David
Years ago

Should Knicks part with Carmello Anthony?

Have you ever heard the saying be careful what you wish for? Well that's Carmello Anthony forcing a trade to the Knicks. Anthony is not happy with the Knicks and the Knicks are not happy with him.

Anthony comes off as a punk in this article. It suggests a couple things.

- Wants Mark D'Antoni fired
- Wants more input from Management into decisions
- Has privately said he wants a trade
- Is not very popular with teammates. It's actually said in the article that even Amar'e Stoudamire who lobbied for Anthony are not as great friends as the what was first believed.

Personally Mike D'andoni is a great coach and the Knicks were winning until Carmello Anthony returned to the team and have lost 8 out of 10. Maybe an Anthony trade would be best for both parties?

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knicks/source_anthony_at_odds_with_antoni_YjNqpRkBHjhTuavBXv5IhJ

Topic #27781 | Report this topic

yo  
Years ago

Melo's agent has called the article "laughable" and has categorically denied melo ever mentioning wanting a trade.

I side with melo.

Reply #354228 | Report this post

MikefromtheK  
Years ago

"Melo's agent has called the article "laughable" and has categorically denied melo ever mentioning wanting a trade".
What else would you expect his agent to say?

But yeh I'm guessing Melo is quietly thinking that he wished he would've stayed in Denver.

Reply #354229 | Report this post

aussie  
Years ago

they should trade melo but they won't even though he's a terrible fit. It would be funny after requesting a year ago for a trade to NYK if he got sent packing

Reply #354232 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Breaking news this morning that Mike D'Antoni has stepped down as coach.

Perhaps Knicks could offer Magic Melo & Chandler for Howard?

Reply #354237 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

Useless coach gone - YESSS!!!! Now get rid of Toxic Melo, and the Knicks might start winning again.

Depends on how much say the owner has in coaching decisions, I suppose. Maybe D'Antoni was under orders to play Melo even when he knew that would hurt team chemistry.

Reply #354238 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NO! they should get rid of Jeremy Lin!

The NBA have figured him out already

Reply #354259 | Report this post

David  
Years ago

I don't think this is a good thing. Its another case where the coach gets scapegoated even though the problem is clearly with the player. Sure A'toni resigned but he would of likely been fired and all because of a pouting superstar.

Doug collins - michael jordan
Jim O'brien - Chris Webber
Brian Hill - Anfernee Hardaway
Phil Jackson - Kobe Bryant
Mike a'ntoni - Carmello Anthony

Reply #354261 | Report this post

hustle  
Years ago

I was nearly going to start a new thread about the Knicks but thought I would add here.

I find it remarkable that in the space of a few weeks, the Knicks go from being Americas sweetheart to the whipping boy.

We all witnessed the Knicks creating great buzz, Lin was on fire, crowds and the net were alight from the daily highlights. The Knicks playing fun contagious basketball for their fans and eachother.

Then Melo returns from injury, they lose 8/10, and sack the coach. The coach can still coach, the other 11 guys can still play, there cant be any other reason for the huge turnaround other than reinserting Melo into the mix.

For mine, this is enough evidence to show (and also when you take into account Denvers great form post trade last year) that Melo is not a great team player. I dont think a team can win a Championship with Melo as the #1 guy. He doesnt set a great example for his teammates, his body language is lacking and he isnt a real leader. It appears to me that he likes to get his numbers and play his way without considering the impact on the team.

Interested to hear others thoughts, but if I were an NBA GM, I wouldnt be out bidding other teams for a guy like Melo.

Reply #354262 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Melo needs to wake the hell up and realise that his style of play just doesn't work in any team.

When they won their first two games are Melo returned; Melo was coming of screens and Lin was passing to the correct spots etc. etc.

Since that time, Melo has receeeded back to being a "I need the ball all the time" guy. It's selfish basketball in a team game.

Considering the sacrifice the Knicks made to get him, i'd do what you can to get more out of Melo; but frankly I'd be fine with Lin/Stoudamire/Chandler as the core and spend Melo's cash on a better bench.

Reply #354263 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

Will the new coach have the guts to leave Melo and Stoudamire on the bench and go back to the team that did so well when the two 'stars' were out?

It would be soooooo sweet if the supporting players could prove the point once and for all that they don't need him, cos Melo isn't getting the message. It seems simple to me: play Melo and most likely lose, bench Melo and most likely win. Making the playoffs beats not wanting to hurt Melo's ego in my book.

As for JLin - maybe the NBA has worked out Lin but if the ball and the players are moving all the time then shutting down Lin won't make too much difference.

Reply #354269 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Either it's Melo or Lin has been worked out. I'd lean towards the former.

Trading Lin wouldn't be the stupidest idea ever, while his stock was reasonable. Still, he's presumably good value so might as well keep him.

Reply #354295 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

He's too iconic to trade now (Lin) regardless of value really.

Stars are much the same, however they become tradeable when they are become toxic, as Melo just might become.

Reply #354344 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Yep, Melo is a team chemistry killer. The Knicks were on a roll with Melo out, he rocks back in and they go 2/10.

Compare the games with Melo and without Melo. The games without Melo flow a hell of a lot better, there is ball movement and a decent inside/outside game. There also seems to be a general comradeship between the guys.

Add Melo, the ball movement disappears and it's isolation plays for Melo. It's putrid, stagnant basketball which effects the other 4 players on the court. They all drop the heads and don't seem as committed.

How bout:

Josh Smith/Marvin Williams for Melo/Toney/2nd round pick.

Smith and Marvin have both put in trade requests, and Melo is killing the Knicks. Toney is to make it work and the 2nd is a thank you gift.

I'd love to watch Smith and Chandler playing defence together.

Reply #354355 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Heard some buzz about Coach D wanting to trade Melo for D-will straight up....

I would think that would of been good...if the knicks hadn't already shipped their wing players to denver to get melo in the first place!

They can really win with what they have now.

Reply #354758 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:10 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754