Vart
Years ago

NBL players that should be invited to Boomers Camp

There are currently 10 NBL players that deserve to be invited to this years Boomers camp;

Adam Gibson, Anatoly Bose, Cameron Tragardh, Damian Martin, Daniel Johnson, Jesse Wagstaff, Julian Khazzouh, Mark Worthington, Oscar Forman and Peter Crawford.

Agree or disagree? Are there any others that you would deem worthy of an invite to camp?

DISCLAIMER: Before anyone asks I've omitted Kevin Lisch from this list until someone can prove beyond doubt that he is actually eligible to represent Australia in London.

Topic #27914 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Larry Davidson, anthony petri,

Reply #356128 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

I would say absolutely not to Davidson. I don't see him bringing anything to the squad that the other bigs don't already provide.

Petrie is an interesting one. There is always room for a versatile 'do-it-all' type forward, though Wagstaff probably provides this as well.

Reply #356130 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good list, most have no chance of making the team but throw them out there and see if they sink or swim under the glare.

Yeah neither Davidson or Petrie should be near the squad. I wouldn't bother wasting the airfares on DJ or Tragardh either.

Reply #356169 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Alex Loughton (although injury plagued these past 12 months, has the talent for a bench role) but Wagstaff's late season form gives him the advantage.

Reply #356173 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

players suited to the international game in that list - bose,worthington,crawford.....petrie has the skill set but maybe not the size & mobility.

Reply #356182 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

Oscar Forman's an interesting one. Australia's been struggling from deep as of late and all our back up bigs seem to be of the same dimension. Oscar can no doubt stroke it from deep and could offer something different. Obviously no chance of making the team but I like the inclusion of him in your list!

Reply #356187 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Gibson, Martin, Worthington, Nevill, Khazzouh, Forman, Bose, Crawford and Wagstaff should be invited. Knight too if fit and in form but hasnt been the same the second half of the year.

Bogut, Andersen, Jawai, Maric, Baynes, Ogilvy, Nielsen, Barlow, Newley, Ingles, Dellavedova, Markovic and Mills from overseas. That's 22 all up, assuming I havent forgotten someone obvious.

Cadee, Johnson, Blanchfield, Drmic, BroekHoff, Motum, Greenwood and Creek should be invited to an early camp for development.

Reply #356190 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Anon #356169 - You're probably right in saying that most don't have a real chance at making the final team for London, but it's really important to build depth. From that list, Gibson, Martin and Worthington have been mainstays of the team over the past three years, so in reality their spots are their's to lose more than anything. Johnson, Khazzouh and Tragardh have been put on the list as based on most reports it would seem that Bogut and Jawai will miss the games, so it's a chance for these guys to compete for a final big spot against the likes of Ogilvy, Maric and Baynes. DJ, JK and CT also bring scoring ability in the post which is an area of weakness without Bogut present. Crawford and Bose are worth a look, as its well documented that we lack solid scorers. Both these guys can create their own shots, and also hit the three ball, which will come into consideration. There are some 'experts' that will tell you that Bose will be the preferred option at the three spot over Newley, Ingles and Barlow who have all played there over the years. So why not bring him to camp now and get him to compete for that spot and see where he is at.

Big Ads & AK-47 - Loughton and Forman are interesting ones. Loughton got down to the final 14 prior to the Worlds in Turkey, with Brett Brown looking to add a stretch four to the mix, someone who can hit the three ball at a pretty good clip. He also had a solid look at Daniel Kickert last year for the same role, taking him over to the London International tournament as part of a 14 man squad. Forman fits a similar mould to both Loughton and Kickert, and without doubt shoots the three a lot better than both those guys. Given our clear lack of perimiter scoring ability, I think he's worth a look.

skull - I agree with your assessment. I don't really think they'll look at Petrie too closely. Wagstaff seems to have surpassed him in that 'do-it-all' forward type role. And Bose and Crawford I agree with as per my comments above.

paul - I'm really intrigued to see just how big our first squad will be. Brett Brown hasn't traditonally been one for the huge squads (30-35 players like Goorj). Plus he's had a good look at 60-70 odd players since taking the head coaching job, so he'll have a really good idea of his depth chart, with a clear top 25 in his mind. Nevill and Knight are worth consideration absolutely, for the same reasons I mentioned above about Bogut and Jawai. And I absolutely agree that the young guys you mentioned need to attend the first camp for exposure to the whole Boomers system and environment.

Reply #356210 | Report this post

greg  
Years ago

I think Goorj had that huge first Boomer camp, after his appointment,to keep the masses, BA and the media happy. Honestly, did anyone NOT get an invite?

Reply #356421 | Report this post

greg  
Years ago

Forgot to say that it was nearly EVERY starting 5 Aussie member of an NBL team who was not available.

Reply #356422 | Report this post

greg  
Years ago

Having a bad night, wish there was a DELETE button.
"every player etc etc who was not INJURED"

Thanks for your patience.

Reply #356423 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:08 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754