Matt Ryan
Years ago

Basketball movies

After watching HOOSIERS on Sunday, it got me thinking (which is never a good sign).

What are some of your favourite basketball movies?

Hoosiers
Pistol
Blue Chips
Forget Paris
White Men Can't Jump

Topic #2772 | Report this topic

Degenerate  
Years ago

As a kid I loved SpaceJam and AirBud lol

Reply #31446 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

The Air Up There!! Awesome film
White Men Can't Jump
Space Jam - was kool

Reply #31448 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Above the Rim! Tupac

Heaven is a Playground - lots of early 90's players making cameos

White Men Can't Jump is the best. The King and The Duck!

Great 'Yo Mama' lines.

Reply #31449 | Report this post

Lloyd Braun  
Years ago

he got game

Reply #31450 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Along Came Polly :)

Reply #31451 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Michael Jordan's Playground
Magic Showtime
Awesome Endings
Untouchabulls

Reply #31452 | Report this post

Lloyd Braun  
Years ago

cable guy! lets see what youve got white shadow!!

Reply #31453 | Report this post

Years ago

yeah my favourites would have to be:
michael jordans playground
He got game
100 greatest plays
finding forrester

Reply #31456 | Report this post

Years ago

oops cant forget WHITE MAN CAN"T JUMP

Reply #31457 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the "fish that saved pittsburgh" you'll like that M.G.

Reply #31462 | Report this post

TommyJR  
Years ago

Undisputed king is 'Basketball Diaries' with Leonardo di Caprio and Marky Mark.

Maybe not a true hoops film but one of the greats nonetheless.

Go watch it!!

Reply #31467 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

White men cant jump- Larry vs Michael on the streets

Reply #31472 | Report this post

Dr Dunkenstein  
Years ago

along came polly, classic basketball cameo

Rainman

Reply #31476 | Report this post

balh  
Years ago

love and basketball

Reply #31486 | Report this post

Mix Master Wipe  
Years ago

A T.V. movie kinda based on Isiah Thomas's life story,cant remember its name though.
Fish that saved pittsburgh was a funny movie!

Reply #31488 | Report this post

M53M  
Years ago

The movie Mix Master Wipe is talking about is the Mary Thomas Story.
How about Hoop Dreams one hell of a documentary about Bball, was on the ABC about 11:30pm a month ago, you get to see Juwan Howard, Chris Webber, Jaleen Rose as high schoolers at a Nike Camp.

Reply #31489 | Report this post

Dr Dunkenstein  
Years ago

Rebound, i think it was called. A documentary about Earl 'the goat' Manigaut. He was a street baller, who had amazing hops, he was that-guy-who-grabbed-the-note-off-the-top-of-the-backboard. got messed up on drugs etc, might even be a true story.

Reply #31490 | Report this post

SHUTTLESWORTH  
Years ago

GOAT was the movie about Earl "the GOAT" Manigaut.
other Basketball movies
Blue chips
the sixth man
eddie
basketball diaries
love or basketball
celtic pride
hoop dreams
hoosiers
space jam
air bud
white men can't jump
but the best would have to be
He got game

Reply #31491 | Report this post

Blue Collar  
Years ago

Nice one Dr Dunksenstein. I LMAO everytime i watch 'Along Came Polly'. Let it rain, let it rain... DOIN THE RAIN DANCE! HAHAHA

White Men Can't Jump was a classic on many levels and Kevin Bacon blowing out his knee and still coming back to save the tribe and recruit the crazy african player was pure hollywood in The Air Up There.

The ALL TIME CLASSIC Basketball Movie though (and i can't believe no-one else has posted this) is...

TEEN WOLF.

End Discussion.

Reply #31497 | Report this post

Years ago

has anyone seen Coach Carter yet?

Reply #31499 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isn't it out tomorrow...? Or is it already out in the America?

Reply #31511 | Report this post

Years ago

oh dunno but im pretty keen to go watch it.....looks like a good one!

Reply #31513 | Report this post

statue of liberty  
Years ago

dunkenstein - is that a similar story to shawn kemp?

Reply #31517 | Report this post

D'Mac  
Years ago

eddie is one hell of a movie!
IVAN MAKE BASKET!

