Mystro
Years ago

Irving to make decision on Boomers soon

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/basketball/6507483/Irving-to-make-Boomers-Olympic-choice-soon

article out of stuff.co.nz

Topic #27674 | Report this topic

orbit  
Years ago

Great article but no way!

This guy holds himself beautifully & can certainly play but i cant see him playing 4 OZ!!

Reply #352436 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

If he wants to play at the Olympics straight away for the experience and extra sponsorship cash he will try to play for Australia.

If he wants to win a gold medal he will wait and play for USA :)

It would be interesting to see if the USA let him switch to Australia.
He is playing very well but they have a crazy number of AWESOME PGs at the moment so wouldn't really miss him.

Reply #352453 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

The money wont be an issue. Brett Brown vs Coach K?

Reply #352462 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

yeah to be honest they have probably more than a dozen that could step up at any one time. insane.

i will be gobsmacked if he did choose oz, but there is some sound reasoning if he does lean that way.

as mentioned he can safely say to his fellow americans he would love to play but without a guarantee, and knowing they will be looked after at pg choosing to play for australia could very likely mean a long international career to go with his national level career and the chance at olympic or champs medals would be very very sweet.

Reply #352471 | Report this post

Average OKKA  
Years ago

He will be in Team USA s 2016 squad.

Reply #352472 | Report this post

Latrentis  
Years ago

Said it before he'll for sure be picked for USA next Olympics. If Coach K is leading the team in 4 years why would Irving suit up for us? Would be fantastic for Oz basketball but this is merely a pipedream.

Reply #352480 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Whilst there is a still a chance there remains hope!

Reply #352486 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

4 years is a long time.
No guarantee Coack K will be involved in the USA team in 4 years.
Plus there are gun USA PG in every draft so even more competition for a roster spot in 4 years time.

Reply #352490 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

There's a lot of other PGs infront of him.
Rondo
Paul
Westbrook
Rose
Jennings (sort of)
Wall (As above)

In saying that, I've always said if you have to decide if you will play for Australia or not, then don't bother. We don't want you.
Feels like we are the back up girl at the end of the night, team USA is his #1 choice and he will only take us (the slightly larger woman) if his #1 preference falls through..

Stuff him, I don't want him to be a Boomer.

Reply #352513 | Report this post

Jacob  
Years ago

according to hoopshype he's speaking with coach k today. and it doesn't look like he's part of the plans.

imagine kyrie ingles newley neislon and bogut starting for us at the Olympics with patty and David Anderson off the bench...

Reply #352518 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

He could lead Australia or play a bit part possibly for Team USA further down the road if he's real lucky.
Rose and Williams are almost locks for as long as they can be bothered and they have half a dozen guys who could contribute minutes who are Allstars or at least on the fringe of being Allstars.

Coach K should encourage him to come play for Aus for the benefit of the game globally. It's not like his program will suffer, he has a bottomless pit of talent to draw from, share some round with the minnows.

Reply #352521 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/basketball/mills-gets-nod-but-irving-silent-20120301-1u5ul.html

Reply #352527 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

I think Brett Brown will be planning his team with the assumption that Bogut doesn't play.
He is always injured and the Bucks will be pressuring him not to play.

If he does end up playing it will be a bonus.

Reply #352560 | Report this post

Latrentis  
Years ago

Won't happen!!!
But I'd love for someone to be able to say "I told you so!"

Reply #352569 | Report this post

tickle  
Years ago

We're not getting him.

Reply #352636 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Says who?

Reply #352637 | Report this post

GetShreddedCuz  
Years ago

He's pledged his alliance to Australia! Now all we need is USA Basketball to approve! Big news!!! Bogut, Anderson, Ingles, Mills, Irving......could be a bronze medal line up, fuark.

Reply #352715 | Report this post

Taibu  
Years ago

I heard this also. Great news, i just hope it's approved by FIBA and bball USA

Reply #352716 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Sources please???

Reply #352740 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Guys just tell us where you have heard this?

Reply #352767 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

GetShreddedCuz and Taibu, same IP.

Reply #352827 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Hahaha

I love it when that happens..

Reply #352837 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

Haha post on the same week old topic 2 minutes apart saying the same thing. Not suss at all.....

Reply #352866 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hahahaha Classic!

Reply #352872 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Confirmed Kyrie will NOT play for Australia in Olympics. Is holiding out for Team USA in 2016. Source via Jason Lloyd's Twitter account (Cavs beat writer for Akron Beacon Journal).

Reply #352982 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:23 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754