Emu
Years ago

NBL highest paid player?

Any idea on who the highest paid player is and what they'd earn?

Whats the total salary cap for each team?

Topic #27874 | Report this topic

fisherman  
Years ago

Salary cap 1 mil. Wortho 550k over 3 years would be close to highest paid?

Reply #355618 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

there are a few in that category

Reply #355619 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Top players get around $180K per year these days. Back when there were salary cap rorts all over the league they got around $300-$450 per year.

Reply #355620 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pero Cameron said to me Worthington is owed $200k next year!!!

Reply #355624 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Cap is 1 mill. But some teams have a self imposed cap, like Wollongong, Cairns & Townsville. Although i've heard conflicting reports about Townsville's self imposed cap

Reply #355625 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Back when there were salary cap rorts all over the league.... You say it like its a bad thing? Ie. big Payrolls

The L was booming. Teams could afford the talent that filled Venues. Shouldnt an increased Cap be what we're working towards...

Reply #355626 | Report this post

?  
Years ago

Most if not all teams lose money every year. Why would you increase salary or salary cap?

Reply #355629 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At what point was the league booming and spending on players was high? The high spending came in the 2000s when the league was rotting from the inside and crowds were the lowest they had been since the 80s.

Reply #355640 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Schenscher and Wortho would have to be up there.

Reply #355641 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ballinger is up there, I heard that's why we can't afford top notch imports. $200,000 the last 3 years.

Reply #355652 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ballinger closer to 170-180. Jackson would be on decent money.

Reply #355653 | Report this post

Julian  
Years ago

"Pero Cameron said to me Worthington is owed $200k next year!!!"

Correct, as the $550k deal is tiered.

Reply #355660 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My rough guesses at some earners per team. Just estimations...

Perth: Redhage up there on long term deal - $140k
Cairns: Everyone cheap but Loughton - $130k to come back
Townsville: They chased Luke for a while - $120k, maybe more
Gold Coast: As mentioned, Worthington but don't underestimate Gibson.
Sydney: Rightfully so, Khazzouh must get close to $150k, others on minimum
Wollongong: Tough one, cheap imports, maybe Forman on $100k?
New Zealand: Rich club, CJ gets plenty but maybe Wilkinson on $130k
Melbourne: Trigger got good coin to leave Hawks - $110k I guess
Adelaide: Ballinger on around $150 but not for long...

More and more cheap imports (Catron, Glover, Mims, Warren, Warren, Ratszch, Hudson) so the old saying is true. You get what you pay for.

We need to somehow entice the big time imports out here. Lifestyle, language and country all suit them, just not the money and maybe the standard
Remember when we had Carlos Powell, Ebi Ere, Donta Smith, Dave Thomas, a good Cortez Groves, Corey Williams and a good Larry Abney...

Reply #355672 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sadly I reckon there are many many guys on minimum wage or probably $50,000 a season or less as well as these being 1-year deals. A real tough gig!

My assumed low-earners;
Brebner, Deba George, Kerry Williams, Dowdell, Chris Cedar, Mitch Norton, Holmes (signed new deal), Garlepp, Cadee, Dann, L Martin, Iti, Gynes, Cooper, R Martin, Gruber, Behrendorff, Anthony, Henry, Lewis, Walker, Lang, Herbert, Daly, Bartlett, Trueman, Williamson, Hire.

Now k might be wrong or missed some but I would be surprised to see many of these guys up over $50,000 a season and some maybe in the $30's depending on what the league minimum is...

Reply #355673 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Chris Warren was a college superstar, Drew Warren was a really good college player too. Check out the college careers of the guys you listed and see how many did better.

This year's crop of imports is the best in a long time. The language, high standard, fun style and high dollar are making it pretty attractive.

I go with Loughton, Schenscher, Worthington, Jackson, Ballinger, Wilkinson, Redhage, Lisch and Khazzouh as being in the 150-200 range. I would have Wilson, C Warren, Bose, Tragardh, Gibson, Ubaka, Deleon, Simpson, Crawford and Gill in the next tier.

Reply #355675 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

I wouldn't feel sorry for those on the minimum NBL wage as that is $50k for doing something they love for pretty much 6 months of the year. They would have so much free time so they could have a second job or put that free time to studying for when their basketball career comes to an end they have something to fall back on.

Reply #355698 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

We are enticing Euro standard imports here.

Ty Mckee is doing well in europe, Troy Devries just got a gig as a euro league import too

Landing a good import is not that easy and the saying of horses for courses very much applies in the NBL

Reply #355699 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From what I've seen McKee is struggling in Europe and DeVries was playing in Spain's second-tier league at the time the 36ers recruited him.

Reply #355716 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

McKee is getting 11.5 , 4.7 and 3.7 in the euro challenge
Devries has just moved up in to Euro League with Malaga

Reply #355720 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have you got McKee's shooting percentages handy, Russia, Baltic & EuroChallenge (third-tier behind Euroleague and Euro Cup)?

I know DeVries has been given a call up to Malaga now where he was 2/13 from the field in his first game.

Reply #355723 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ballinger $200,000 a year past three years, most over paid guy in the Nbl. That's why our imports have been cheap.

Reply #355726 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

McKee is one of the best point guards in the Russian league, top ten in points and assists. Last year he was one of the leading scorers in Russia. He is a top Euro point guard.

The Eurochallenge is a third tier comp below the standard of the NBL, guys like McKee dont really put the foot down until the important games, like game three of the QFs last week when he had 26.

Dontaye Draper won the Eurocup MVP and starts for the Croatian national team. Darden was runner up MVP in France last year. Low was an All-Star in Lithuania, as was Dorsey. EJ Rowland was one of the best pgs in the Italian league last year. Jamar Wilson was the leading scorer in the VTB United league. Rich Melzer has been a leading scorer for his team in Israel and Germany.

The level of NBL imports is pretty high, most of them were NCAA conference first or second teamers.

Reply #355727 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ballinger on $200k a year!? Mate you are kidding yourself if you think that's accurate!

Reply #355730 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not that far off actually

Reply #355735 | Report this post

greg  
Years ago

The Max. salary at $175k went out a while back, don't know when. No idea why you would scrap it. It was some kind of control that is still neccessary. There should always be a minimum salary. Clubs absolutely screwed over players, 9 to 12, in the early 2000's.
Players are committed to their club from 1st August. They are allowed 6 weeks break at the end of the NBL season (dates chosen by the club) and can still be called on for club promos right to the end of the 12 months of their salary. Study has to be organised around a lot of things and doesn't usually work out. It sounds easy but it "aint. That's why what Darren Ng did was absolutely exceptional.

Reply #356301 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Quite a few NBL players are studying. Not saying it is easy, but many players have managed it and a lot of people in the community complete part time degrees with a lot less time on their hands.

Reply #356312 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Tovey has studied and works. Holmes has been studying at some level for a while now. Players have a reasonable amount of downtime even during the week.

Reply #356321 | Report this post

Tyler  
Years ago

1 m is salary cap

Reply #560060 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:51 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754