Mick
Years ago

Wildcats Thump Crocs (again...)

A few observations from the game:

- Perth are a great ball club on both ends of the floor. They don't need the help they get from the refs. Call it evenly, please, the Cats will still win.

- I'm getting pretty sick of Eddie Gill. 1/7 from the field to go with zero assists, and routinely getting burned by Robbins, Lisch and Martin, in what is becoming a pretty standard line from the former NBA point guard. Guy needs to quit shooting bad shoots, over-dribbling, turning the ball over like there's AIDS on it, and passing the goddamn ball with more than 10 seconds on the shot clock. At this point the Crocs are a much better team with second year PG Chris Cedar running the offense, on both ends of the floor.

- Damien Martin was on PCP or something. Dude was everywhere. Had no idea he could jump like that...

- At this point the Crocs season series split over the Blaze & Cairns might be a curse. If they finish in third, which is likely, they will have to face Perth in the first round and will get molested. If they finish fourth they face NZ, who they can beat, even if it's a long shot.

- If Ben Allen is in a Crocs uniform next season I'm not renewing my season tickets. We are one big man away from being able to be (on the lower end of)competitive with the contenders (ie. NZ & Perth), and that big man is what Allen was SUPPOSED to be. Give his money to a proper basketball player who doesn't care about his hair more than winning.

- I know there are a lot of things to hate about ONE, but why do they present the game as if it is "live"? Why can't we skip through all the crap, most of us have to work the next day, and are staying up late enough as it is.

Topic #27808 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

You are assuming they beat nz next week and Cairns drop a game thinking they will make the 4 Not over yet.

Reply #354526 | Report this post

dude  
Years ago

Probably not the smartest thing to give result away in thread title. Some people record the games.

Reply #354528 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry dude, didn't think about that.

But if you're browsing an NBL forum the day after a match and don't want a spoiler, then you're asking a bit much IMO.

Will use more discretion next time though...

Reply #354536 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

If Townsville play Perth in game 1 of the finals series, I see Townsville going back to the swamp with a 1 - 0 lead. Might be the easier option for them.

Better line up for the finals in the referees ranks and the game wouldn't be so disjointed like it was called last night. Crocs took the foot of the gas, clear and simple. Players didn't like it, but as strange as it looks, Woolpert was looking at the finals only.

Reply #354542 | Report this post

dude  
Years ago

No need to be sorry as I watched the game. Just putting it out there for next time.

Reply #354544 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Also, Mitch Norton recieved his first NBL minutes (obv. aside from the garbage time stint where he fractured his foot months ago).

Townsville had them in the first half. They were beating Perth's trap, and then in the third quarter, against the same trap they had previously solved, they started coughing it up by doing the wrong thing and running into the double on the sideline and making lob passes. And then once the game blew out to twenty with plenty of time left for a comeback, they resorted to chucking up bad threes.

I don't understand how this happened.

That said, Woolpert was doing a lot of experimenting in this game, for a "must-win". Hopefully it pays off in the finals.

I would have liked him to dump the starters once the game got out to 30. There are guys on this team like Ben Allen that really need to find some form.

Reply #354559 | Report this post

Teapotzz  
Years ago

Agree with Micks above post in regards to minutes. I'm surprised they played Luke in the final quarter considering he was carrying a slight calf injury. Would've much prefered to see Ben get the minutes cos there is bound to be a time in the playoffs (given they make it) that Ben will be required to play good minutes due to fouls. Same with Gill, leave him on bench in last quarter and let Mitch and Chris play it out for experience. The game was gone, it wasn't going to matter. Better to let it blow out and lose by 40 than to risk injury to keep it at 30!!

Reply #354597 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The thing is, the Crocs were much better from a +/- perspective with Chris at the point anyway.

(nb. purely anecdotal evidence, not sure where to find +/- stats for NBL games haha)

Reply #354609 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

how does the home court advantage have that bigger an effect on the refs? I thought these people were professionals but every game with a real crowd and you see the massive influence home court has. Sadly only Perth and NZ have a big enough and vocal crowd with to a slightly lesser extent Townsville and Cairns.

Reply #354642 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a dunk by martin!!! He should be a boomer??? !!! All round player leaves everything on the pine every night!!! If only every player was like that in the comp would be so much exciting!

Reply #354643 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hope the Crocs keep majority of their team together for next year, Rusty Hinder in for Ben Allen in a straight swap. The Crocs at times suffer from a lack of leadership to stem the flow when the game is going against them and Hinder should bring that next year.

The top teams in NZ and Perth have done well keeping the majority of their team together for years in a row, which obviously creates superior team chemistry. Hinder in for Allen and improving youngsters Blanchfield Chris Cedar and Norton and the boys might be ready to step up to being an elite team next year.

Reply #354685 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:25 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754