natwhereyouat
Years ago

Gordie.. Has he lost it?

I'd like to hear peoples thoughts on Gordie this year..

Mainly him refusing to play Davidson last night even though he was on fire, instead during crunch time deciding to go with Martin, Demos, Timmy etc.
Or his theory of that Martin can fight through any game he plays, no matter how terrible he is that night.

Topic #27738 | Report this topic

dude  
Years ago

I used to think he was a good coach - but not this year. Continually starting both Saville and Campbell was stupid.

Last night Davidson was killing it and gets 25 minutes. Ubaka was sitting in an important time in the game...why? Catron just gets 4 minutes (2 steals in that time).

Yet guys who stank it up get good minutes....

Reply #353520 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Wow you've all replaced 'Marty' with 'Gordie'!!

Reply #353523 | Report this post

new in town  
Years ago

If only that were true

Reply #353525 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Not sure that the Davidson call condemns him as a coach. The box score suggests Davidson, while scoring freely for the Hawks, was not able to stop Grant scoring just as freely at the other end. Meanwhile the Kings hit 10/14 from outside. What should the coach do to combat that? I assume he was trying to counter what Sydney had on the floor?

More generally, the Saville and Campbell as starters, plus waiting so long to pull the trigger on Glover are the things that raised the most doubt in my mind. The Glover situation can be rationalised when the team finances and Ubaka's sudden availability are factored in. I still don;t get the Saville/Campbell thing, though.

But, beyond those things, given the quality of their imports, relative to last season, I couldn't see them being higher than 6th this season, even playing Saville and Campbell less. I think Gordie is suffering from having delivered way higher than his roster suggested was possible, in past years. I think about this in the same way I think about the results when Beveridge moved from a financially and talent limited program at West Sydney to a stronger program at Perth.

Reply #353544 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Yep, Sav & Campbell are town favorites with the latter saving the club through his efforts. Gordie would have to offer them bench spots next season one would think! Getting 2 good imports from the start will also help...

Reply #353547 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't see the point in gruber and catron for only 3 mins in a game
hardly the time to get into the game

on the other hand I thought Heals rotation was solid

also i noticed Ratz was missing from sydney

has he been let go?

Reply #353548 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

I also no Ratsczh for Sydney. I think he may have been asked to pack his bags early as he wasn't on the injury report.

Reply #353549 | Report this post

Vodka 81  
Years ago

Hawks 123 Hawks during the timeouts.
Gordie has over achieved the past two seasons and this year with average imports and Australians has had clearly the worst roster in the league.
I'd say Campbell and/or Saville will be off the bench next year and will take a paycut.

Reply #353556 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

I dont think he has lost it..but I really dont understand his rotations in the last two games..Leavng Davidson on the bench as well as Ubake...at a time when both commentators were amazed themselves really didnt make any sense. He also left Davidson off during the end of the 36ers game when he was dominating DJ.
Maybe he is looking to next year to see just how much some of his players have left??

Reply #353560 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There have been a few things this season and a little bit last season that have had me questioning his smarts however in saying that I really hope the 36ers management talk to him in the offseason to try and lure him to the 36ers.

He's one of the better coaches in the NBL and a far better coach than Clarke.

Reply #353565 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

He wants to finish last to get the no. 1 pick in the draft. He's tanking people!!

Reply #353577 | Report this post

True  
Years ago

I have to agree.. Gordie has LOST IT! Davison was having a career night and gordie benched him when clearly the hawks lacked scoring. Then he persisted with playing Martin who has lost all confidence and left Ubaka on the bench for no apparent reason.

If the Hawks are serious about regaining some respect
within the NBL and Wollogong community they need to replace gordie.. His coaching looked very stale, lacked direction and motivation. You can only assume from the players body language this season they feel its time for a change.

As far as replacing Marty Clark as this season worst coach. No! Marty just doesnt know how coach at NBL level and coach MEN! Gordie has lost touch with todays players and their style.

True

Reply #353582 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

True - I'm a bit surprised that he's lost the players as he coached all but the imports last year and all but Demos and the imports the year before.

With respect to the Hawks lacking scoring, the problem seemed to be more that the Kings were scoring too much. On that note, the Hawks scored 7 points above their season average last night but let the Kings score 10 more than their average - without Khazzouh. Without having seen the game, I didn't get to see how it unfolded, so the stats may not tell the full story. Nonetheless, they suggest to me that the Hawks would not have won if Davidson played more minutes. I doubt whether the gap would have been closer, either, given where the Kings' points came from.

Reply #353619 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

I dont think he has lost the players at all..I do still think his team is playing better than they are really capable.
Ervin clearly gave alot more to this team by making them all play better last seaon.

Reply #353649 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:34 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754