Forcey
Years ago

36ers v Breakers

I'm expecting a better showing by the guys over our last 3 "battles" with the Breakers, but still think NZ will get up. They have so many options on offense that we'll need a super defensive effort to win.

Herbert, Creek and Ng will all need some minutes in this game and we'll need Helliwell to "use his fouls" also.

I'm tipping NZ by 8

Blog preview up now on my site

http://www.36reasons.net/2012/03/4th-time-lucky-nz-v-36ers-preview-10312.html

Topic #27733 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Breakers by as many as they like, its coming into Playoff time, first genuine opponent the 36ers have faced for a while, and the men will be seperated by the boys in this one. I hope it doesnt but can see it getting ugly very early.

Reply #353437 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Helliwell is not playing, he has a virus.

Reply #353491 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Is it the Andromeda Strain?

Reply #353492 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Aw , I might have a nite off going then , and Weigh's here to take his place. I just get bored.

Reply #353493 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Breakers for the W.
Expecting a big game from Abercrombie

Reply #353538 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Could this be the game that saves Clarke's job for next season?

If the Sixers win tonight against the top team and with the recent success of the team (yes back to back wins who would have ever thought that was possible), and with Clarke using the Ballinger + Crosswell injuries as a scapegoat for the poor season, I think the majority of Sixer fans (fans that have average bball understanding/knowledge) will forget all the bad things and feel he deserves one more season.

I want the team to win but hope that doesn't mean Clarke retains his job next season as I don't think two seasons of the worst Sixers record ever should allow you to continue on for the last season of their contract.

I think the win is possible as NZ pretty much have top spot sowed up and might come out complacent. On the other hand, with nothing to lose and with no pressure (which is why we have done well lately as well as an easy schedule) the Sixers could come out and get an upset.

I just hope it is a good game.

Reply #353567 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clarke will be coaching the 36ers in 2012/13.

Reply #353569 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Does anyone know who is playing the pre-game match? Thanks.

Reply #353570 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Under 12 boys Hills Hornets v Norwood

Reply #353573 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Breakers want the win for top spot, 36ers won a few games recently. Breakers will be at their top level and the 36ers are due for another loss, the stars are aligning for a 15-19 point win for New Zealand.

Reply #353575 | Report this post

Squid  
Years ago

The NBL live scores working about as well as the Dome's scoreboard! I am a gold ticket holder and have been for some years. Tonight we decided not to go, could not be bothered and knew what the result would be. That can't be a good sign for the club. I will not be renewing my tickets next year unless I can be guaranteed of at least some excitement, something totally lacking in the last few years.
Sixers and Redbacks very similar. Both are embarrassments to their respective competitions.

Reply #353622 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clarke has no chance of coaching this team next season, too many die hard fans have too long a memories, of his consitant faults.

Reply #353623 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Squid didn't the Redbacks win the one day comp?

Sixers played well for most of the game and were in the game however I felt NZ were only in second gear the whole game until the end when they just stepped up and finished off the game. NZ have way too much class compared to the Sixers. You could see the difference between the top team and 2nd to bottom team tonight.

Reply #353627 | Report this post

Igotmadskills  
Years ago

Ballinger and cross well were the only difference.

Give the guys credit they played bloody hard. NZ shot the lights out from 3 and without hitting 12 odd 3s at 50% some very lucky also the result may have been different. Nz also got away with a few travels and 3sec which we got pinned for so refs made some clear errors but were ok overall. Basketball is just too physical for my liking these days.

We were missing an experienced head tonight and a few silly turnovers etc cost us. NZ bring in briton and Boucher off the bench and have pledger as backup. That's a solid lineup so understand why they are top.

Good effort fellas, good game to watch even though we didn't get over the line. If they play like that each week with a bit of passion then I don't see why they won't win a few eventually with a full squad. They are a young team remember Nz are not.

Reply #353640 | Report this post

Squid  
Years ago

Well aware of that King James, but One Day stuff means nothing. We are judged on Shield performances and today was another example of how pathetic they are.
I am very glad I was not there to see the Sixers tonight. If the club think we are going to continue to put up with this rubbish then think again.

Reply #353641 | Report this post

Squid  
Years ago

Ballinger, does he still play with us?
Igo, your comments are commendable but they are not those which any good team would accept. We have had those sort of excuses for year now.

Reply #353644 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

"Ballinger and cross well were the only difference."

