Vart
Years ago

Second Melbourne NBL club set to launch

From today's The Age newspaper

Jon Pierik

March 6, 2012

THE National Basketball League is close to approving a second Melbourne club, with an official announcement expected as early as tomorrow.

Officials remain tight-lipped about the venture and are still awaiting confirmation the new entity will deposit a $1 million bank guarantee, allowing the club to enter the league in time for the 2012-13 season.

However, the NBL board was impressed with the club's business plan presented at its last meeting.

The new team, which has yet to reveal its name, has two major backers - one has had previous business links to the NBL. It's understood a press conference has been tentatively slated for tomorrow morning.

The club will be based at the new state basketball centre in Wantirna South. The venue manager will be Knox Basketball.

Knox Basketball CEO Wayne Carroll yesterday said he was awaiting confirmation from the NBL.

As reported in The Age in December, it's believed the new team will use associations such as Knox, Sandringham and Kilsyth for coaches, players and access to membership - but won't ask them for money.

The NBL has also received a bid from a Brisbane consortium to enter a club next season.

The Melbourne Tigers will maintain their home base at the State Netball and Hockey Centre.

Topic #27713 | Report this topic

Terry  
Years ago

Fantastic News!

Reply #352965 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Oh great another incarnation of people involved in the Giants. Success bound to follow.

Reply #352968 | Report this post

Tori  
Years ago

Why would any one other than Knox Support Wayne Carrol in this endeavour ? Mister I,m a duel olympian, of how long ago?

Reply #352970 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

I wonder who the financial backers are? Surely its not Seamus McPeake????? Got bought out by the Tigers.Scarey thought!!!!

Reply #352971 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Seamus is not involved...and by all accounts a number of Eastern based Associations in VIC are involved abd behind it...

Reply #352972 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Wayne Carroll is simply the CEO of the venue manager (Knox Basketball Association). KBA don't have any financial investment in the new club.

Reply #352973 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

They might not have any financial clout in the new club but WC has been the one that has pushed this new group from the start. Anyone that says otherwise knows nothing about the situation.
Whether this is a good or bad thing time will tell. Having a club based in the East is GREAT news. It justifiably makes people nervous when names associated with the Giants are involved as look at how that ended. Obviously all basketball fans hope this venture succeeds as the last thing Victorian basketball needs is another failed NBL franchise.

Reply #352974 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL its funny how when its larrys mate they treat the new melb team with all the privacy it deserves, but when its another or bris they go shooting their mouth off promising prematurely what they dont have, all bets become off and treat it like a circus. can never tell when ur dealing with jeckyl or hyde when on the nbl merry go round.

Reply #353027 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL its funny how when its larrys mate they treat the new melb team with all the privacy it deserves, but when its another or bris they go shooting their mouth off promising prematurely what they dont have, all bets become off and treat it like a circus. can never tell when ur dealing with jeckyl or hyde when on the nbl merry go round.

Reply #353029 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Assuming you're the usual Brisbane-bid-guy, weren't you saying their bid was poorly done anyway?

Reply #353042 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

whaaa, youre not checking ips anymore ? no, melb bid was done well [from what i had heard id said], both bris bids done poorly and thered been no word over several weeks regarding the success of either, which is a good thing. whats the point in pushing through either one if its got no funding and no real plan ? but to hear one is still on the cards when theres still nobody funding it, well, its same old same old [misleading the public] bullshit.

Reply #353058 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

bris gets jeckyl nbl every year, melb gets hyde nbl ;)

Reply #353061 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

No IPs, you write in a very obvious style and only making the one claim every time so it stands out.

My point was not obvious, sorry. You're saying that the NBL didn't give Brisbane much support, but Melbourne was given support. You said that the Melbourne bid was done well but the Brisbane bid(s) have been poor.

Are you sure that the Melbourne bid wasn't simply given serious consideration because it was actually viable? Wouldn't you want the shoddy Brisbane bids to get shunned? You've always talked about them as though they're the end of the world as we know it.

