uncle arthur
Years ago

extra time in junior GFs

if any officials out there read this....

is it 3 or 5 minutes of extra time in junior GFs ?

obviously fully timed for div 1 and div 2 - ? last minute fully timed y/n ?

and.......

in fully timed games does the clock stop on a basket and recommence once inbounded ? - the reason i ask is the game could finish whilst out of bounds - i.e. a team scores with 5 seconds left and the inbounder can hold it out of court on the end line if the clock does not stop after baskets.

Topic #27793 | Report this topic

Trees will trees  
Years ago

3 mins for juniors. Pretty sure it's in the by-laws.

Reply #354366 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

clock doesnt stop aftrr a basket..only in aba.. And yeah from memory..only last minute fully timed in div 2

Reply #354373 | Report this post

curious  
Years ago

I am also interested about the clock stopping when a basket is scored as i was doing the clock in country cup last weekend and was told in last 2 min. stop the clock when the ball goes through the basket, i told the ref i thought that only happened if the ball was knocked away or something happened to delay the in bounds of the ball and when i told him it doesn't happen in district he told me it should but the umpires don't like it as it stops them from getting home or going out partying.
I did do this once myself in a ditrict game in the last min. or so when the ball was knocked away so i stopped the clock as there was only a couple of points the difference and the opposition and the refs questioned what i was doing!

Reply #354377 | Report this post

uncle arthur  
Years ago

problem is - if team A scores a basket and is down by 1 point with 5 seconds left - then team B can hold the ball out of court on the end line until the siren sounds.

seems silly that the game can end out of court - when we go to all the bother of possession jump balls and advancing the ball after time outs in the last 2 minutes to keep it tight - then this game dampener is allowed.

Reply #354378 | Report this post

TC  
Years ago

3 Minutes Overtime for all Juniors.

Clock does NOT stop after made baskets in any grade apart from ABA.

Clock stops for last 3 minutes of Div 2 and lower.

Reply #354382 | Report this post

Country were playing Championship rules in the last 2 mins, which means the clock stops on all whistles and made baskets in the last 2mins.

The FIBA rules are designed for fully timed games. Where the Champ rules all apply.

Reply #354391 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

clock stopping I believe in all BSA games excluding ABA was by lawed out. Simply it can cause games to run overtime and with only an hour on juniors or hour twenty on seniors games running late make for very late nights. Nothing to do with referees going home early or any other crap. Stopping clock on made baskets also opens up the opportunity to sub on made baskets in the last two. which can add five or mor minutes to a game. snowball effect and there is also the possbility of clock not starting again. Plus it is a skill to stop the clock and get the score up and clock started to we parents need to be under that type of pressure?

Reply #354401 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BSA Bylaw 3.1
b) Definition of fully timed game is as per FIBA rules with the following
exceptions;
i) All games (excluding Senior Division 1) will have a 1 minute break
after the first and third periods and 2 minutes at half time except for
ii) The Senior Division 1 which will have a 2 minute break after the
first and third periods and a 10 minute break at half time.
iii) The FIBA rule in which the clock is stop after a field goal during the
last 2 minutes of the final quarter

Reply #354403 | Report this post

Matt Ryan  
Years ago

SA Country Championships on the weekend was officiated with full championship rules applying in the final two minutes, as indicated by "Trees will be trees".

That is why the clock was stopped "when a field goal was scored in the last two (2) minutes of the fourth period and in the last two (2) minutes of each extra period." (FIBA Article 49.2)

Reply #354458 | Report this post

curious  
Years ago

So what is meant to happen tonight?
Normal time 2 minutes left last quarter
should the clock be stopped when the ball goes through the ring and restarted when touched back on court?

Reply #354459 | Report this post

Matt Ryan  
Years ago

According the FIBA it should, but by-laws may supersede them!

Reply #354461 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

by laws supercede FIBA rules clock does not stop on made baskets in the last two minutes of the last quarter and any subsequent period of play (ie overtime) because BSA by laws over ride the rule.

bit like the rule that says all mouth guards should be clear in colour, and the by law states that the mouth guards can be any colour.

Reply #354473 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:59 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754