You must have watched a different game..I watched a NZ breakers team who were on cruise control just handle us exactly how they needed to without going to hard themselves.
Crosswell has been replaced with Bartlett who played pretty well tonight. Watching 2 of his missed layups he almost seems to put the ball up to hard, pitty since he beat the defence on the dribble. Something he will only improve with though.
Simpson and DJ both had good games, few mistakes by DJ with some poor shot selection was a bit disapointing otherwise a solid effort. Simpson could have had more points if he was given more minutes.
Creek played alot better than Weigh today, who once again padded his points late in the game to make it look like he contributed. Creek's defence is just better and justified him getting alot more minutes, he caused Abercrombie to have 2 quick fouls and a sit down..while Abercrombie scored on Weigh when ever he felt like it.
Herbert was another good defender today and should have stopped Ng from ever seeing the court, who is clearly a liability when playing teams who know how to defend..his shots tonight showed that he doesnt have the talent to be in a top team.
Warren showed once again he is able to get to the ring VERY easily and I still dont understand why he isnt driving much more regularly..perhaps his lack of leadership and communication on the courts holding him back from becoming a much higher contributor.

Clark made some stupid rotations tonight and didnt play the people who were performing at the time, but he was also able to realise Simpson and DJ both needed to be on the court for the final minutes...about time.

Umpiring tonight was pretty average, some soft touches got called and some big hits clearly missed as well as not being able to count to three for the first 2 quarters..

Overall it was a much better game to watch than last weeks even though we lost, shooting percentage was alot better and overall play was more exciting to watch.

Reply #353647 | Report this post

Bake  
Years ago

Bye Bye Squid won't see you next year. You're the kind of "supporter' we don't need.

Does it also mean we won't have to put up with your drivel on here?

Reply #353651 | Report this post

dave-blocknorth  
Years ago

I was under the impression that basketball in this country was besides being a good sport to watch, all about entertainment. It seems some only come to see their team win which is an important asset of buying a membership but remember, its about entertainment hence why no players salary is like that of an AFL player. Furthermore, if you feel that a being a member isnt worth it, then leave. No one is stopping you or your opinion from being validated.

However, when the team does start to gel and perform, be sure to be the first to claim bandwagon status to say you are a supporter but stop short of saying, "im a paid up member".

One thing to note on excitement value. If you arent excited about the 36ers or passionate to create your own excitement, then you arent a real basketball fan now are you?

Lastly, there are 9 teams in the competition so that means someone has to be 9th, someone 8th, someone 7th and so on. If you want to relive the days of 'excitement', buy the DVD they sell on game nights.

Dont get on here, whinge about how boring it is, and use a terminal excuse that the sixers and the redbacks are similar. Cos they arent! One creates 2 hours of music in an intimate environment, fun and the ability to get involved like the guy on blue did tonight to get the 5k shot that he didnt get. The other is a game played on a large scale oval where they cant hear you, you cant hear them and the crowds are sparse.

It just seems like someone needs a tissue!

Reply #353652 | Report this post

forcey  
Years ago

A good first half, over run in the 2nd. I'm surprised by the Clarke bashing in this game- I couldn't fault him. Simpson played his season high and Ng only got 10 minutes when it was clear it wasn't gonna be his night. He couldn't have done anything else, not as much on his bench to go to (even Jan Warbout was missing!) With this lineup you need to bring on Helliwell, Ng and Creek in the first quarter and he did all that.

NZ are elite and I came to the game 95% sure they would win it, and win it comfortably. I've done a review of the game on my blog, check it out

http://www.36reasons.net/2012/03/anything-you-can-do-breakers-v-36ers.html

Reply #353659 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

36ers only attempted six FT's for the game.

Reply #353668 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

DJ was near unstoppable in the first half

Reply #353671 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

The Breakers are a top notch team and have had the wood on the Sixers for a long time.

Their starting 5 is something special:
Jackson: Say no more. Where can the Sixers find one of those?
Corletto: Melbourne's Holmes equivalent
Abercrombie: Think of Creek in 5 years time
Vukona: Hardest nut going around
Wilkinson: Apart from DJ is about the only other centre who can shoot a 3. (35/90 38.9% this season)

Actually Vukona is a pussy, I've seen U10s harder than him. Hang on, there's a knock at the door. Hello Mika, aaaaaaaaaarrrrrgggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh

Reply #353681 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Hey Squid, its a pity you didn't go to the game because although the Sixers were over-matched by the Breakers, we played hard and had a good crack. We may not be winning as much as I would like, but this team is very young and there is hope for the future if we build around DJ and Creek. I much prefer what I am seeing now to what I was seeing a few years ago with the Dad's Army teams trotted out by Hemmerling year after year!

