Rebekah Holliday
Years ago

US imports walk out 2 weeks before season launch

BALLARAT Miners' two imports have walked out less than two weeks before the start of the South East Australian Basketball League season.

Ballarat Basketball Club chairman Nick Grylewicz and shattered head coach Guy Molloy dropped the bombshell this morning.

Read the full story from Ballarat in Australia:

http://www.thecourier.com.au/news/local/news/general/miners-imports-walk-out/2481774.aspx

Topic #27726 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Anderson cited homesickness and an inability to settle in to the Ballarat lifestyle and adjusting to how basketball is played in Australia, while Harden has decided to retire from professional basketball and seek a career in the winemaking industry.

Reply #353306 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Rumours are floating around that it was more than what has been writtern........strange that both walked out at the same time!

Reply #353310 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm not convinced that Molloy can actually coach.

Reply #353317 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That can't be right. Something must have happened for them both to leave at the same time.

Reply #353319 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://www.seabl.com.au/index.php?id=257&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=3831&tx_ttnews[backPid]=262&cHash=4940e16511

Reply #353323 | Report this post

fasts  
Years ago

Didn't want to play in the huge shadow of SOJ.

Reply #353324 | Report this post

Rebekah Holliday  
Years ago

@Tiger Watcher - what are the rumours?

Reply #353326 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

any relation to james?

Reply #353327 | Report this post

Rebekah Holliday  
Years ago

Anonymous, is that question directed at me?

Reply #353328 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

"We are an under-resourced Club relying heavily on volunteer contributions. It took an enormous amount of time, energy, and available resources to bring the players here"

If the above is true, why even consider importing not one but two American players when the roster spots could easily be filled by deserving, developing Aussie kids on the cheap?

Reply #353329 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^

Because they want to win!!

Reply #353335 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Those who are not convinced Molloy can coach, ask Goorjiian who was the driving force behind the Dragons title win.....

What a dumb thing to say, two imports who want to harden the f up and be a pro players instead of being " Home sick "

Come on !!!!

Reply #353339 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think Anon '335's response is fair. Adding imports to compete is pretty standard, as is putting in a lot of time to research and bring them across. The majority of each team is dedicated to local players.

If these imports want to be professionals (in this case, only the one of them!), they need to toughen up and see out their commitment. Many players would be dying for a chance to play the sport they love for money and travel overseas at the same time (even if it is to a regional club).

I'm always appreciative of those imports we get that either stay on to live (Brooks, Davis, Rose, Tucker, etc) and/or make the most of their time here by seeing the sights on their days off, and so on.

Reply #353344 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Never seen anything so unprofessional from imports. Both these guys played NBA D League this season but had limited minutes. Both had the potential to play NBL next season and came highly recommended from their agency Entersport. Lets hope Ballarat can now find some replacements quickly. And to the Anonymous posters saying Guy Molloy can't coach need to have a look at themselves. The bloke is a great coach!

Reply #353345 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

I wouldnt want to live in Ballarat either....I mean REALLY

Reply #353346 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Living in Ballarat is nearly as bad as living in Adelaide hey Skud ;)

Reply #353354 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

Nah mate Ive lived in 4 different cities around the world and happily choose Adelaide over all of them..Big city benefits without the disadvantages of to many people, great place and I would never consider Ballarat over it.

Reply #353366 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Totally unprofessional.

Reply #353369 | Report this post

Johnny  
Years ago

Whoever said any relation to James, no, Joe Harden is white

Reply #353378 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Got word tonight from a guy involved in another regional club saying the rest of the guys weren't very hospitable towards the imports. No dinner invitations or anything. All sounds a bit weird!

Reply #353379 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Im sure that coming from California and moving to Ballarat would be a fairly large culture shock the young fella's, but they would have ample amounts of tail to keep them company. Coming from someone who played in the SEABL in a regional town years ago, I think the boys are missing out on one hell of a life experience! It would really only be seven or eight months of their year.
Or maybe someone told them how cold Ballarat gets in the winter!

Reply #353382 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

rumours all related to a lack of "support" for the local players.....I believe they made life hard for the imports and it didn't help make the siutation work.

Also i think Molloy is one of the best development coaches of male bball players in the country, he is rated right alongside Marty Clarke.

Reply #353392 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:04 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754