Anonymous
Years ago

U/18 Nationals 2005

Hey Everyone, just wondering what everyone thinks about the nationals coming up in July. Who will be the top teams? Who will be the players to watch out for? Any other comments?

Topic #2780 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

SA metro girls and Vic Metro girls to play off for gold. NSW Country girls an unlucky bronze.

Reply #31556 | Report this post

This sounds like a Bizzy question ?
Anonymous is a good alias!

Reply #31564 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the medal spots for the guys will probably be taken up by the two NSW teams and vic metro, maybe vic country or queensland south could be up there too. I do not see wa metro winning again at all.

Reply #31566 | Report this post

Years ago

the guys 18's country team is pretty average by the standards of of vic and nsw.

Reply #31574 | Report this post

lookatme  
Years ago

SA country girls will struggle. SA Metro will kill it.

Reply #31595 | Report this post

jimmy de bas  
Years ago

queensland north and south to tear up again. i think they may become the new powerhouse in australian basketball.

Reply #31604 | Report this post

Diddy  
Years ago

I hope you're not talking about the queensland boys. I'm not sure about the girls but you cant say queensland is a powerhouse, they just had a good group go Through the only real people with some talent in this age group would be Ahrens and Cedar, maybe one or two others. I'd have to say nsw country will win the gold in the boys.

Reply #31710 | Report this post

The truth  
Years ago

who is in the SA team this year ??

Reply #31725 | Report this post

rare23air  
Years ago

What about the SA Country men? they should feild a pretty good team with some big name talent but how will they rate against the other states?

Reply #31726 | Report this post

Years ago

nah, Dont think they will do very well. shannon is their only descent player! then they have a few mediokas.

Reply #31729 | Report this post

Years ago

nah, Dont think they will do very well. shannon is their only descent player! then they have a few mediokas.

Reply #31730 | Report this post

Dr Dunkenstein  
Years ago

anyone heard of Jordan Dodman?

word his, that kid can play.
Who from SA Metro has the size, strength, range and experience to match?

In the womens, with the squad available, i think Metro would be disappointed with anything less than a medal.

Reply #31744 | Report this post

diddy  
Years ago

Jordie is definately s.a. country's best, he will have to carry them a hell of a lot with a bit of help from shannon but theyre still not up to the standards of other states like nsw

Reply #31789 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jordan Dodman got an AIS scholorship at the beginning of this year however returned home shortly after heading to the tute'. Word is it didnt work our for him, which is a bit of a shame!

Reply #31791 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boys metro will finish middle to lower end of standings. Would not surprise me if country finish better.

Reply #31812 | Report this post

theview  
Years ago

SA country girls won't do too well i don't think. Many r playing district now but still, without Bishop and Francis they will struggle. Many country ppl drop out by 18s anyway- who knows why??? I think the girls only hav a few original members of the team that went to tassie left in this yrs squad, unlike metro. Why do ppl drop out towards 18s,particularly the country bumpkins???

Reply #31842 | Report this post

Dunk  
Years ago

Maybe there is more to life than basketball

Reply #31863 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Yep- i think it is called doing well at school and getting a career. Country kids give up a lot and in the end, they have to decide what is more important and what playing state is actually going to do for them in the long run- probably just waste lots of money. It is much easier for the metro kids to keep going with basketball which is why they end up with all their players from previous years staying in the sytem, while teams, like the 18 country girls, are stuck with a pretty average team

Reply #31867 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ive heard ACT will be tough to beat with Patrick Mills. now that hes been at the AIS for a while. ud think he could take them somewhere this year

Reply #37972 | Report this post

diddy  
Years ago

Hahaha not taking away from Pat Mills at all, he is an incredible player, but you should see the rest of the act side, there is about three people who can catch if that. We play against act in reps in nsw southern junior league, they are divided into two teams without pat, and our rep team beats them easily and we are not a great rep side, with only two state players and little depth. Mills will carry them a lot but there's only so much one player can do.

Reply #37995 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

thats a bit harsh, i saw the act team play at melbourne classic without Patrick mills, and they looked pretty solid, there starters are good, but they have no bench. with qld north, wac, nz in their pool, u'd think they could be top 8, few upsets maybe against NSWc and SAm and suddenly top 4, ive seen stranger things.