Reply #31522 | Report this post

Dr Dunkenstein  
Years ago

In rebound/Goat he grows up in the boroughs, playing at 'Rucker in NY' and gets sent off to finish high school. I think he gets a girl pregnant (its been a while since i saw it), and when he gets back to NY, he gets in with the wrong crowd and gets lost in a world of drugs for a number of years. He comes clean in the end, it is hollywood after all.

Doesn't Shawn Kemp discover Big Mac's, and put on 30 kgs in the off season?

There certainly are alot of Basketball movies out there, what is everyone's top five favourite?

Dr Dunkenstein's Top 5 Baller Movies

1. White Men Can't Jump
2. He Got Game
3. Rebound/Goat
4. Basketball Diaries
5. Air up There

Reply #31525 | Report this post

undersized pf  
Years ago

Rebound: The legend of Earl te Goat Manigault

Excellent movie, it is a true story. This guy is said to be one of the greatest ballers off all time. Played late 60's early 70's apparently played and carved up all the pros at the time in the street league's. 52 inch vertical leap.

Played high school ball went to college but leaft shortly after became drug addict then went to prison. Came out completly of drugs and dedicated his life to teaching young black ballers about drug prevention.

One of the best basketball movies ive seen.

Reply #31527 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

omg i swear 'white man can't jump' is the worst movie i have ever seen

Reply #31532 | Report this post

G-Funk-Era  
Years ago

Come on people what about ABOVE THE RIM that was a crazy movie my top 5 would have 2 be

1. White Men Cant Jump (Best B-Ball Movie ever)
2. Blue Chips
3. He Got Game
4. Above The Rim
5. Celtic Pride

Reply #31533 | Report this post

G-Funk-Era  
Years ago

What Anonymous how can u say White Men Cant Jump is the worst movie u have ever seen. Do u even like basketball or know what it is? Its a crazy movie full of old school hook shots, under the ring 360 layups and crazy fashion with a mad cast what more could you want out of a movie. How could you had Woodie stuffin it down at the end of the movie, makes me feel like there is still hope for me 1 day to do the same.

Reply #31534 | Report this post

G-Funk-Era  
Years ago

Sorry peoples got alittle worked up its "How could you hate Woodie stuffin it down at the end of the movie" not had, might go White man cant jump and relax.

Reply #31535 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

I can't believe only one person here, in over 30 posts, has even mentioned The Fish That Saved Pittsburgh.

People, get on board with the fish. If you haven't seen the movie, don't diss it - get a copy. It stars nearly NBA star known to man and follows the fortunes of the Pittsburgh Pythons through a mythical NBA season.

Northerner - give me my copy back!

For those who haven't heard of it, here's a link to a fan site (apologies - I posted this last week on a separate thread):

http://www.geocities.com/johnny_mongoose/pisces.html

Reply #31540 | Report this post

G-Funk-Era  
Years ago

Hey i dont think any1 mentioned "LIKE MIKE" it might be for younger views but damm its a cool movie. Only problem was the close ups of each star, I wanna see him ball not check him out.

Reminds me of space jam with all the close ups of jordan

Reply #31546 | Report this post

Dr Dunkenstein  
Years ago

Reply #31547 | Report this post

ITA  
Years ago

Celtic Pride!!! you are joking aren't you. I watched that last week, there is no real basketball in it at all, besides a few short clips of terrible ball clearly created by someone with no more idea than a goat. But enjoy it if you like it, jus was pissed that i sat through it.

Dunkenstein, my Dr, recall you talking bout he got game in previous post. still haven't seen it anywhere, can't remember where y'all said to find it. Have heard ot the GOAT, every1 says it's baller, any idea where 2 find it.

Personally i think most ball "movies" are poorly written, and the ball sceens are terrible, I'd rather watch those old school shows that used to be on sat mornings about 10 years ago, that showed real NBA ball showing the history of the Celtics, Lakers, Pistons etc in their day with the finals series (was that NBA action or something?), or the Jordan shit... playground etc etc, rather than some BS hollywood dream.

Also don't mind some and 1 mixtapes, ball above all etc, but the old school NBA wins.