Reply #353065 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sorry, im saying both bris bids were given a tonne of support - babysat almost, but they did that to unethical people who acted like they could easily get money they were never able to. another had the money, but was given so support whatsoever ? [bizzaro]
additionally, nbl have used some level of professionalism to not be talking in the media for the year leading up to the 2nd melb bid, sayin theyre confident it will go ahead, playing nbl exhibition matches there, etc, etc. they gave melb team all the privacy and respect that the overinflated bris bids should NOT have got, as it was obvious from the start they didnt have, and could not ever get the funding without trying to screw somebody or somebodies, into it.
nbl behaved very differently with melb bid - ensuring much secrecy and absense of pressure. i think the bris pressure brought out some very dubious behaviours between the 2 bris bids. the 3rd ? well, she was just trying to get on with the job quietly, but no support whatsoever. thats what i mean by jeckyl and hyde by nbl - unexplainably inconsistent and unreliable throughout.

Reply #353067 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

and when you say given serious consideration as it was actually viable, how would the nbl ever know if in the initial stages the melb bid ever had wheels - unless they had engaged in some healthy communication ? they communicated to draw conclusions over time, that the melb bid was viable. with the 3rd, there was absolutely no communication whatsoever and all attempts were petulantly ignored. thats the person who actually found the money ! go figure ! but ignored time and time again. still they persist with one of the 2 initial bris bids, that never had wheels to begin with, and some very shonky seamus types who are crooks in their own line of work, as well as the 2ns bid, who are crooks in bball circles already. somebody came up with this on another forum :

Shame on BQ for chasing away wvwryone who wanted to help when Bullets first went dwn.
Shame on all those who would not work together to grt them back.
Basketball is dying and the people who will noyt change there ways are to blme.
Shame on all fans who will not put hand in pocket to get them back.
Merry Xmas those that care and brickbats to those I mention above.
[not far off the mark actually]

then another :
I am guessing by the silence it is all over for another year. Correct me if I am wrong. Those responsible for turning people, who wanted to help, away when Brisbane first folded need to apologise to the many supporters that now still have no team.
[not far off the mark either, and same thing happened again this time as nobody wants to address these issues]

another :
Bullets not going to happen. BA not happy with proposals. Rejected attempts with good reason.
Guess that means unless a major person arrives to save the sport no more NBL in Brisbane.
I wonder what BQ are saying now seeing they told everyone they would get it up and running.
[fairly true]

lastly :
Where to from here then? Why does Sengstock keep saying he's optimistic, Brisbane will have a team again yada yada yada when it is all pending finance? The NBL is stringing along loyal suffering Bullets fan and its irresponsbile. He should have some idea whether a proposal has merit before he discloses to the media that Brisbane should be back. Fuck the Blaze and the NBL.

[very few knew about a 3rd player who came up with the goods but nbl dicked her around and never returned any communication - even though she sat on the 1st committee then left it when she sensed it wasnt going anywhere and not with the sort of people involved, who were influencing the nbl. the 3rd option saw the nbl behaviour and attitude as a red flag and a damaged entity not worth getting involved in. nbl shot themselves in the foot and that party has not regretted that decision. but fark me - what a stupid way nbl handled it ! things could of been very different now ! they blew it - many times over. the public knows theres honest funding out there, they had little confidence in those hogging all the limelight and attention, who could not produce !]

Reply #353072 | Report this post

Bball Fan  
Years ago

Seems like u know your shit anon!

Reply #353087 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL stop talking about yourself !

Reply #353097 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

feeling left out bball fan that you know nothing about anything that went on ? thought you were in the know all this time ? put your dummy back in your mouth.

Reply #353101 | Report this post

Bball Fan  
Years ago

I was actually paying you a compliment anon!!

Hmmmmm.......no nothing about anything?.....Being close to some people in BA would prove otherwise!

But hey, let's not get into a pissing competition!

Reply #353157 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Hahaha, the difference between "you know your shit anon" and "you know you're shit anon."

