Anonymous
Years ago

NBL Commentators

Apart from Shane Heal & Andrew Gaze.. The rest are well below par.
Carfino calling people that know odd (and interesting) stats, people with no lifes and need girlfriends. Always talking about the NBA or his College years!
Joyce can't say players names, often rambles on, extremely bias.
Reid.. I know he's the Wildcats favorite fan and blah blah. But he doesn't know any league history outside of the Wildcats. Sounds like a grandpa saying things like "Oh yeah he went for a Slam Dunk" etc.
The Bear is just as bad as Reid. Well, on his good days.
Maher is ok, but would be more suited for a side line reporter.. So would Gaze.

Only thing is, who else do we have? Our commentators are uneducated, daggy, bias & fail to engage fans with their talk.
Who should we go after the main mic spot?

Topic #27807 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Personally I like Reid and the Bear. They work well together and provide some extra entertainment when needed.

Was never a huge fan of Heal's commentating, but I do like Gaze.

Bradtke was by far the worse when he used to commentate though.

Carfino i'll take or leave. Not the best but doesn't bother me too much.

I wouldn't mind seeing how Leonard Copeland or John Rillie would go.

Reply #354510 | Report this post

alolymous  
Years ago

nagy

Reply #354512 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree with you about Reid! Listening to him now, he sounds like my 50 year old mother that knows nothing about basketball...

Reply #354513 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Leonard Copeland ftw

Reply #354516 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They are the biggest homers EVER but when you win as much as Perth do it must be hard!

Reply #354518 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

Reid's us of words like us, our and them does grate after a while

Not really fair putting a clubs #1 ticket holder on TV and asking him to call a game without bias

It is a shame that Ten arent putting the effort into the NBL telecast like they do with other sports

Reply #354533 | Report this post

dude  
Years ago

Ten put effort into sports? Thought that ended when One became a sitcom repeat channel when fathead Packer took over.

Reid annoyed me by saying the silent l in holmes.

Reply #354546 | Report this post

Flip  
Years ago

NBL should do a deal with ESPN and get some commentators from sports centre. As long as Mike Brown isn't involved I'll be happy or that guy who did the World Champs who kelp calling Australia ozzie

Reply #354550 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I don't mind the commentary in Perth. Carfino MUST go!

Get the guy who does the wnbl. He seems good and doesn't comment on things he knows nothing about.

Reply #354596 | Report this post

aussie  
Years ago

John Rillie can't be considered he's assistant coach at Boise State in college basketball

Reply #354599 | Report this post

dude  
Years ago

Darren Boyd? He is ABC's top sports guy doing WNBL and VFL. I like him and he actually bothers to do research. Has never played an NBL game and is not American so cannot be hired to commentate an NBL game : )

Reply #354612 | Report this post

smoovy  
Years ago

Where is Bruce Palmer these days? He used to be good value as a comments man.

Carfino is up there with fingernails on a blackboard.

Reply #354619 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hes in japan

Reply #354632 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reid's great, should be flown around the country. Van Groningen is the best special comments guy, but most of them except Joyce are reasonable, even if lacking insight. Agree re Darren Boyd, much better than Carfino.

Reply #354633 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:28 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754