anonymous
Years ago

Private schools importing top players

I dont know if its jts me. Just want to get all of your takes on my opinion. Hate comment kept to a minimum please. So here goes. I've noticed alot of private schools import all these top notch players enticing them with scholarships and U.S colleges. I mean, doesn't it seem abit elitest. I mean essentially your paying them. For the last three years the national high school championship opens have been won by schools with imported material. Doesnt it seem abit unfair. I mean allow fair competition. The national champions this year, they're whole starting five is either a national rep or a state rep.

Topic #27695 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its great. Hopefully more schools will see the opportunities through developing winning basketball programs.

Reply #352708 | Report this post

Average OKKA  
Years ago

Good athletes want to train with the best. Thats the only way you get better. Being the best player on crappy team only gets you so far....
These "elitist" schools have those kids train up to 2 to 3 times a day. Its not by fluke that they are the best....

Reply #352719 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

then 80% of them turn out to be like JULIUS OR HOMICIDE .

Reply #352720 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

State schools run special interest programs for some sports. e.g., Blackwood for netball, Brighton and Heathfield for volleyball, Ascot Park for gymnastics. I'm sure that happens in other States and Territories as well. Kids apply and can try out to get into those special interest programs, which means those schools end up with lots of kids who end up in State and National teams for those sports. In a sense this is a case of private schools doing a similar thing.

The only time I'm aware of a school having some form of limitation placed on its participation in a national schools' event is a high school in Canberra, which happens to be the school where AIS volleyball scholarship holders go, because it's close to the Institute. Until a couple of years ago, they had a limit on how many AIS kids could play in their team at the Australian Schools Volleyball Cup. The others had to play for their "home" school. In the last couple of years, they've been allowed to play anyone in their Open team, which has seen them playing more AIS kids and making the finals in that group. However, I believe they are ineligible for points towards the overall chamion school. Not sure about that.

As long as the private schools also place an emphasis on academic performance, then I doubt there's much to be worried about. It sound very much like the special interest schools' model that I referred to above, which I think has been accepted pretty well in the public systems.

Reply #352735 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

PS - the notion of sporting scholarships etc is no different in principle to academic scholarships, which many private schools also offer. I suspect it is no different in practice as well.

There are many things I don't like about private school education funding and operating models, but this is not one of them.

Reply #352736 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Original poster - what school, what state?

Reply #352739 | Report this post

Average OKKA  
Years ago

Anon: Or they end up like Luc Longly, Andrew Bogut or Patty Mills. In the best league in the world.

No matter how much you love or hate Homicide or Julius, they are still Pro's.

Reply #352743 | Report this post

Anon1  
Years ago

Well a particular public high school who has won the last two years scholarships players with your tax dollars...a selective high school that lowers it academic entrance standards to bump up its sporting performance....other private schools that scholarship are at least funded by private dollars, no the tax man!

Reply #352757 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

okay seriously though. It doesnt allow fair competition. How is that even fair?!

Reply #352759 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Did Luc Longley, patty mills or andrew bogut go to these private schools who eliminate competition?

Reply #352760 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

It's not much different to when Pasadena had its team stacked with state players in different age groups, and guys like Newley, Ingles, etc... Only Pasadena couldn't maintain it's interest from players...

Reply #352782 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry did I miss where basketball was mentioned

Reply #352785 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Weird debate, sorting of going everywhere but I'll chip in with a concern.

Some time ago I heard of a Private School in Melbourne's east offering scholarships to kids, but one of the conditions was that the kid had to leave their current basketball association, and move to one of the "big" associations, which the school had developed a relationship with in order to play rep.

This is actually facilitated poaching, and if I was the governing body I would step in on this.

Reply #352792 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The reference here is to Sydney Boys High. Heres a little background to help people understand the situation.

1. SBH had been the whipping boy of the GPS sports competition for years. (GPS is a essentially a conference of elite private schools, where SBH is the only public school).