Reply #38068 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree that there is 4 or 5 legit playerz. But most are bottom age and I dont think they will be able to play storng enough. Qld Sth with SA old boy Richard Orlick coaching them should be the team

Reply #38083 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

agree, especially that mecanovic is now there.

Reply #38084 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

with an all SA grand final at classics for the girls sa should do quite well.

Reply #38097 | Report this post

Trex  
Years ago

After the 18 girls did so well at Classics, if they do not at least make GF at nationals you would consider they have failed...in a one game situation anything can happen, an injury etc, but to not get that far would be a real disappointment...

Reply #38100 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dr Dunkinstein, Rhino from tigers matches and beats doddman easy like he did in state champs.

Reply #38101 | Report this post

diddy  
Years ago

Yeh i suppose i was a bit harsh on act, but they won't beat nswc, s.a.m or qld north in their pool. so i suppose they could be anywhere up to 7th but as for top 4, i havent seen many "stranger things".

Reply #38606 | Report this post

Dr Dunkenstein  
Years ago

anon (#38101). Dodman is country, Rhino, obviously metro. I haven't seen Rhino play so I can't pass judgement.

Reply #38607 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Anyone think QLD North will be any good in 18 boys?...1st at 18s last year but 13th at 16s!

Pool A should have Vic Met & NSW Country go through. I see QLDN, ACT, NZ (none of NZ went to 18s or 16s nats last yr?!) and SAM competing for 3rd to 6th in the pool with WAC coming in 7th.

Reply #38620 | Report this post

big bad bruce  
Years ago

i played them at 16s. The girls team would have done better than them against us. Qld north must have had a freak accident last year and suddenly found some talent in the under 18s. They had the best player in his age group last year(no offense to jeff dowdell)STEVEN WEIGH. He carried them. They had big fowards and there guards could shoot and handle the ball. Nothing extraordinary just stevie weigh. Yeah i think that qld north have the toughest in there pool. ACt will be solid with mills and heywood, sam met will have molitor and the kiwis will just be rugby players looking for a holiday, my prediction
NSW C
VIC M
SAM
ACT
NZ
QLD N
WAC

Reply #38682 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Vic C with Pendlebury? WA M winners two years ago ? Qld S with Mecanovic?

Reply #38695 | Report this post

baller13  
Years ago

i think the 18s girls SA metro will do well...i think it wil be SA metro girls and Vic metro girls in the finals!

p.s I went and played in the classics and i saw the victoria girls and i have2 say they werent that good our girls can beat them....

Reply #38714 | Report this post

big bad bruce  
Years ago

pendlebury is not playing this year, and WAM have DJ back but they are still missing players from there victorious 16s squad

Reply #38725 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

come on msn sack wink wink

Reply #38726 | Report this post

big bad bruce  
Years ago

i heard that jarred heywood is the best player for ACT he is even better than pat mills

Reply #38728 | Report this post

penail  
Years ago

Patrick mills is the best in there side, but if they dont have him there nothing saw them play in the classics, they am bottom 8, most teams made good use of them like southern and te other teams in there pool.

Reply #38737 | Report this post

diddy  
Years ago

big bad bruce, whoever told you that jarryd heywood was better than pat mills was either jarryd or somebody on drugs. he's not even in the same league as pat. good call on the other post but "the kiwis will just be rugby players looking for a holiday". lol
oh and not being biased or anything but jeff is better than stevie especially back then.

Reply #38740 | Report this post

big bad bruce  
Years ago

I only saw ACT play at classic and he was fairly dominatant. It will be interesting to see if he can match it with he stars at nats though. True Jeff is one of the best at the institude but stevie has great potenail and will be a star very soon. As for that southern tigers team, they were a joke. They struggeled to beat the under strenght ACT team. How they are the no.1 SA met team is amazing. They have the black hole Phil Brown. What makes it worse was that he was shit and a hog. And hemmings is the hunchback for notre dame on a basketball court. They were terrible

Reply #38763 | Report this post

diddy  
Years ago

it's amazing that jarryd could be dominant in the classic, i'm not quite familiar with it but i believe it has most of the good teams from vic and sa. He doesnt even dominate in nsw southern junior league in a lesser side, maybe he had a good classic or the strength of nsw could be pretty good.

