Anonymous
Years ago

NBL lowest all-time shooting %

On the nose: The league shooting average from the field this year is 43.4 per cent, down from the NBL's record low last year of 44.0. The average team score is 80.5 points per game, down on last year's 81.3. Verdict? Don't expect 100 points but remember, defence wins.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/basketball/now-its-the-nbl-shooters-wilting/story-e6frect3-1226287680564

Topic #27690 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't know that the defense is necessarily that good. The amount of missed wide open shots, coupled with horrible shot selection is the problem. That's across the board, not just the lower ranked teams.

The standard this season has been well below that of other years.

Reply #352620 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

in years gone by you were allowed to block shots on d and use spin-moves to get to the rim

Reply #352621 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Three-point line is slightly further out.

Reply #352624 | Report this post

Fred  
Years ago

Didn't the three-point line move further out before last season when the game changed to 40 minutes?

You think they would have got used to it by now.

Reply #352625 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

The NBL has an increasing amount of uncalled contact. I think much of that contact is around the basket and players are finding it hard to hold position and then get the ball in good spots. I would be interested in how the shooting percentages of post players has changed in the last few years.

Reply #352629 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

A LOT of missed wide open shots.. Most other professional leagues if you leave someone open it's close to automatic.

Lots of zone, yet they don't try to make the other team pay from the outside. They just try to force it inside. It's very frustrating.

Also, a lot of spin moves, jab steps & pump fakes get called for travels.

Reply #352633 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

PeterJohn, that's my other favoured theory. The NBA, with all those cases of people left free to finish dunks, has a league average of 44%.

Reply #352639 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That comment about players in other leagues being money if left open was obviously written by someone who doesnt watch many other leagues!!

Reply #352658 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:25 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754