Although the Breakers always looked like they had that extra gear, I think there will be some sore bodies flying out of Adelaide today. In the past this team has tended to step aside and allow teams easy layups. Last night it was good to see them make the Breakers earn it the hard way.

Did anyone else think that three by Wilkinson to close the third quarter was actually a two? I didn't record the game, so couldn't go back to check, but could have sworn he was a good foot or two inside the arc.

The Breakers did a great job of grabbing easy points by attacking us before we could get our defence set. We need to get better as a team at getting back on D and the team needs a real floor leader who will make sure everyone knows what defensive set we are in. At the moment, too many players have brain fades and that split second they're out of position is all a good team like the Breakers needs.

Reply #353684 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

thought the same thing Bean but it was a 3.
I didn't realise it last night but between the closing of the 3rd and the opening of the 4th the Breakers hit 4 3's. That Wilkinson one was the first of the string which only stopped on an Abercrombie dunk.

Reply #353685 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Abo made Weigh look silly. He got whatever he wanted, whenever.

Reply #353689 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

A great start to the game , enjoyed that first half.
Went at it pretty well , against the top team.
Costly Weigh turnovers spoiled it , for me.
Otherwise , pretty good.

Reply #353695 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i'm a paid up member and will continue to be so through thick and thin, however, to those who say someone has to finish near the bottom of the ladder, sorry it shouldn't have been us. At the end of the day the main reason was poor coaching and unfortunately it appears we will have that problem again next year, but i'll still be there. My biggest fear is the possible fall outs from the coaching. there have been a number of people say we need to retain DJ and creek, will we??? Sorry forcey clark didn't coach well tonight, ng was on 8 mins too long. if he's not hitting shots (and tonight couldn't even hit the ring) he's a liability as his defence is terrible. when you have both him and warren on together it's even worse. I know DJ's defence could certainly improve but let's face it a lot of the problems are from our poor perimeter defence which is the guards. how often have we had teams hit a lot of 3s and who are generally the defenders that have allowed that - ng and warren. Creek is a good defender and will offensively take it to the opposition (as shown tonight) but everytime he does something good he's taken off. how does he develop further from that?? herbert is another good defender, but he sees stuff all time. both these guys are not intimidated. ng is. we definitely need to get the ball out of warren's hands at the point he's too slow and quite often makes poor decisions or bad passes. could keep going on, however, regardless i'll be there for the last game and i'll be here next year

Reply #353709 | Report this post

Remember Apollo  
Years ago

I find it hard to square all the "true supporters are supporters no matter what", with the "it's just a business, so if player x wants to chase the dollar good on him" comments. Really, with the fluidity of player rosters, where last years villain is this years hero, what are we actually barracking for? A name, the 36er's? I have been a fan since the earliest days, and a season ticket holder for most of the "Powerhouse/Dome/Arena" era, but I really have very little connection with this current team. It has become "just business". The players don't give a toss about us or the "team 36er's", many of them won't even be here next year, and to me this attitude shows both on and off the court. As such, if it is "just business" I want results if the organisation wants my money, and this team has not been producing them. A decade of poor results is enough, and things are getting worse rather than better. And to all those banging on about our "young team" developing, what makes you think any of them will be sticking around like players of the past did. Times have changed, for the worse as far as the sport is concerned if you ask me. If Clarke and co. are there next year count me out.

Reply #353720 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Sixers have one of the youngest teams in the league, and injuries to key players.

How is the performance suprising anyone?

Reply #353723 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It doesn't, I tipped them to finish 2nd to bottom again.

Reply #353726 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

'Remember Apollo', sure there is a lot of player movement these days, but that doesn't mean the Sixers should give up on acquiring and developing top young players. Did the Breakers say "oh no, its too hard to retain talent, lets not bother developing Abercrombie and Pledger"? No, they stuck with them, made sure they retained them when the time came and are now reaping the rewards.

So long as the Sixers do successfully retain DJ and Creek, then we too will benefit from their growing pains in time.

I also disagree with you that things are getting worse not better. I think the team has improved both offensively and defensively since the start of the season. Carfino said last night that the Sixers PPG against had dropped significantly over the last 5 games (think it might have been close to 10 ppg).

We have also unearthed in DJ a dominant scorer.

The problem we have is that DJ is THE ONLY DOMINANT player on this roster. What we need are another two guys who can be counted on to outplay their opponent most weeks. At least one of those HAS to be an elite guard, because right now our backcourt is pretty much the worst in the league.