Reply #353160 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Getting back to the announcement of a second Melbourne team... Official word from the league is that there is no time frame for an announcement. There was rumors that there was going to be a press conf called today, but they are untrue. Like a lot of things on the interwebs.
NBL Commission is currently reviewing the proposal

Reply #353226 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

The reason there was no announcement today (and there was one originally scheduled) is that the 1 million had not been transferred to the NBL. This begs the question on why the group was given the go ahead before the money was in the bank.

Reply #353249 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

put it this way, 2nd melb team appears [and i say appears bc i freely admit i dont know anybody connected with the melb bid] to have funding, so thats something ! rumour is that bogeyman tipped into this as well. id be inclined to assume and could be wrong, but maybe something needed clarification or further information in writing etc prior to money being transferred. would not be the 1st time things have been held up pending nbl clowns getting their act together. but if its stable i welcome a new melb team just as much as any other. if not stable, then naturally same applies as it does bris. apologies i did read the earlier post wrong. it was late and eyes cross eyed. apologies again.

Reply #353253 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

..... I have only the feeling that Bogey tipped in for this when he was living down there during lockout.

Reply #353256 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

So much for slow, stable, sustainable development.

This is stupid if they are going to be in the comp next season. Way too late. I want these announcements years in advance like the AFL does, not months. This will leave time for proper recruitment, long-term marketing and branding, and to foster a succesful culture.

The only advantage here is that with all the ill will the Tigers have caused this season, there might be a few more fans willing to jump ship.

Reply #353305 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The Melbourne team has been on the radar for a while. Fans and players would be reasonably aware of it.

From Boti today:

Trust this too. The new franchise will then announce a major sponsor which will blow the socks off the other nine NBL clubs, plus BA and the NBL.

Don't say I didn't prepare you.

Reply #353307 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Isaac, I understand they have been on the radar for a while, but what I am saying is that a team should be officially announced at least a year before joining the competition.

This team - if accepted - will be announced no later than they should realistically be commencing the recruiting process. I think it's far too soon and the NBL is getting impatient again. This announcement should be for a team entering the comp in the 2013-2014 season, and the mere fact that they are already late in securing their deposit gives me the idea that they arent ready yet.

History has proven this to be correct.

Don't get me wrong, it will be great to have another team in the competition but you have to think of the league as a whole in the long term.

The NBL brand cannot afford to lose another franchise, the public relations nightmare that would create would just drive more fans away.

Reply #353311 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

They have already sounded out a number of players so the recruiting process is well underway behind the scences.

It appears they will target former melbourne/Vic junoirs currently playing in NBL interstate as a way to help connect to the large eastern suburbs clubs.

Reply #353320 | Report this post

R2D2  
Years ago

The mail is that Daniel Johnson is as good as signed to the new Melbourne team & he is also trying very hard to convince Mitch Creek to join him as well next year.

Reply #353332 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

The new Melbourne team have already courted some players. Others officially can't be talked too until 2 weeks after the NBL season finishes. I wouldn't worry about that.

Reply #353334 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Boti is completely accurate.
Bill Gates anyone??? I KID YOU NOT!

Reply #353357 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Also from the Adelaide Advertiser Boti article.

"There will be a second team from Melbourne in the NBL next season, playing out of Knox where Wayne Carroll, trying to maintain a low profile, will, in fact, be a big player."

Not bad for someone that has flatly denied being involved in an NBL club to all of the junior domestic clubs in the Knox area.

Reply #353358 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

lots of talk happening here will be interesting to see what is proven to be factual if any of it

Reply #353361 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

id like to know why carroll and the nbl want carrolls involvement a secret, maybe theres a part of them that senses the public would assume a few strings were pulled or something. if hes involved they should just start being upfront about things instead of all the cloak and dagger stuff. i dont see what they are achieving by taking that angle. transparency often works better.

Reply #353411 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Carroll has an official role at Knox and Knox is widely acknowledged as being part of the bid, so I am not sure where the secret is?

Reply #353417 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

I can confirm that Bogut has nothing to do with this second Melbourne team. Rumors are totally false.