2. When they hired a new PE teacher he tried to encourage talented young basketball players to apply to get into the school for a number of reasons including: access to excellent education, access to quality standard of school competition and thus an extra development opportunity for the students basketball, a significantly cheaper option for the families than priate education)

3. A number of students who were already at public selective schools, and a few from private schools who played for rep teams in Sydney NOT state teams applied and got into the school.

4. Seeing that this was an excellent way to marry quality education with a decent basketball experience other younger players and their families choose to apply also and with word of mouth advertising more and more applied to the school.

Many did not get in because they were not able to handle the academic work. If the kids did not have the marks then they just didn't get in.

5. Now the school has a crop of soon to graduate players who are of a high standard. I do not know if they have many young players who are very good coming through their ranks.

There is no question about this though. Many of the players who have attended there have been very happy with their experience, they have provided a much needed boost of school spirit and the only people that have had an issue with what they have done are the wealthy private schools that they have been beating.

In some ways the little battler in me doesn't ming this, especially considering that the private schools offer scholarships that many public schools aren't able to offer.

Reply #352802 | Report this post

Sixersfan  
Years ago

I think if you can recruit top young ballers to your school then good luck to you.

Australia High School system is not like the US, when I played ball at HS I did change schools to go to a better school which happened to have a better basketball team. Even with a decent team we still didn't win the states that year.

We got beaten in the quarters or semi's by a team that had paid for a ex 36er to coach, did we whinge and carry on, no we simply were not good enough and we had fun along the way.

Reply #352842 | Report this post

highschooler  
Years ago

Best Aussie High School team ever:

1996 St Patricks Marist College, Dundas NSW

Ben Arkell (6 NBL seasons)
Russell Hinder (still playing NBL)
Kieran Sweet (3 ABA Seasons)
Michael Ghobrial (AFL Player)
Lee James (4 ABA seasons)
Mark Regan (1 ABA Season)
Several other scrubs

This team went undefeated throughout 1996, even through the National Schools tournament that they entered unseeded. No other Aussie High School team has come close to these results so far.

Reply #352848 | Report this post

ankles  
Years ago

At the risk of being kicked out of the boys club - I'd point out that probably the most successful schools basketball program is the John Paul College (Brisbane) girls program which has been undefeated at school level for the past two years (claiming both National Championships). 2009 they were Runners Up at Nationals. Finished this year off with a tour of the US, the high point of which was a 15-point loss to the #1 ranked HS team in the US, St Marys of Pheonix (their only loss of the tour).

Yes, they scholarship players (but not nearly as many as everybody seems to think), but considering this year's title was won WITHOUT the services of their 2 AIS scholarship holders, not a bad effort.

The 2010 team contained 7 girls who had medalled at Nationals that year, the majority of whom had been at the school since Year 8.

Only time will tell whether they stack up to the post-school achievements of the Dundas team, but given they have several girls who have already played WNBL or SEABL, the chances are good.

Reply #352853 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When the schools recruit...

* Do they make the kids better?
* Do the kids get there and not improve as much as they could in the BA pathway development programs?
* Do the coaches know what they are doing?
* Coaching talent is 'easier' than developing your own.

Reply #352874 | Report this post

Rizza  
Years ago

The 1997 Unley High School team was pretty damn good!! ;-)

Reply #352926 | Report this post

Coach  
Years ago

Being involved with a private school during the mid 1990's as basketbal coach. Both the boys and girls teams performed well in the National schools championships.
Considering all players were locally raised.
The questions raied:
1. Do they make the kids better? Yes!! any sporting activity is good for child development.
2. Do they get there and not improve as much as they could with in the BA pathway? Many coaches that I met during the tournament like myself are or were involved with other basketball coaching activities such as state representative level. Who where there to promote basketball development.
3. Is it fair that private schools are offering incentives to attract elite players? I could take either side of the debate. At the end of the day a school has to offer something that entices prestige. And offering a sports program that can achieve this for the development of the sport. It couldnt be all bad.
If a school does not have the resources beit financial or other resources which could help develope their students basketball. There are many domestic basketball clubs who will have well qualified coaches and competition which would assist the players with their skills.
I am sorry to say that the issue raised here are reactive and not proactive.

Reply #355679 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:00 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754