If we want to retain our elite young talent (DJ and Creek) and find the money to bring in two elite players to give us a starting five that can truly compete, the last thing we can afford to do is sack Marty and pay both him AND another coach next season.

I think we are better off giving the coach his final year and spending the money on better players to surround DJ. Good players make a much greater difference to results than perfect substitution patterns or the odd play drawn up out of a time out.

Reply #353734 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

Beantown I think Simpson could become as dominant if not more than DJ..DJ can shoot ALOT better and will always have that over Simpson, but DJ is soft as shit compared to Simson under the ring.
If our PG's, this is something Bartlett deffinetly needs to learn to do, feed Simpson the ball not when they have nothing else to pass to but when he is asking for it Im convinced he will score ALOT more. In every game he has had mismatches go completely unnoticed or the PG's just choose not to pass it to him. At one point he had Jackson defending him 2ft from the ring and Ng passed the ball out to the top of the key, Ng was 5ft from Simpson.
I cant comprehend how Clark hasnt noticed just how often our PG's and Weigh (He does this ALOT) fail to pass it inside the key for an easy basket..then throw it in with 5 seconds left to go when (Yes DJ as well) are now dble teamed.

Reply #353747 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Skud, I like Simpson too and would be happy to keep him next season, depending on what happens with the PG situation and Balls. BUT, I think Simpson is far more limited than DJ. He simply doesn't have the quickness, hops, mobility, stamina or shooting that DJ has.

Sure Simpson is a better defensive player, but in the end, I believe it is easier to take a great offensive player and teach them to play D than it is to do the reverse.

I wish our guards would do a better job of feeding our big men too, but the fact is, they just aren't that good!

I mean, I like what I have seen of Bartlett, but lets remember that he's a rookie who has barely played half a season! And we're basically happy with him starting and playing big minutes? Says it all about how bad our backcourt is, doesn't it!

I just hope Sixers ownership have enough money to keep players like DJ and Creek and can add a couple of elite players next season. If they don't we aren't going to get anywhere anytime soon.

Reply #353753 | Report this post

Remember Apollo  
Years ago

Beantown, I agree with a lot of what you have to say. However, when you say things are getting better, it does not show on the ladder. No point showing "improvement" over the course of a season, but still having a win-loss record that puts us at the door of the bomb shelter. This is especially true if there is a large turnover of players post season, as we can probably expect in a team that has preformed so poorly and is looking for answers. As such what have we gained from this "improvement" over the season (did we gain anything from last season that helped us this season)? More likely we will have a significantly different roster next year. And be faced with the infamous "gelling period" syndrome again. I might be pessimistic and a bit cynical, but I have come to believe that modern basketball demands that you put a winning roster together season by season. Sure, you want to try and develop and retain young talent like Johnson and Creek if you can, but if you think as a coach or club that is a strategy for success I disagree. If your young talent blossoms then they become targets for poaching, and even if you can retain them, this outside interest will force you to pay so much for them that you might as well be poaching outside talent yourself. Virtually no one of great talent in this age of professionalism is sticking around for less out of loyalty for their development. The teams of recent sucess that are mentioned as examples of having developed talent are in my opinion teams that put together great rosters that would have been winners with or without the one or two "developed" players in that team. On the basis of the last decade, what have we developed that is locked in and will be of long or even short term benefit, and how confident is anyone that this coach and club can put together a championship roster for next season, the end of the 3 year plan.

Reply #353754 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Remember Apollo

Good teams copy the best teams. Both Perth and NZ have put together great rosters built up out of players mostly home grown and, or, retained. The Sixers can't afford to keep blowing up teams each season and starting again from scratch. We need to keep the young core of this team together for 3+ years to reap the benefits of a good strategy of attracting young talent which was missing from the Sixers for nearly 10 years.

Reply #353757 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

do coaches need a pat on the back for bringing this young talent here?

Reply #353767 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What young talent?

Are we talking about DJ?

Creek potentially fits in this category but he's a long, long way away from being a match winner.

Reading some of these posts you would think we have a nucleus of like 5 young future Boomers.

Reply #353769 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

A majority here have Johnson playen for us next season ^ , when he doesn't know that himself.
Caused a little bitta excitement , out there , the way he played.
Simpson , who at 24years ( his mum looks younger than that) was great , but we don't know if he's coming back.
Warren unlikely . Creek may be interested in a new NBL team , a second team from Melbourne..
Anyways , whatta we got 6 playing here in their first season , and it might be that agen.
We know that Weigh doesn't pass inside ^ , for 30minutes a game. Like Holmes , he'd be better at another team , where he has to earn his minutes....