Reply #353419 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paul, Carroll has only recently returned back to Knox.
If as suggested he's involved with the new franchise and in his previous role with the NBL he was lobbyiong for a 2nd melb team, then someone in the NBl should be sacked.

Reply #353506 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I dont agree. In his new role he should be involved in the bid. Unless there is at least some evidence of him somehow perverting the process for personal gain I think this just muckraking.

He was also involved on both sides of the SEABL integration. Should someone be sacked for that too?

Reply #353508 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He was high performance GM. Nothing to do with selecting what clubs may be involved in the NBL in the future. Whats that got to do with the Seabl as well?

Reply #353532 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree with Anonymous. The NBL's sh.t don't stink and nothing should ever stick to them routine gets really old Paul. You're either for better changes to the way things get dealt with at that level or you're not. Perhaps too much time around anything goes in unmonitored sport skews your judgement. You can't remain a little bit pregnant. The SEABL comparison is oranges and apples. It's time to expect better and more consistency from the NBL as this thread shows, or not; then reap the consequences of that decision.

Reply #353536 | Report this post

tori  
Years ago

We keep being told knox isnt involved in the bid in any way other than being one of the club who supports the concept and the plan of the proposed nbl club and that games will be played out of the new state centre. It appears from what people are saying out there that he is possibly involved at a much deeper level maybe even involved in the ownership structure. If this is the case people (other than those at knox) have reason to be dubious. Interestingly the bid is constantly being referred to by others as the 'knox bid'. It is common knowledge that a certain person has been behind the scenes using others to pursue this for quite a long time. All for the love of the sport?

Reply #353558 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

seems like not as much money being spent in the SEABL womans programme this year, hardly any new players and alot have left, maby there saving it for elsewhere ?

Reply #353581 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paul is an apologist for the NBl and Ba and a shame it lets his views get clouded.

Reply #353596 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

What I am saying is Carroll has a high level position with the venue manager and one of the associations involved, so to say there is something wrong simply because he has an involvement doesnt add up.

If it goes beyond that fair enough, but Im not going to jump on the 'sack someone' bandwagon simply because Carroll has an involvement.

Reply #353618 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i think the guys name is simon brookhouse but hes the guy who did all the work then when carroll was sacked from a job he did nothing in with ba, he was pushed aside for carroll to replace him, then knox was suddenly at the forefront of the nbls mind. interesting start for them already though hey ?!

Reply #353628 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brookhouse was a mover and shaker in basketball and golf willl now benefit from his expertise.With the close ties of Carroll to Knox, Brookhouse was always going to lose.
an628 summed it up earleir. carroll did nothing in Ba.

Reply #353634 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

someone had to do carrolls work for him so he could slide into a role he didnt create the success of, but just take it, and deceitfully. they really did a job on brookhouse im told, then asked him to stay on the board LOL. i suspect thats in case carrolls incompetence shows again, and brookhouse can do the job while carroll takes the credit. sounds eerily familiar...

Reply #353655 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

So what people are saying is that the other group bidding for the Melbourne license never had a chance because WC was given preferential treatment due to his links at the time with BA? If that's the case the new club already has a foul smell to it. I really hope that is not true.

Reply #353862 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

close anon. wc was always going to take over brookhouse role, but not til he had done all the work on it that wc wasnt anywhere near capable of achieving on his own. so its the same group. but they got rid of brookhouse who should of stayed. wc was being groomed for the role all along, with nbl knowing brookhouse was doing a great job and looking to be the likely group to deserve the licence. they had decided that was the group who would get it, wc had already been sacked at nbl, then brookhouse was killed off once all the work had been done and wc slotted into the role, which from the outside looked as if wc had achieved it all. it was all done for him - by brookhouse.

re preferential treatment, that was given to the first 2 bris groups, regardless of whether either had the money, and neither of them do.
in the case of new melb club, the foul smell comes from sacking the guy who did all the work, to then hand wc the job once nbl realised that was going to be the melb consortium to get through.

