forcey
Years ago

36ers spotlight: Stephen Weigh

The second of my "Player Spotlight's" is up. This week it's Stephen Weigh.

He's copped a lot of flack from 36er fans (especially on these forums) but when you look at some facts in the cold light of day he's doing ok.

My blog compares some his numbers to Cattalini's, to whom obvious comparisons can be drawn (moved here from Perth for more opportunities, 3 men who can shoot the 3 and work inside etc)

Considering he's playing injured and is often the 4th option on offense, he's doing alright. Obviously in the offseason he needs to work hardest on his shooting, developing some post moves and his passing (mainly those passes into the 7th row)

Full blog here

http://www.36reasons.net/2012/03/player-spotlight-stephen-weigh.html

Topic #27764 | Report this topic

Big Marty  
Years ago

Valid post there Forcey.

The biggest difference is that Cattalini was brought in to rebuild a team but wasn't advertised as the "solution" to the team; considering when Cat started, he played behind the likes of Trimmingham, Brunson, Rillie, Maher, Davis, Mee, Brooks etc. etc.

Weigh's biggest issue isn't the "performance" when you compare it to stats, but the "not as advertised" label he has. I remember Weigh getting most of the hype as this golden child to turn the club around.

I think had he just been brought in as "some guy with talent" and the spotlight was forced on Simpson, Warren, Ballinger as expected; then things would be looked upon better.

Your comparisons are very good; Weigh has unfortunately copped the "Wrong place, Wrong Time" attacks.

Reply #353976 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I remember a lot of people losing their heads at the time of the Weigh signing, he's a gun, future Boomer etc I said then he's just an upgrade on Brad Hill nothing more.

Reply #353983 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

500% on brad hill

Reply #353993 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

A very solid pre-season certainly buoyed fans hopes for the regular season.

I hope he stays as I expect an off-season in Adelaide will help him in a similar manner it helped Johnson feel more comfortable and hopefully help improve his performances next season.

Reply #353997 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Clarke confused me , telling us 'Stevie' is the player to drag fans thru the door. Later , re his 32minutes a game : ' He can guard a lotta positions and ya gotta give the young ones a go. '
Seems he rests his foot during the week so he can play
Was Weigh an experiment that didn't work ? Was he pulling our collective legs ?
I still place Weigh among my least favorite sixer.
Like when I was at school , I considered the teacher's pet a phony , just a spoiled kid , and someone I didn't have much in common with.

Reply #354016 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hope he doesn't read this forum, he be out of here!!

Reply #354017 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I like where you are going with this Forcey, but you are only looking at pure ppg numbers in catt v weigh.

You need to take into account shooting percentages, points per possesion and minutes per game, etc etc.

I think you will find young Catt stacked up much better than current Weigh.

Reply #354019 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Camel you are a wanker!!

Reply #354022 | Report this post

forcey  
Years ago

True, anonymous 354019, he is starting and consequently getting more minutes but he's also played most of his first year at his new club injured and his %'s are lower because he's taking more threes than Cat did at that point of his career

I'm not saying he's Cat 2.0 because he's got a long way to go 9plus cat is in my top 5 36ers ever) but the similarities are interesting. The potential is there.

I was hard on Weigh early on these forums and my blog because I felt he played too many long stretches, especially when he was contributing little and Creek was getting no chances. Creek's stats compared over 40 minutes stacked up very well against Weigh's and I felt Clarke made mistakes playing them together when i thought they should have been splitting the SF minutes.

Will be interesting to see how our frontcourt looks for next year but I'm expecting a lift from Weigh in 2012-2013 (assuming he stays).

Reply #354027 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

He needs to change his player photo..it has to be the worst I have ever seen!!!

Better coach who knows how well he could play

Reply #354040 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

he's a role player that's been hyped up as a superstar, he's still learning the game and it will take a few more years.

Reply #354054 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Shouldn't be in the top few for minutes per game. He is overplayed by Clark despite repeated turnovers and poor plays. I don't think he should have any more than 25 minutes per game and give the extra minutes to Creek.

Reply #354057 | Report this post

TL47  
Years ago

Anon. You hope he doesn't read this forum because "he be outta here"? His signed for next season and there is no "protected species" on forums I'm afraid!

Reply #354065 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:54 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754