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Years ago

I thought they were going back to Woodville

Reply #353868 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So the old coach & the certain ladies are going to Woodville ,now that makes sense.That is if its nos a bunch of BS.

Reply #353881 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bunch of bs, Old coach isn't coaching I think you'll find.

Reply #353894 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This probably wont happen but if it did could you imagine the derby games between West & Woodville-brin on the biffo!

Reply #353949 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So the fire at Wingfield today isn't the only one lit up in the west,there is probably more heat down port stadium way.

Reply #353994 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No fire at West, spoke to Corey at the Grand Sunday night and his words were that he shouldn't of left West but can't go back now. So can't see it happening. He has enough going on with his Team 10 workouts he does.

Reply #354004 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why do people even bother discussing this guy here.... I mean who is he and what has he done????

Reply #354006 | Report this post

HaHa  
Years ago

^^^ Says another anon!

Reply #354007 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

all that's missing from your wrap is that you have not pledged undying love for him.

Reply #354015 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh so you picked up the respect I have for a fellow coach. Good. I picked up the hurt of you not getting any in your vent!

Reply #354025 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

4025, respect is generally earned. Who is he and what has he done?

Reply #354045 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This Corey dude should come to Magic,if he can get good results with them then he truly is a hot coach.

Reply #354162 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

u/16 girls game should be a good one, both are really quality sides with north and west. Hard to say who will win.... any thoughts?

Reply #354315 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's girls basketball...next topic!

Reply #354340 | Report this post

bored  
Years ago

with the u16 girls game played and north decided as the winner, what players have left or are leaving West or was that all just rumours and pot-stiring

Reply #354689 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I guess the coaching staff will see who is missing next training,since the winter season is on straight next Friday!

Reply #354775 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well everybody rocked up to training,so leave us alone & watch us take revenge upon North and win the winter season.

Reply #355338 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Im not involved with the girls but maybe you should stop posting on this forum about how you're going to take it out... gloating never gets you anywhere, see where it got you this season?

Reply #355365 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not everybody came to training some little birdies flew away!

Reply #355515 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:37 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754