Reply #38770 | Report this post

big bad bruce  
Years ago

i was told that he was having a very good tornament, playing above himself but he was ACT main scoring threat without mills. He had a solid scoring numbers 15 to 20 a game but he defense was great had some tough assignments apparently

Reply #38778 | Report this post

forest  
Years ago

yeh, big bad bruce, wat the hell are u talkin bout, is that some kind of joke. i know personally that im no where near pat, and yes diddy hes in another class i will never find. and as for classic, my numbers werent that big for the whole weekend, maybe for the first few games, thats it. as for sjl i was coming back from an 8 week injury in canberra, so i wasnt in the best of form. and had no confidence

Reply #38835 | Report this post

big bad bruce  
Years ago

IS THAT AN EXCUSE I HEAR

Reply #38907 | Report this post

forest  
Years ago

shut up whitey, blue is goin down this weekend

Reply #38919 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can you NSW people plz fk off and get your own forum?

I think my post deserves a basketball next to it

Reply #38921 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

well then, lets talk about SA then?? how will metro 18 boys go

Reply #38923 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vic C without All Australians Pendlebury, Hardy, Martin. Could be tough for them to repeat U16 effort.

Reply #38935 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Country boys beat metro last wkend in a trial game- did i hear right?

Reply #38960 | Report this post

stacey  
Years ago

i play for the sa country team and i believe we will do well just coz we dont have hight like last year we have talent and who cares what the sa metro girls have they play individully we play as a team and a team come before anything else am i right. so dont jugde on anything.

Reply #39263 | Report this post

big bad bruce  
Years ago

Hardy did not make all aussie i'm pretty sure and martin is bottom age 16s but they will still be competitive maybe not a top 2 finish though

Reply #39268 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nationals will be close in both the boys and the girls. Who ever plays the best on the day will win and thats just how it is. There are stand outs in all teams but individuals cant do everything and besides basketball is a TEAM game and every person in a team has there part to play. No matter if they start of come last off the bench! Hopefully there wont be too many big egos during the week.

Reply #39271 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SA Metro boys have no hope, not enough size. they will have great individual performances from Cmol, Brownie. Rhyno will be Rhyno and strike fear in the heart of other men with those massive arms, lol. Country boys will probably do better, but nothing near finals. Jordan only got his first in game dunk this year for Sturt over in classics apparently, enough said. they just dont have the depth in the team to make a decent showing. Metro girls will do awesome, i can see them taking it out, if they show heart, which i expect them to do. Country girls i dont know much about.

Reply #39293 | Report this post

statue of liberty  
Years ago

nicely put anonymous. SA country will finish above SA metro, with Browny and cmol only leaders in that team its rather difficult for them to finish a placing for the finals

Reply #39296 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Stacey, sorry to break it to u but if your talking about 18 girls- u r completely wrong. U hav no idea.

Reply #39315 | Report this post

diddy  
Years ago

yeh hardy wasn't an all aussie, he was a reserve i'm pretty sure. for a team that came second two years ago, vic country will be pretty bad. Only really decent players are kevin probert and chris dunlop, definately not the team they were back then. definately shouldnt be in the top 4.

Reply #39378 | Report this post

big bad bruce  
Years ago

TRUE DAT

Reply #39619 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

doeas anyone know where the under 18 girls and boys national are being held next year (2006) ????

Reply #41943 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

yeah that ACT side did do pretty bad. i was in albury and i watched the act shoalhaven game, i saw a guy from the ACT dunk on number 7. the guy was just 6 foot tall. the guy didnt even make the nationals squad he seemed pretty good but thats just my opinion..... I Love Jarryd Heywood he is 20 times betta then Whitey

Reply #45171 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

does anyone know who that black guy was for tassi. he was rippin it up... jus wondering

Reply #46740 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the under 18 championships are being held in SA nxt yr...2006

Reply #46741 | Report this post

Vc-Coach  
Years ago

(Mod: Wow, all that effort and then... deleted!)

Reply #63528 | Report this post

huggys mum  
Years ago

i love huggy from ACT. he is the guy who dunked on number 7 from shoalhaven in 2005 in albury. he will rip it up this year

Reply #80195 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What about nationals 2006 at waverly? who will dominate? who will suck?

Reply #80196 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #88900 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:35 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754