Reply #353864 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

actually anon i took another look at the 1st part of your post - [got 2 sick kids at home for the past 4 days and operating on little sleep] honestly unsure of the camouflage or whoever else really, was trying to legitimately get a look in for communication etc and was blocked from contact the same way the 3rd one was here in bris. would not surprise me as it wouldnt be the 1st time, but can't say for sure on that one. i do now know however that brookhouse who did all the work was pushed out and replaced with a bloke who was deemed incompetent or inadequate in his last role and as i say, was being groomed for a head role with the next melb team to come through, since he was let go. its possible that had it been another group progressing forward via nbl support, whoever was spearheading that may have ended up replaced by wc too. seems nbl are desperate to get him a job for whoever comes up with the goods for a new melb nbl club. the only one in melb who looks like he would be the only one to benefit with preferential treatment is wc. agree that it all stinks.

Reply #353867 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

About time the truth came out. A good journalaist would do a story on that. Doeas Eade read here?

Reply #353885 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good journalist and Eade in the same sentence? No way!! Doubtful he'd know a thing about the inner workings of either bid, but it wouldn't stop him from asking around on his fb status, and get an ad lib guestimate response from a fan.. or van tryhard!

Reply #353896 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

The Camouflage had some very respected basketball and business names behind their bid. Whether they were better than the 'Knox' bid or not they should have had at the very least had the same opportunity and chance in the bidding process. From all the talk this is not the case.

Reply #353953 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fishy to say the least But Paul thinks squeekie cleen.

Reply #354024 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

353953 thats really what it boils down to at the end of the day right ? nbl cant make educated decisions to save themselves, and their methods of guestimating things based on little or even no communication at all, for a bunch of adults, is well, really poor. you cant know if an offers good or not if no dialogue takes place or efforts get unreturned. same opportunities is what its about and not much to ask, especially when its for nbl benefit to get their business needs met ! in every case they should go with the one that has the best options to offer, but agree 100% thats not how its been getting done. its sneaky as shit. like players versions of brown paper bags or something.

Reply #354031 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just got told thee may have been 2 bids out of knox.not sure how but some sort of $$$$ dispute and another bid put in late,and that looks to be favWC involved in both

Reply #354032 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

holy hell. sounds like nbl have been making as much of a shambolic mockery in melb as they have been up here with the next clubs to come through. such distracting energy they make people have to waste. real idiots, mate. real idiots. have been told by someone down there that one of the $$$ disputes is related to brookhouse and money he put in. id be disputing it too and recouping every cent if possible for repaying him with a sacking. hope he takes nbl to court or whatever can be done in these circumstances because he was intentionally misled and used by a lot of people and didnt deserve it. these are the sorts of people you and nbl should want getting involved - not the scummy pricks that actually get preferential treatment in both cities.

Reply #354034 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

only glory hunting vultures would want to still get involved with a company like nbl after this stuff gets out there. you cant hide this stuff forever. it all comes out in the wash. my mate from one of the committees up here who ditched their insidious ways, and the wealthy interested investor she convinced of the cause, considered themselves as having dodged a bullet [pardon the pun !] with the whole embarassing debacle and nbl gaffes. she has her own business, looking to start up another on the side, and got asked to do some work for this person too - he was so impressed with her character, passion, etc. brookhouse hasnt had much better of a ride from the smses coming through on this right now. shame on them all who have been to blame for these stuffups and games. dont know about melb but this has happened here every year since 2008. nbl will do the same old shit again next year. nobody will care then everybody with $$$ will have heard and will stay the hell away from them.

Reply #354035 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

What worries me is the rumour that the bid involving a number of big associations has been knocked on the head in favour of a Knox-only bid. If that's true you are effectively creating another, albeit bigger, Melbourne Tigers that people from other clubs might be reluctant to support.

Whatever the model, to really succeed you need support from local associations.

Reply #354093 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

aside from that paul, more importantly the behaviour itself lacks morals, ethics and transparency ? theres more than just the basketball side of things and has repercussions that are far reaching in terms of who would want to support people who conduct themselves this way.

