BALLER#3
Years ago

What the NBL should do! IMO

If they are serious about growing the game then they must follow some or all of these steps!

1: Get the NBL app free on itunes (android if its on it im not sure). It is stupid to think anyone who is new to the NBL or trying to give it a go is going to download a paid app, when you can get the NBA app free and follow that easier.

2: Get the App constantly updated etc. At the moment i have heard many reports and reviews claiming that the app is very poor quality and never is updated. In relation to the first point, if a paid app is reviewed poorly no one will buy it even if they do follow the NBL. (It stopped me)

3: Expand to a point but then try to maintain the league and build up the talent level. I think aiming for a team in each capital city beside darwin. Dont exceed 14 teams. The league as is plus a Brisbane, Canberra, second melbourne, Hobart, Newcastle? second NZ?

4: Try and get average season crowds (Not including Finals) above 5000. This i think could be done quite easily with the right marketing techniques etc. Possibly create a ruling which suggests relocation or changing of teams that run below the average of 4000 once this goal is reached.

5: Internet TV. Scrap channel 10 and look to stream a few games per round through Iinet. Charge $5 a game or a season pass for around $100. The internet is the future of Television anyway! Also make these games available to watch through Fetch.

6: Open up the import slots to 3 for a short period of time. Raising the Imports to 3 would allow for a greater level of talent, and with an extra 9 imports expansion with out watered down talent can occur.

7: Dont bring back an allstar game! Yet atleast. The allstar game is way to american, and really this will do nothing to improve the NBLs image. The key to gaining interest is to make this league our own, not a mimic of the NBA with half the talent. Take a look at the difference between NBA and Euro... Wouldnt it be great for others to be saying American, European and Australian styles of Basketball!

8: Give teams that bring back Australian Talent from Europe a bonus of somesort. A points system bonus/salary cap boost.
EG.Say if someone brang back an ingles/andersen/newley style player on a multiyear deal. The NBL would help and reward the team with an extra 100,000 on the salary cap and/or a bonus 3 points on the points system.
Once the league was built up again we could rid this.

9: Eventually in the long run and providing the NBL grows, raise the salary cap to something that can compete with Europe/Low level NBA contracts.

One thing that some clubs can also do is a membership deal with another team in a different sports code. eg. The 6ers could pair with the Crows and any member of the crows is entitled to 40% off membership at the 36ers. I think you would see a boost to the 6ers memperships with something like that. It would be in the offseason of each so would clash with either side.

Just thought i would have a bit of a ramble to the computer and had to put it somewhere! Keen to hear what you think about any part of what i have said.

Topic #27946 | Report this topic

lollipop  
Years ago

Id like to see the points cap scrapped, salary cap should be enough imo.

Also keep it at 2 imports but make asian/african players eligible as locals.

Salary cap stays 1mil but increases 3% each season to allow for inflation.

Make it a 14 team league max agree there with minimum 12. Creates more interest, 9 is boring!

Every team plays each other twice, once home/once away. Also shorten the regular season (drags on too much), but make finals best of 5.

Rosters 10 men with a minimum 2 have to be under the age of 25 outside imports.

Thoughts?

Reply #356560 | Report this post

lollipop  
Years ago

Id also look to create a benefit for clubs that sign returning college ncaa div 1 players. Perhaps their salary could be outside the cap for first season. Need to get more young players developing in league.

Only really creek, cadee atm.

Reply #356561 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BALLER#3 interesting ideas in theory, but whos gonna pay to do all that? im sure NBL doesnt have spare 100 thous laying around for every team trying to bring players back. not to mention 'giving salary caps competitive weith europe or nba'.... ummm, perhaps if the NBL steadily grew for the next 50 years they could touch low ranking european salarys...

Reply #356562 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Salary cap never by itself worked

Reply #356563 | Report this post

BALLER#3  
Years ago

for starters anon the nbl doesnt have to pay a cent let along 100 thou. Its a raise of 100k on there salary cap so they can spend more on a marquee aussie to bring them back and it would have to be a multiyear deal on a player with a points rank of 10.

Reply #356570 | Report this post

BALLER#3  
Years ago

I like the idea of returning college players also lollipop. If a system like that was in, Delly could already be talked about as a NBL prospect and not as a Europe Prospect

Reply #356571 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Baby steps here...

First things first.
Sort out TV coverage. Either OneHD show live games or cut the losses, move to ABC for 1 game a week and set up a league pass for the rest. League pass could also show shows like "It goes off" and other fan made shows.

Second. Fix the phone app. Not that hard. Make it free.

Fix the jersey/AND1/Merch issue.

These three things alone would help out so much, bring in more fans, engage the existing fans then from there we can start talking about sal caps etc. Because whats the point of lifting the cap/Making marque player exemptions/Raising player point caps etc when these other issues will limit the league growing?

Reply #356648 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

lollipop - what anon said - the salary cap was ineffective and clubs went bust as a consequence.

IMO - points cap has been a much more effective tool for avoiding concentration of talent in a team(s) and the closeness of the last couple of seasons partly reflects that.

Reply #356656 | Report this post

lollipop  
Years ago

Points cap is generally opinion based, thats why i dont like it.

Since we are likely to keep it, id like to see young player under 23 maximum points value be a 3. This makes it easier for them to get on to rosters.

Reply #356665 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NBL clubs and league need to realise they are selling entertainment so whether I'm watching on tv or going to a game the NBL is not just competing with other sports but with other forms of entertainment..which means I can choose to switch channels when game is boring or not to return to see live nbl..therfore the needs the league needs to encourage the more theatrical elements of the game such as
dunking (ie by giving a weekly bonus for players with best dunk of the week)and to create personalities within NBL, the heroes, villians, jokesters which were prominent within the 1980s & 90s of the NBL..people don't just want to watch basketball but they want to see the heroes or the villians etc..but dunking
and alleyoops are essential in which at present seem to absent in any great measure.

Also,Aussies like high scoring affairs in sports..I would like to see a return to a priority on offense with teams that score over a certain number of points rewarded an extra point on the championship points ladder say for instance over 120 points

Reply #356848 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:18 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754