LC
Years ago

#18 Saint Mary's vs #25 Gonzaga - WCC Tournament Final

Let's keep the in-game discussions in this thread.

Close game nearing end of the first half. Page and Delly have been solid, whilst Gonzaga's front line is proving challenging for the Gael's.

Just wish I could be watch it live rather than watching live stats at work...

Topic #27715 | Report this topic

LC  
Years ago

36-all at half time.

Leaders for SMC
Delly: 10pts, 2reb, 2ass, 2to
Page: 8pts, 1reb, 1ass, 2to
Jones: 7pts, 1reb, 2ass, 1st

Leaders for GU:
Harris: 11pts, 5reb, 1st
Sacre: 8pts, 1reb

Gonzaga's imposing front line has caused the Gael's issues so far, whilst it is the perimeter shooting keeping the Gael's in the game.

SMC is 7/14 from downtown so far which is pretty good shooting and overall 51.9% from the field compared to Gonzaga's 2/7 from long range and 48.3% shooting from the field. Another concern is that SMC has only gone to the free throw line once to date for 1/2.

Reply #352979 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks for the updates!

Keep them coming!

Reply #352981 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

SMC up by 2 with 7:02 remaining...

Reply #352984 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Delly now has 16 points to lead the Gael's, also has 4 assists.

Gonzaga's bigs still causing the most trouble...

Reply #352985 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Gael's by 3 with 3:42 remaining...Delly and Jones leading the way with 18 points each.

Reply #352987 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

2:48 to go - Gael's lead 65-62 with Gonzaga in possession.

Reply #352988 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

67-63 SMC with lead with 1:18 to play!

I hear you about the live stats LC. Next time lets just take the day off and go to the pub!

Reply #352990 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Gael's by 4 with 1:18 to go - timeout - Gonzaga in possession.

Reply #352991 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Gael's still by 4 and in possession with just 0:31 to go - Gonzaga now resorting to fouling...

Reply #352992 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Delly to the line with 0:31 to go - interestingly he hasn't been there yet today.

Reply #352993 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Page makes 1/2 from the line - Zag's rebound the missed free throw, Delly fouls and Gonzaga call timeout with 23 seconds left and with the Gael's leading 68-63.

Reply #352994 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Oops, Gonzaga not in penalty yet. Sorry.

Reply #352995 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Zag's miss a three-point attempt, get the offensive board and put-back - SMC with possession leading by 3 and with 15 seconds remaining.

Reply #352996 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Scrap my last two comments - I clearly have no idea whats going on! LC, are you using ESPN Gamecast?

Reply #352997 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Delly turns the ball over with 11 seconds left...

Reply #352998 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Nope - just their play-by-play...Gamecast does not function properly for me...

Reply #352999 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

9 seconds left, Jones fouls. Timeout SMC. Gael's still lead by 3.

Reply #353000 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Zag's nail a three with 5 seconds to go - scores all tied.

Reply #353001 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Bugger!

Reply #353003 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Delly misses the piotential game-winner - we head to Overtime!

Damn!

Reply #353004 | Report this post

Jerry Dennard Jr  
Years ago

WTF just happened in those last 31 seconds ??

Reply #353006 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Overtime - Delly missed his last three shots. Had one to win it with 1 second to go.

Reply #353007 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Just looking at the plays - SMC were up by 5, 68-63 with 0:17 to go! Damm.

Reply #353008 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Harris, Gonzaga's athletic power forward has killed Saint Mary's both inside and out and that three by him was massive to force OT...he leads all scorers with 22 points alongside 12 rebounds.

Delly's last minute was not his best...that turnover with 11 seconds left allowed the Zag's the chance they needed.

Reply #353009 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

SMC opens with 3 straight shots all missed before the Zag's even had a chance...Zag's then nail 2/2 from the line followed by a Steindl shot that was blocked and GU have a 2 point lead with 3:38 remaining in OT.

Reply #353011 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Waldow and Page bookend a missed Zag's three-point attempt and SMC back up by 2 with 2:39 to go

Reply #353012 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Scores all tied with 1:10 to go in OT. Delly not having a good time as he has not yet scored and just turned it ouver - Zag's in possession.

Reply #353013 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

48 seconds to go - SMC have possession. Scores still tied.

Reply #353014 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Delly comes up good - 2/2 from the line and the Gael's lead by 2 with just 35 seconds to go in OT. Zag's call a full timeout.

Reply #353015 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Missed quick shot by Zag's, ends up with Page at the line who nails 2/2 - SMC by 4 with 30 seconds...come on SMC!!!!