Reply #353793 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Apollo, I agree that finishing one spot off the bottom is a concern. In an ideal world, Clarke would have made greater strides with his personnel this season. But it is what it is and we have to hope the club is able to build on the positives and learn from what didn't work the past two seasons.

There is no doubt that we could lose DJ and Creek. If that keeps happening then we may as well give up, because if we can't afford to do that, how can we possibly afford to buy in a team of stars to flip the switch and take us straight to a grand final?

To me, its not about keeping together 80% of the roster year after year either. You only have to hang on to those elite 'difference makers' when you find them. The rest of the guys are interchangeable and should be brought in to feed off the strengths of your core players.

The one great thing about this season is we now know DJ is the real deal. Prior to this season, I can't remember the last time the Sixers had a young player I truly believed could dominate the league.

So the way I see it, you take DJ and try to turn up at least one other elite piece next season. If you can find two, then I think all of a sudden this team will go from the bomb shelter to the playoffs, regardless of the coach.

That's why I said sometime back that if we had picked up a guard at the level of Gary Ervin instead of Warren, we'd probably be playoff bound. The Hawks last season with Ervin, were actually a top 3 team. When he got injured they lost a bunch of games, which took them out of contention. Look at them this year. Still the same core, proven players in Sav, Oscar, Soup, Davidson, etc. Propping up the ladder all season. Those guys, good as they are, can't create their own shot without a difference maker like Ervin to draw the D and set them up.

Likewise, Cairns really aren't a great team, but they win enough games because they have a top notch guard in Wilson and two pretty good bigs in Crosswhite and Loughton. If they get a crap import guard next season, watch them free fall too.

Reply #353800 | Report this post

Sixersfan  
Years ago

We need a top pass first guard simple.

Warren needs to go, can score and can drive but more often doesnt. Is a liability on D. Seems to have a bad attitude and doesnt seem to gel with any other players except Simpson. SOMEONE in the mould of DMAC or Rucker of the old days.

We need to SIGN Creek, DJ, Simpson and sign Ballinger for at least $40-60K less than his current contract. To allow us to pay bigger $$ for free agents and import. Coaches need to spend time with Simpson on his fitness and free throw shooting though, imagine what he would be doing if he was stronger fitter and faster and hitting 2-3 more free throws per game.

Weigh I'm still up in the air about, If we signed a player like ingles or Newley sign Creek as a backup not Weigh.

Think its time to go for players like Ng is too much of liability is the best shooter in the league but needs to be open to create his shot.

I like the way Helliwell has came into the game the last few rounds, personally think if he has a low $$ contract could be good for us as the backup he currently is. Has plenty of experience and is that big body we need when Dj gets pushed around.

Reply #353802 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Basically agree with the guys you are looking to keep Sixersfan, but how would you prioritise signings?

Don't forget Weigh and I think Crosswell and maybe Creek are signed for next season already (can't remember for sure who, but I know its three players).

Reply #353806 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Two (2) players are already signed . Weigh and Crosswell. I mentioned Weigh 'cause we're stuck with that style of game for 30minutes regardless.
Bartlett Herbert Ng - may not be here.
Helliwell knocked a few over , and there was loud applause for a good steal in the first. So I figure it's only a few Helliwell haters on here , rather than a majority fans.
Still, we gotta wait til free agency , about 2 weeks after finals to know what Johnson is doing.

Reply #353808 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

Helliwell's steal was awkward looking but geez it was good to see, say what you want about him he does try.
I am still convinced Helliwell cannot play against smaller players or is worried about being called for fouling. Against Pledger he was strong and wouldnt let him in but as soon as Wilkinson came at him..he almost stepped out of the way. He is also been hindered by our lack of passing into the big guys at the right time.

Reply #353813 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crosswell is the only player under contract for next season but Weigh does have an option he could exercise.

Reply #353814 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

That's interesting , and thanks.
Seems we're gonna review everything at the end of the season , coaches and players , and Weigh will want Clarke , but there's a chance they may not be here, then.. and , that'll freshen things up out there
maybe for Creek and others.

Reply #353816 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not that I care if Creek goes anyway but there would be some sort of chance the 2nd Melbourne team is able to lure him back to Victoria if not maybe even a Tigers team next season as the current one looks a lock to be blown up.

