Falcon
Years ago

BigV Tournament

Any news coming out of the long weekend after the BigV tournament?

Any particular players/teams really impress?

I personally think that Bridget Ardossi playing Div 1 women is ridiculous, great for a club like Altona(if they are willing to step up to Championship Women the following year) but she just completely dominated the games she was involved in. Cannot seeing any other team beating the Gators this year.

Also, there were a lot of forfeits in the finals on the Monday... This is such a shame but you can't blame the teams which did forfeit as the season is less than a week away! Do they need to push back the start of the season a week so the tournament can have higher participation levels and proper finals?

Topic #27761 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Falcon, your comment on Monday forfeits is spot on - this just completely destroys the credibility of the event as a "tournament" - many teams just treat their pool games as practice games then don't come Monday.

So really, what's the point of the tournament - just organise practice games for interested teams at local stadiums and everyone would be happy.

Which brings me to the second point - MSAC is a ridiculous venue for this event at this time of year - parking is hard enough at the best of times, for this weekend it is next to impossible to get in and out of the place due to Grand Prix setup. MSAC should not be used for large events the weekend before the Grand Prix.

So back to previous comment - run organised practice games at local venues so you can get home between games and everyone would be happy.

Reply #353923 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

I agree...a number of the Champ teams don't even turn up as it is so close to the season. It really has become a tourney for the D1/D2 Teams and even then they aren't interested in paying on the monday as they have to train on the tuesday to prepare for round 1, really becoming a wasted weekend. (I old Frankston Tourney was better set up!)

I think as a whole the Tourney is great but they need to have it run at least two weeks prior to the season starting and not at MSAC!!! The GP works are on and little to no parking is avaible and a number of roads are closed.

Why not try and run it in Feb as a round robin with no finals and each team plays 2 games each day

Reply #353935 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tiger Watcher - a number of the Champ teams ? How about most, I think there were three teams in Men's Champ ?!

And the women's Champ division had the two Under 18 State teams as entrants ...

Great for them to get the games in preparation for U18 nationals, but again the reality is these are practice games, they are not preparation for the season against opponents from your competition.

Anyone at Big V listening ???? .....

Reply #353939 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Particularly hilarious was an opinion piece on their site last week remonstrating clubs not showing at the tourney. Yet the author's club, who he coaches for, had a team not show for finals......

Reply #353943 | Report this post

Falcon  
Years ago

MSAC is incredibly hard to get a park at.

General concensus here is that the Tournament is a great idea but needs better timing and a better location is required.

Hopefully somebody at BigV HQ can take this into account.

Can anybody tell me much about the teams?

Who did Bulleen SCW have? I hardly recognised any of their players... A couple from last season and Lauren Pearce is still there but can't recognise anybody else.

Reply #353944 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let's have a run down on this tournament

- 1 week before season starts
- 2 or 3 games per DAY
- Most teams have already played many practice games by this stage and if they haven't they're pretty much screwed by the time the season comes anyway.

Any team with older bodies would be completely moronic to enter a tournament such a this so close to the start of the season, especially when the only thing you win is bragging rights.

Most championship teams don't even have their full roster at this point - Waverley men were missing 5 players?

Reply #353947 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Falcon, Boomers SCW have a few back from last season (including Lauren Pearce), three stepping up from Youth League, plus a few newbies to complete the team.

In reality, not going to be that competitive in 2012, but looks to be about building for the future.

To support that theory, Youth League team is chock full of Bulleen juniors - with a healthy stream coming through from VJBL over the next few years.

Pity there aren't other fringe WNBL players that come back and play Big V ... but I guess even the fringe players still go off and try to play SEABL.

Reply #353955 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

I know you guys reckon the timing is all wrong, but they still get significant numbers don't they? What keeps the teams coming?

Reply #353958 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Really, it just needs to be a week or two earlier and then it would be embraced. But it's not for all the reasons listed above.

Reply #353961 | Report this post

Falcon  
Years ago

The numbers are mainly thanks to the Youth League/D-League teams competing in the tournament. In the Championship Division there is hardly any teams and Div1 and Div2 there certainly isn't as many as there could be had the timing been better.

Reply #353964 | Report this post

Boomer  
Years ago

Plenty of teams entered the tournament in the youth and division leagues. Only 3 and 4 in the men and women State Championship comp.
Tournament organisers told me it is held the week before Rd 1 so the Big V can fit a 18 round season on the calendar.
Teams had the option of saying they were unavailable for finals on the Monday and it is unfortunate that the teams who did not show up had said previously they were available.

Reply #353982 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They could hold it a week earlier as a two day tournament. Three 4 X 8min games on the Saturday or Sunday morning then semis and finals on Sunday afternoon.

Reply #353987 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Push the season a week further into the year would have been a good start, give teams 2 weeks to get over the weekend. There is no logical reason why the season cant finish a week later than it already does.

As for the Venue? There are other options readily avaliable including spreading it over a few venues, i.e each Div held at a seperate venue.

Reply #353988 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

I get them wanting to hold it all at one venue, it used to e held at Frankston, then that overflowed to Langwarrin.

I don't get any tournament where you give teams the option to tell you they won't be playing finals. That is poor.

Sounds to me like the clubs need to collectively tell the league what they want from the tournament rather than the league giving options.

Reply #354044 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Talking to a SCM Big V coach last night he mentioned that teams in his Division don't really want to play the Tourney as more than 2 games in a weekend at that level and with the bigger bodies can take a week to recover from and being so close to the season you can't afford guys to be sore and miss session in the week before round 1

Reply #354050 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Definitely agree that the tournament needs to be held around 3 weeks before the season starts. Not only giving the 'older' bodies a chance to recover, but to give coaches a chance, and enough practice sessions, to make adjustments to things that are highlighted from the games before the season starts.

1 week isn't enough considering you wouldn't be able to go too hard on the Tuesday, especially if your season starts with a double header.

Reply #354066 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So I took the bait from HO and went to have a read of the "opinion piece" on the Big V Web site.

And I have to agree that the article is somewhat amusing on a couple of fronts ... not only the point already made about the author's finger wagging ... but really, the whole PR thing seems out of whack with reality.

It's called the "Big V tournament" - but as had already been mentioned a number of state teams take the opportunity to play some games.

And what has not been mentioned is that particularly in the Youth divisions, many SEABL clubs enter their D league team.

Personally, my child plays in a Youth League team and of the four pool games, two were against Big V teams and two were against D league teams.

This is not a problem as such, except to point out that this is not a Big V tournament - it's a tournament organised by Big V in which various teams are invited to enter.

Along with the issue of the "don't come Monday" teams, this seems to further emphasise the point that this is really organised practice games, so in this format you can't really admonish any team that chooses not to participate.

Reply #354074 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Re SEABL D league teams ... I should have added that including D league teams may well be a stepping stone to the integration of Youth League and D league ... is that still happening ... 2013 perhaps ?

Reply #354083 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To correct a point here technically there is no such thing as SEABL D league anymore, there is BigV Youth League and Basketball Victoria D League... Puzzling and confusing isnt it.

Reply #354167 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:29 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754