coach
Years ago

Patty Mills to Spurs

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-wojnarowski_patty_mills_spurs_031712

Topic #27821 | Report this topic

LC  
Years ago

If it does pan out, Mills will be teamed with Boomers head coach Brett Brown.

Mills' signing will take the Spurs out of the bidding for veteran guard Derek Fisher, who is expected to have his contract bought out by the Houston Rockets after the Los Angeles Lakers traded him. The Spurs have needed someone to help back up All-Star point guard Tony Parker after T.J. Ford recently announced his retirement.

The Spurs haveannounced that they have obtained forward Stephen Jackson from the Golden State Warriors. In exchange, San Antonio sent Richard Jefferson, T.J. Ford and a protected 2012 first round draft pick to the Warriors.

Reply #354721 | Report this post

Bball Fan  
Years ago

Fantastic News!!!!

Reply #354723 | Report this post

benno  
Years ago

a big f*** you to all that didn't believe me when i said patty will not go play euroleauge

Reply #354726 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

All class benno...

Wishing Mills all the best. Very good news indeed.

Reply #354727 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I dont think anyone ever said he was going to play Euroleague.

Reply #354728 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Benno - pretty sure the big news here is Patty going back to the NBA and for a team that should go past the first round (I say should!)

Reply #354730 | Report this post

benno  
Years ago

yeah patty has done well, a superstar team with a great knowledgeable point guard he can learn from, assistant coach is the Australian national team coach i really couldn't see him in a better situation

Reply #354731 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

As a Spurs fan...hell yes!

Reply #354732 | Report this post

Shaqfu  
Years ago

I thought the Sydney Kings were going to sign him next season .....lol

Reply #354734 | Report this post

Tassieballer  
Years ago

When will he play his first game with them?

Reply #354736 | Report this post

Tassieballer  
Years ago

When will he play his first game with them?

Reply #354737 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

Houston and Detroit appear to have also been pursuing Mills, I like the decision to go to Spurs. Especially with an elderly point guard. 2 years with the second year being a player option

Reply #354740 | Report this post

pwned  
Years ago

Who's the elderly point guard? Surely youre not talking about Parker?

Reply #354743 | Report this post

LanceUppercut  
Years ago

Patty can learn so much from Parker and a great system at the spurs compared with the Blazers..can't wait to see him take to the court

Reply #354747 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty good outcome for the Olympics also. Not only will he get to play ball again, but Brett Brown can spend a lot of time with Patty getting their plans ready for the games. After all, they do say a good PG is an extension of the coach.

Reply #354754 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

Love this move for a few reasons. Spurs have a great knack for getting the best out of role players, Pop in a fantastic respected coach who will teach good habits, Tony Parker should be able to help Patty with his game and just being around him and seing how ho goes about it will help. And finally being under the nose of the National coach can only be a good thing.

Reply #354757 | Report this post

mick  
Years ago

I was one of the persons who said he may have seen his last game
in the NBA. absolutely wish him the best, but you're kidding yourselves if you don't think Brett brown being the coach of the boomers didn't have something to do with it.

That said, this is great for the boomers and especially patty working with a great coach like Pop. The worst case scenario though is Pop using him as instant offense off the bench. I want him to turn into a proper, well balanced point guard, not encourage his chucking.

Reply #354761 | Report this post

dude  
Years ago

How many Aussies have played for Spurs now? Gaze, Heal and Mills. Any others?

Reply #354762 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Just the three Aussies have played for the Spurs.
Bulls & Timberwolves are second with two Aussies played

Reply #354766 | Report this post

johnny_sack  
Years ago

Wolves - three (Longley, Heal, Jawai)

Reply #354767 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

Awesome news for him...this could really boost his career being in a team that he can gain so much personnally from as well as professionally. Will be good to see him really develop

Reply #354768 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

Mick,
2 other teams the pistons and rockets where chasing mills and the pistons also offered a 2 year deal, so I am pretty sure it would have got a deal without Brown

Reply #354777 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Mick - the only thing Brett Brown would have to do with it is knowing Patty and his game really well and being able to discuss it with first hand knowledge.

You're kidding yourself if you think an assistant coach can get a guy signed if the head coach and the rest of the operations staff don't want him.

Spurs have been the benchmark in terms of recruitment and franchise management for a long time (able to draft well internationally, get great production from cast-offs and journeyman, remain an elite team consistently). Great vote of confidence for Patty that the Spurs and Popovich want him on the team.

Hopefully he gets a multi-year deal. Anyone know if that is on the cards?

Reply #354781 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also Bulls three (Longley, Anstey, Schenscher).

Patty's deal is a two year deal with next season being a player option for about $1 million.

Reply #354784 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I should've added pretty good deal for Patty. He gets to showcase himself for the remainder of this season in the hope of gaining a better deal in the off-season but if not he can go back to the Spurs for $1 million.

Reply #354785 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

The only thing I hope is that they use him as a traditional PG and develop that part of his game rather than as an instant offense bench gunner. Patty is a heck of a talent and is just lacking PG skills at this point.

Playing with Parker will really help him learn how to finish at the rim without being super athletic, which is another thing he has to work on.

I couldn't really think of a better situation for him, to be honest. Never imagined him ending up with the spurs but it's great news for him and his future potential.

Reply #354801 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great news

He will have to still work pretty hard to make the rotation - he's prob also lacking some game shape fitness, hopefully he can get on the court in some form towards the end of reg season

Reply #354836 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

TJ Ford was an NBA journeyman/role player and he retired, haven't heard that happen for years.

Reply #354883 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Great news. No doubt Brett Brown's good word on him would have made an enormous difference, but that word would have meant little unless he had the international performances etc under his belt and some impressive showings with Portland last year.

Reply #354901 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

curtley - TJ Ford recently suffered another neck injury. A few seasons ago he was nearly paralysed by an injury that would normally occur in a car accident.

It looks like this latest injury was enough to make him think he might no be walking for much longer if he kept playing basketball. It's a shame, he was a fringe all-star back with the Bucks pre-injury

Reply #354904 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:13 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754