Reply #353016 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

SMC take a full timeout with 25 seconds to go.

Reply #353017 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

2 point game with 15 seconds to go, SMC in possession

Reply #353018 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Gael's win 78-74 in OT!

Reply #353019 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Looking better now LC! C'mon Gaels, bring it home!

Reply #353020 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Gaels win 78-74 in OT! They are off to the big dance!

Reply #353021 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just watched this game live!!! Sick to see so man Aussies doing their thing. Delly is one tough SOB. Gotta say the argument for staying in Oz for our up and coming young players is weak considering the experience that these guys have just been a part of. NOTHING even remotely close to that available in Oz.

Reply #353023 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Delly sealed it at the line, nailing 2/2 from the line...

Reply #353024 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow I was going excited just reading all of your posts!!
Thanks heaps LC!!

Wish I could have watched it!

Reply #353026 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

I agree Anon - it's an argument that deserves a whole new thread, that is, play locally in the NBL or go to college. Personally I don't know why Ian Stacker is sticking his nose into it. His job as AIS head coach is to develop players to play for Australia. Surely playing in a game like today, and now in the NCAA tournament, will do more for a players ability to handle international basketball at the Olympic or World Championship level, than playing in the NBL will.

Reply #353031 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

#18 Saint Mary's defeated Gonzaga 78-74 in OT (Final WCC Tourney)
Steindl started and scored 4 points on 1/6 shooting (1/5 3PT, 1/2 FT) to go with 6 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 steal and no turnovers in 36 minutes.
Dellavedova started and scored an equal game-high 22 points on 8/21 shooting (2/6 3PT, 4/4 FT) to go with 3 rebounds, 4 assists and 7 turnovers in playing all 45 minutes.
Page started and scored 16 points on 5/11 shooting (3/7 3PT, 3/4 FT) to go with 3 rebounds, 2 assists and 2 turnovers in playing all 45 minutes.
Young came off the bench and had just 1 assist in 1 minute.

Reply #353037 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Reply #353043 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

The Gael's are now dancing for the 2nd time in the last 3 years!

The last time the Gael's played in the NCAA tournament in 2010 they made it all the way to the Sweet 16...

Reply #353044 | Report this post

Naph  
Years ago

If you're interested in the Gaels you should check out www.godisagael.com which is their message board.

Reply #353073 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Delly was also named the WCC Tournament MVP and to the All-WCC Tournament team which was:

Doolin (San Francisco)
Harris (Gonzaga)
Jones (Saint Mary's)
Pangos (Gonzaga)
Dellavedova (Saint Mary's) - MVP

Reply #353078 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Reply #353081 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Have you voted for Delly in the Bob Cousy Award yet???

Vote 1 for Delly
(by clicking on this link)

Reply #353082 | Report this post

SarahGC  
Years ago

man what a game, i thought the Gaels had it in the bag at the end of normal time until Harris hit that crazy 3 pointer. OT was a damn nail biter so glad we won!
Delly played awesome, Page stepped up, even a few guys off the bench played some good minutes like Levesque. Their defence especially on Pangos really helped them win.
We're going dancin! Bring on March Madness

Reply #353099 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

wouldn't you love to have those Seniors in the NBL now they're leaving college and not likely to get drafted - Steindl, Jones, Sacre,..

Reply #353125 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

I've always been surprised that an NBL club hasn't tried to take more advantage of the Aussie relationship with St Marys. You'd get first dip at both their Aussie kids coming home, and you'd also build up a nice list of import prospects. Look at Diamon Simpson! I'm sure it wouldn't have taken much to pursuade someone like Mickey McConnell from going to the Italian second league, or Omar Samhan who is currently playing in the Phillippines I think. Rob Jones will obviously be an NBL import standard pro too.

Reply #353129 | Report this post

Cell  
Years ago

Sacre will have a good shot at the NBA. theres not a ton of 7-0 guys that will be there in the late second round. I was impresed by him and also Harris in that game.

Reply #353133 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

Cell, I'd love to see Sacre get drafted, but I think they'll always look at the stronger conferences first.

Reply #353135 | Report this post

Naph  
Years ago

Sacre has a good shot, and plays reasonable defense. But he has no lift, and is pretty soft on the boards.

I don't think his chances are any better than Omar Samhan's were/are. He made a summer league squad, and trialled with Houston before this season but didn't make the cut.

In other Omar news he apparently tore his ACL in the Phillipines, so he'll be out for a while.

Reply #353165 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Ouch...hope Samham recovers well. Love to see himplay in OZ, especially considering Simpson is in Adelaide...

Reply #353166 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:34 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754