Reply #354120 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

in addition, to have support from associations, that also requires some ethical behaviours and agendas by associations for associations to be and remain attractive or on the same page as a buyer, right ? because if a buyer doesnt see or hear of the same values and morals in an association then that doesnt get to progress anywhere. also if you then have a situation where an association is trying to block people with money who see through them, or an association who tries to block people in leading sources of funding to the nbl for discussion, then it still cant go anywhere can it ? too many on the committees, nbl and associations had or have too many agendas which makes progress impossible. its all fucked and losing respect. reform means nothing without these things being stamped out. now when the nbl themselves participate in these behaviours, well, you then have no chance of fixing it.

Reply #354124 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good idea, worry about the effect it might have on others rather than how that came to be an issue in the first place

Reply #354171 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

can you elaborate on that point pls ?

Reply #354176 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

since when or why is everyone else trying to do a job, responsible for silent secret baggage of an association or nbl, that they didnt even do anything to ? at what point should those trying to focus on the tasks at hand, be responsible for the bad communication and manipulation they unjustly bring ? they get to behave carte blanche do they ? disagree 100% with that.

Reply #354182 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

A previous post made mention of two bids from Knox- this is apparently correct. Word has it there was originally one bid with a big group of people involved. One of these said people put up a fair amount of their money and expertise in getting the bid organised. Next thing with no warning they are left out in the cold with no information and the people they were bidding with had gone out on their own. If this is the case it is a disgrace and the sooner all of this comes out in the media the better.

Reply #354185 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'll back it in there could be some involvement from someone from Kilsyth too.

Reply #354187 | Report this post

anonanonanon  
Years ago

re anon 354185. Strange you should write that. Heard exactly the same last week and was skeptical. If said person has really been dogged as you and others are saying then why hasnt he spoken up? Who would put up with being treated that way? If true then will come out sooner or later and those involved should be ashamed of themselves.

Surely nobody would tolerate being treated that way. I guess it's only a matter of time and the truth will come out. If these "rumours" are correct then those who have been a party to it should be ashamed of themselves.

Reply #354197 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

354197 bris kerfuffle - they arent rumours she is a good friend and of my family. known her a long time and a very upstanding person of high integrity. probably made much lesser people whove had involvement in this very insecure about themselves and their conduct. she did speak out. she did even threaten nbl, including sports commission. nobody did anything. she stopped caring along with the investor she sourced and had extensive plans and dialogues with, and both figured they had dodged a bullet so to speak by leaving the kids to fight and squabble in the sandpit as i explained.

354185 melb kerfuffle - now looks like some eerie similar things were done again in melb that were done here. um, just, wow. except the melb ones all were communicated with, at some point of procedings. i heard brookhouse was either looking into legal avenues moreso to recoup costs, lucky no money exchanged hands here so again, they were happy to have dodged a bullet in that sense and done a favour with all this nonsense. its still grotesquely rude of course and inconvenient to a guy who could afford this as a drop in the ocean. all that crying like babies about cant find funding was right under their nose but they acted like incestuous sell out douchebags thats why they couldnt get any of it. no idea if brookhouse has also gone to the sports commission who were sympathetic to the extent of nonsense that had gone on, but couldnt do much about it. were advised to write a complaint letter to the ba board but look at whos on that - all the old boys who wouldnt question larry, flanagan and co, so not very practical. i suspect brookhouse is happy with golf now as are the 3rd invisible people from bris. did them a favour, really, but like i said, shit disgraceful behaviours from nbl. no sympathy for them up here nor any trust in any of their statements or claims from now on. compulsive liars and crooks who only seem to do deals with people like themselves.
betcha none of this will make news - nbl is a self inflicted cautionary tale and richly deserve that title. fully support brookhouse if hes able to do something about his treatment. very upstanding hardworking guy too im told.