But hey watch what you want... i just won't sit there wid y'all.

Reply #31548 | Report this post

G-Funk-Era  
Years ago

Yeah celtic pride wasnt one for showing basketball skills, i wonder if they did lay up drills for this movie or just went in solo? still its a pretty good cast, and it has a funny story line 2 it, id give it a 5/10 the 5 is purley for the storyline oh and that awsome ball handling.

Reply #31552 | Report this post

ITA  
Years ago

yeah sorry G-Funk, didn't mean to be harsh, just was expecting a bit more ball, you know, with a name like "celtic pride". I thought Bird was wasted with his 17 second appearance (didn't actually count it, but could have done more once they got him).

Reply #31558 | Report this post

G-Funk-Era  
Years ago

No offence taken i understand what you mean, when i 1st seen the movie i thought that same thing, but after watching it and realising what the storyline was about it still came up a pretty good movie. Good Ol Larry should of got a bit more of the spotlight but depends on how much he was gettin paid per minute.

Reply #31560 | Report this post

ITA  
Years ago

i hear that, i guess he was charging by the second!

Still a fan of the NBA history flicks with real ball.

Reply #31561 | Report this post

Years ago

what was the one about pistol petes life, going through high school and i remember a bit how he got darred to spin the ball on his finger for a long time....

Reply #31576 | Report this post

Manute Bol  
Years ago

I'll be featuring in a new basketball flick called "From the owl house to the penthouse".

The movie is about my life journey from when I practiced rejecting coconuts off the tree in Sudan to blocking Patrick Ewing at MSG.

Should be out in cinemas in about 5 months. I'll be at the premier which will be at Marion megaplex.

I'll keep you posted.

Reply #31581 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Candid photo from on the set -- Manute involved in the editing process.

Reply #31583 | Report this post

Manute Bol  
Years ago

Wouldn't you say that they were the most defined legs you've ever seen?

Reply #31584 | Report this post

Years ago

their some long F*****G legs!

Reply #31586 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My favourite bball movies are:

1. Like Mike
2. Coach Carter

lol..that is all ive seen..

just my thoughts

Reply #31601 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

oh yea n Space Jam awesome movie...go MJ!!

Reply #31602 | Report this post

Dr Dunkenstein  
Years ago

5 - you've jogged old memories, does anyone know that movie about Pistol pete Maverichk? During the movie he was bet $5 that he couldn't spin a basketball on his finger for an hour etc. Haven't seen that movie in over 10 years, can anyone help me out?...?

Reply #31607 | Report this post

Liam Flynn  
Years ago

I think the bandage on Manute's knee is to keep the bottom half of his leg from falling off!

Reply #31620 | Report this post

mp  
Years ago

What about the doco "Hoop dreams"?

follows 2 kids thru high school in an attempt to make the pros. Shows what really goes on during recruiting process etc. Highly Recommended.

Reply #31621 | Report this post

G-Funk-Era  
Years ago

hey has any1 see "jawanna man" the story about a guy that gets kicked banned from the nba so dresses up like a woman and plays in the wnba. Man this is a pretty funny movie, if u want a laugh this is the movie 4 u.

Artest should of tried sumthing like this.

Reply #31645 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

I liked Finding Forester and Above the Rim was impressive.

They should make a movie about Phili never going to get past the Pistons in the 1st round. lol - just for you G-Funk-Era

Reply #31647 | Report this post

russell coight  
Years ago

definitely teen wolf is in there.. shoot it fat boy! and also the basketball scenes from along polly.... old scholl pick'n'roll! i must also say that white men cant jump is also one of the greats, especially for its one liners, just because you put a cat in the oven that dont make it a biscuit,hmm. i must also add in the basketball scene from happy days, i will always remember the day richie cunningham missed those free throws.

Reply #31650 | Report this post

G-Funk-Era  
Years ago

AHAHAHAHA Russell Coight i remember that a few years back, watchin re-runs of Happy Days, damm that was a cool show.

