Spinner
Years ago

Random Question - Are there drugs in NBL?

Nothing being asserted here, but are drugs a problem at all in professional basketball? Plenty is said about other sports and I just wondered if it was an issue at all here (apart from coaches allegedly smoking pot!!!)

Many work hard in the gym, but most people know someone who takes juice for the easy way out. Is this known in basketball?

Just interested in views and discussion

Topic #27959 | Report this topic

Skud  
Years ago

Alot of players get really high and above the rim during games...

Reply #356724 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No question they are around, since over the years quite a few players have copped disciplinary action over drugs (and those are just the ones that got caught and we heard about) but I wouldn't think it is as bad a problem as the football codes since firstly there is a lot less money in NBL basketball and secondly there is nothing like the same level of yobbo party culture around *most* clubs.

Reply #356739 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

just in Nz, Dickel copped a ban, Webster is on his second

Reply #356745 | Report this post

JOaRiDrAN  
Years ago

It doesn't matter that there is less money, I have friends who earn $50,000 per year and regularly use cocaine. Drugs are everywhere people.

Reply #356747 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Are we talking performance enhancing or recreational use?

Reply #356758 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

recreational drugs are everywhere in the NBL.

Reply #356769 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

Drugs are bad, mmmm kay

Reply #356780 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NBL is subject to random drug tests like all professional sports in Australia. Any elite guys using performance enhancing drugs wouldn't last to long.

Reply #356783 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The answer is plenty, mostly weed occasional party drugs not much else

Reply #356786 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

I had figured that recreational drugs were around, but wondered more on the performance enhancers. Are NBL players tested?

Reply #356788 | Report this post

Julian  
Years ago

"Are NBL players tested?"

Players are tested by the Australian Sports Drug Agency, an example being Wildcats import David Bailey's positive test for marijuana.

Reply #356789 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Basketball being such a skilled based game performance enhances such as steroids would be largely pointless, epo and the like is also unlikely to be much use given the stop start nature of the game. I have been around hoops for a very long time and have never seen performance enhancing stuff

Reply #356791 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ Are you kidding? It wouldn't be much use?

You obviously don't know much about steroids.

Reply #356801 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do i know about Steroids..... No. Basketball yes.

Reply #356815 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Players in the NBL are randomly tested on a regular basis. ASDA does that.

Reply #356835 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#356791...purchase a brain please, champ!

Reply #356851 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ok. Let us assume that steroids make you bigger and stronger. Helpful yes, but by no means the be all and end all. If we put dj on a course of roids he would put on size. Size alone would not make him a better player, it will help his d not one bit. He may also lose mobility his biggest offensive weapon. Steroids would not turn an aba player into nbl player. If size and strength where all that mattered Nathan Taylor and Sam Harris would be the greatest players of all time

Reply #356854 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't forget run faster and jump higher. It's a banned substance for a reason!

Reply #356880 | Report this post

Woody Venkat  
Years ago

Ive been at a paty where DJ was blazing up.
Remember DJ from the Hawks early 90's?

Reply #357187 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:04 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754