Reply #354203 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

brokhouse isnt who im talking about but no good for him if hes been treated similarily

Reply #354204 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not Bookhouse either that I am talking about.When team is announced I imagine there might be some very serious legal questions to be answered. But I am not sure if they are unethical or illegal

Reply #354205 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rather than all the smoke and mirrors ,when is this announcement actually being made?..Does anyone know?...Time for at least a statement from BA or NBL or whoever else is the circus master

Reply #354206 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so youre saying theres been a t-h-i-r-d person nbl have treated like this ? holy hell. this is just retarded. theyre like some kind of cult ! i cant imagine brookhouse not doing something about it to recoup all his money - i dont know if the board position tokenism was to keep him quiet ? but no way can they just keep his money. very bad form. i really believe things have got so despicable and shambolic that they should just leave both cities alone for the time being. not something id advocate as a solution by any means but theyre making a mockery of themselves and those that tried to get something done about the nbls whinging for 2 new teams. cool their jets maybe. then have a massive clean out at nbl and try again. if theyre lucky, somebody might, just might, take them seriously. really dont know what else to say. wow, just wow. disgracefully shameless and morally bankrupt. i think no announcement as theyre looking for a new party to burn to the ground, then pull on public heartstrings that theres support for the 2 teams in the community. yes, tell us something we dont already know - with the conscience of wall st bankers !

Reply #354210 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

and im seriously hoping tinklers people have not been messed around by the same sort of embarassing garbage.

Reply #354213 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

So according to the above, someone named Brookhouse has been shafted by BA and one of the bid team and sacked abusing him to pursue legal recourse to recover funds he invested in the bid process - Is that correct? But he has also accepted a position on the board of the bidding company/group? That doesn't sound very likely.

Also to the various anonymouses could you please pick a name to put to your posts so it's easier to distinguish who is saying what etc :)

Reply #354236 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brookhouse is now in golfing circles

Reply #354256 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

statman confused

Reply #354280 | Report this post

astor  
Years ago

No idea whats happened to brookhouse in the past, but do feel sorry for him. He has not been involved in the most recent bid.Rumour has it, W C involved in 2 bids very recently.Rumour also has it he jumped off first bid to second to be major player .Person who was heading first bid has been left out in the cold. As usual its not what you know but what connections you have.

Reply #354284 | Report this post

astor  
Years ago

No idea whats happened to brookhouse in the past, but do feel sorry for him. He has not been involved in the most recent bid.Rumour has it, W C involved in 2 bids very recently.Rumour also has it he jumped off first bid to second to be major player .Person who was heading first bid has been left out in the cold. As usual its not what you know but what connections you have.

Reply #354285 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

nbl could go about all this with some kind of tact and professionalism though. whole thing has been incestuous and communicated very badly with those involved every time. word gets around about their shonky ways and alienates credible soures of funding. nobody will want to do business with those guys if they dont lift their game. they demand respect but no clue about how to earn or maintain it. somebody needs to turn a mirror back on them and see if they would like to have business deals handled like this and enjoy it. theres only so many messes they can keep making - basketball is a small world in this country and after that its going to get very hard for them. naturally they will look for someone other than themselves to blame for the messes left behind. larrys too blindsided by his friendship with wc to do anything about it so on it will go. nothing there will ever change im afraid.

Reply #354288 | Report this post

Fred  
Years ago

I had a mate who was at the season launch for the Knox Raiders last night and he said that Simon Brookhouse was there as a special guest and Wayne Carroll talked about him very positively during his speech so there doesn't appear to be any bad blood between those parties.

Reply #354292 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wonder about these posts not are they not very clear in what is being accused or said they probably at the same time appear to be libelous.

I have tried to read them but apart from gleaning that some think that some are being shonky calling BA or the NBL corrupt etc doesn't go well for credibility. Just saying!

Reply #354300 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

naiive much ? yes, at a launch, where brookhouse was given a board position, and has money tied up with a venture that reeks of unprofessionalism, he was always going to make a scene at the launch. wc should speak highly of him, he did his job for him and got all the support for it, but lucky for him went to golf. i reckon behind closed doors its a different story. wake up people, one person makes a call based on a mate who went, then suddenly theres no truth to all the kerfuffle thats been going on in those circles ? whatever then. hate to think of how much you guys gave to the evangelist kony movement, and still defend its squeeky clean image ! believe what you want.

Reply #354306 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:54 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754