Reply #31653 | Report this post

bobby  
Years ago

"Soul in the Hole" About Ed "Booger" Smith. I was in it but dont blink

Reply #31662 | Report this post

Baggy  
Years ago

One on One - An old Bobby Benson movie where he wins a scholarship to university. There's a bit of everthing in it but an insight into how college sports works (or did work) and how cutthroat it can be ?? Of course the good guy wins in the end.

Reply #31665 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if Along Came Polly can get a mention - Halle Berry's effort in CatWoman definately has to get in there! That gal could play!

Reply #31680 | Report this post

badger  
Years ago

Love and basketball definitely!! White men cant jump is also very good.

Reply #31688 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

MJ to the Max is in the regular rotation. The Pistol Pete movie mentioned by Dr Dunkenstien was gold, I can't remember its name.

Anyone watch One Tree Hill?

Reply #31704 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The pistol pete movie is call "pistol". In the movie it tell of how as a freshman in high school Pete Maravich gets his nickname. As the story goes the captain of the team didn't like him a bet him his spot on the team that he couldn't spin the ball on his finger for an hour. Aparently (true Story) he did. This is backed up in his drills videos. If any body has seen the pistol pete instructional video's they will see the quickest hands and ball skills going.

Reply #31708 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

What about Hoop Dreams. Ok, it maybe a documentary but it's a good watch of a couple of kids going through highschool and then college.

Has anyone seen 'one on one'??? It's an oldie (mid 70's), but it's pretty good.

Reply #31711 | Report this post

SKYHOOK  
Years ago

When is ONE TREE HILL back on Libertine ?... it was pretty cheesey but was good to see basketball as a main theme!

The women in it were ok too !

Reply #31714 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Space Jam was awesome 'Larry is not white, Larry is clear' LOL also the video on Magic Johnson and anything on MJ

Reply #31732 | Report this post

undersized pf  
Years ago

what about the "air up there" with kevin bacon, thats a classic

Reply #31735 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

!

One Tree Hill was canned by channel 10, but the wonders of cable internet and an obsessive best mate means that I have access....I've just started watching season 2 whereas he's halfway through it, and it's apparently going crazy!

Reply #31770 | Report this post

Bottles  
Years ago

LOve and basketball - love it

Reply #31807 | Report this post

g-mac  
Years ago

5 best b ball movies

1) white men cant jump
2) coach carter
3) basketball dairies
4) above the rim
5) he got game

Reply #35755 | Report this post

dirk rules  
Years ago

anyone heard of the movie thats just comin out:
glory road

i seen previews it looks preety good. coach carter was great.

Reply #35762 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Hoop Dreams" is the greatest basketball movie ever made. No arguement.

Reply #35777 | Report this post

mati  
Years ago

Reply #35784 | Report this post

schoolies  
Years ago

"air up there", i thought was cool and different

Reply #35837 | Report this post

Years ago

air up therre was sweet
he got game..JESUS
above the rim wit hpac (fav. singer)
blue chips...shaq, penny
white man cant jump..loves how they hustled
basketbal daires
love old school movies

Reply #41005 | Report this post

mikele  
Years ago

did anybody mention the 6th man couldnt b botherd reading forum but that movie is up their on my list

Reply #41327 | Report this post

vanexel31  
Years ago

there is a late 90's movie called sunset park which is ok. about an american high school team coached by a woman (rhea pearlman, or the fuzzy haired woman from cheers).

Reply #168979 | Report this post

glory days  
Years ago

COME ON PEOPLE WHAT ABOUT GLORY ROAD ONE HELL OF A MOVIE. REALLY A GOOD MOVIE TO TEACH YOU ABOUT TALENT.

Reply #169360 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

1. Rebound/ The Goat Story

2. Coach Carter

3. Air up there

Reply #182337 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Coach Carter
Hoosiers
White men can't jump
Basketball Diaries

And..

Gilligan's Island when the Harlem Globetrotters got marooned...

And not to forget the original Scooby Doo cartoons when the Globetrotters mdae guest appearances!

Reply #182342 | Report this post

Bigyaman  
Years ago

Sunset Park is my favorite basketball movie.
With Fredro Starr from the rap group Onyx and Terrence Howard

Reply #191999 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Love and basketball

Reply #195610 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:28 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754