The only two players I think we have to re-sign for next season are DJ & Balls. I'd rather Schensch than DJ but I doubt he's going to opt out of his contract at the Crocs in a good programme to come back to what is now a basket case in Adelaide.

Reply #353830 | Report this post

forcey  
Years ago

It's hard to comment at this stage on next years roster as I've been unable to locate NBL contracts for current season and next years free agents. Does anyone know a link?

From what I know Weigh and Crosswell are contracted. So there's your backup PG and starting SF. If we keep Johnson and Simpson I'm not convinced this frontcourt works based on this year (especially on D) but I'd imagine getting another preseason into DJ, a healthy Weigh and a fit Simpson would be at least a 25% upgrade on this season.

If we keep our starting frontcourt I'd bring in a new pass-first point with some size and a solid defensive game.

Shooting guard needs some work. I don't think Creek is ready quite yet and needs another season off the bench. He needs to become a valuable 6th man (think Cattalini in Perth) and force the issue before he gets a starting role. Ideally we could bring back a Newley/Ingles type. If we could do this I'd be happy to have a bench like below

Ng
Helliwell or another "banger"
Herbert or Creek

Plus 2 of these guys struggling for PT in other programs

Martin Iti
Ben Allen
Matt Burston
Jason Cadee
Alex Pledger

Reply #353873 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forcey, Weigh has an option for next season. He could opt out of it and become a free agent if he wants.

Technically, Crosswell is the only player definitely under contract for next season although you'd think Weigh will pick up his option after the season he has had.

The rest are free agents.

Martin Iti
Ben Allen
Matt Burston
Jason Cadee
Alex Pledger

Iti's garbage, Allen isn't much better, Burston is always injured so too risky, talk of Cadee going to Sydney if the Kings re-appoint Heal and Pledger would either remain in NZ or command too much for us. The Breakers view him as their centre of the future once Wilkinson leaves which could be at the end of this season.

Reply #353880 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Pledger is getting a Contract upgrade at the end of this season ($ and Minutes) and they are working out if we can retain Wilkinson also. The Pledgehammer isn't leaving Atlas Place anytime soon unless it's Europe or the States.

Reply #353902 | Report this post

Squid  
Years ago

Thanks for your comment Bake. But it changes nothing. The club needs supporters, even like me believe it or not, in order to survive.
Unless things change significantly, then expect the same next season. Whilst people did say to me that we "tried" much more on Saturday night, one has to ask the question as to where that effort has been all year. Not sure how much longer the die hard supporters think is appropriate while we build our side, but personally I think we have had long enough. I certainly don't want us to be another Richmond Football Club who have been rebuilding since the early 80s!
DJ is in my opinion the most improved player in the league, but I have serious doubts he will be part of the side next season sadly.

Reply #353957 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I go to training some of the time , not all of the time. There's the smell of mothballs , out there. There are those , like Matt Mcquade and others , that had Ballinger starting at Centre for our first game in Perth, when I saw that he was unable. Seems Johnson started at Centre and won POTW
I'm about as confident that DJ will be here as I was about Ballinger starting , first game back, then.
I feel pretty good , but that ain't sayen much.
I could feel a whole lot better , ...
if Weigh goes to free agency.
Things will be fresh , out there.

Reply #353973 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Everyone knew Ballinger was going to miss the first 4-5 games of the season due to his unavailability in the preseason.

Reply #353984 | Report this post

Bake  
Years ago

Squid, my dictionary describes a supporter as one who supoerts a sporting team especially by attending matches to shout encouragement. I consider that I fulfill this criteria in that I have been a season ticket holder since 1985 and have missed about 10 home games in that time. I will continue to do this in the future. Unfortunately if you do decide to opt out you do not.

I seriously considered withdrawing my support when Scott Ninnis was given the Head Coach position because I didn't think he had what it took to be successfull. Sadly I was proven right and the Sixers are still paying for it to a degree.

Marty Clark's game day performance has improved in the past few weeks and hopefully he will continue to improve in what could be his last year as coach. We tend to forget that we have a very young side especially after Balls and Crosswell went down. Even our imports are relatively inexperienced compared to those we have had in the past. I think that the nucleus of the side including DJ will remain and we will have a strong base from which to launch next season.

I guess I will be like those sad Richmond and St Kilda supporters and keep following the team in the hope that the glory days will return. When they do I will proudly feel I have had a part of in it.

Reply #353989 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

EVERY body no - h.o.s.e .. that Johnson's playing here , next season
and knew Ballinger wasn't a starter , this season.

Reply #354003 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:22 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754