Mel
Years ago

Has Trevor Gleeson been sacked?

Could it be? Seen it with my own eyes this morning. Trevor packing boxes in a car leaving McPeake's Nth Melb offices (Club H.O). No club polo, just trackies and a T-shirt. So hope this is true! The bloke is a spud!

Topic #27978 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Topic title adjusted from "TREVOR GLEESON SACKED" (for shifting boxes, it seems). I shifted boxes from my office the other week - was just taking some wine home. My employees are yet to sack me.

Rumours about Gleeson seem to be building, but until there's more concrete info, it's probably best to mark the topic title with a question mark or as a rumour.

Anstey and DMac as replacement coaches seems to be the word.

Reply #356969 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Packing boxes into a car doesnt necessarily mean your sacked.If they ae going to sack him the owners are going to have to put there hand in there pocket for the 2 years left of his contract.

Reply #356975 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

As I said in the other thread, Boti had a short one liner on this at the end of one of his article Friday (I don't think it made it online), which tends to lend credibility to the rumour.

Strange move to sack a former coach of the year after one year of a contract, after he was considered such a major signing coup only 8 or 9 months ago.

Reply #356976 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

easier to replace a coach than a chunk of players if those rumors are true?!

Reply #356982 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Boti has made a few more comments on Twitter about Gleeson suggesting that Anstey/DMac (rumoured before Gleeson was signed for last season) could be the combo moving forward.

A lot of Boti's material recently is just not getting past the editor. Basketball content could be pretty meagre from here.

Tornado, of the chunk of players, who would you cry at losing after this season? I think maybe only Tragardh?

Reply #356983 | Report this post

tropical booz  
Years ago

Tregarth leading the charge behind the sacking app...

Reply #356986 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Isaac, I'm not saying you would cry over any of them, even Trigger, although he has his good points and plenty of upside but they will have to get players from somewhere?

If a good majority of employees were complaining and threatening to leave because of their manager, even if those employees were replaceable you would still have to question why so many of them want to leave?

Maybe another coach will develop and get more out of players like Walker, Dillon etc...this could happen naturally if they are happy with their environment?

I'm not saying the players are right or the coach is right, just highlighting that it would be easier to replace a coach than 4+ players....at least then the new coach would potentially have a chance at picking who he wants out of those disgruntled players.

Reply #356987 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I know. But Gleeson had some success previously and was a COTY. If you weren't too keen on many of the players, you could probably scrap the lot and have Gleeson pick fresh. It'd be a different story with a roster like that of Perth or NZ, obviously.

In Melbourne, you wouldn't really rush to lock in many of them.

You'd want to get a feel for where the problems lay. Could be players being petty about minor things and throwing blame for dissatisfaction with the season.

I think he's more or less gone though. Once you've lost them, you've lost them.

Reply #356989 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

I agree and given Gleeson's reputation you would have to look at everything from both sides.

Having said that, he did hand pick that team last season and with or without Mills they should have performed better than they did but you would think you would grant him another season based on his previous experience/accolades to see what he could come up with?

Reply #356990 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Corletto must be still laughing at how dumb that decision was.....I know that I still am.

Gleeson chose the players he wanted and failed miserably (including getting 4 players who played the SF position).

Reply #356996 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who was Gleesons assistant last year when he won COTY?

Reply #357009 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Anon, Corletto will be pissing himself laughing

Reply #357011 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac, you only have to make one or two calls to find out that EVERYBODY at the Tigers had enough of Trevor. Players, support staff and management. Never had any dealings with Trevor so cant comment on him, but the little digging I did all came back with the same answers.

Reply #357013 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good luck to Gleeson....I hope he takes them to court....wouldn't that be funny! What a bunch of dodos! Lol! Listening to Trigger over your head coach....talk about a spud...what a way to operate a pro sports team....I'd be embarrassed to be a Tigers fan. I wonder if Dmac will dress like a gangster and where his hat backwards as head coach like he does as a spectator. Gleeson is too professional for this boys club.

Reply #357014 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

I think what needs to be considered is that he inherited alot of players already under contract so he had no choice but to keep them and then the owner walks in and sacks his best import.I would of thought he deserves another year and at least he knows where he stands.Perform or adios!!!

Reply #357018 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Gleeson's apparent agent, Barry Gibson unless I've already forgotten the name, on Twitter:

@BenFitz @boti_nagy as Trevor's agent I can advise the rumour mill is incorrect. He is at work as we speak.

Reply #357020 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As a Crocs supporter I can't believe the attitude down there. You Melbourne people have let your dreary weather cloud your judgement. Here's a guy that makes the playoffs 5 years in a row with fairly average talent. He moves down there and betters your previous year with only a few players he chose and with a hell of a lot of drama and you don't want to give him another year? I don't get it. All the better for the other teams if the Tigers don't keep him. Fools. If it is trigger behind it all, word will certaintly get out amongst the other clubs and his career in Australia will be finished.

Reply #357024 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

dmac and anstey taking over as coach? would this be a first as co-coaches? 2 wrongs dont make a right IMO lol

Reply #357025 | Report this post

Maxx  
Years ago

I have only met Gleeson a couple of times and personality wise he comes across as a real dick, however he seems to be a pretty good coach.

I do know Trigger though and I can tell you there is no way he would be directing anything. He might not like Gleesons 'style' (a lot of the guys don't) but he is professional enough to deal with it.

And to say he wouldn't get a job anywhere, what a joke :)

Reply #357026 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@Maxx are we talking about the same Gleeson? I've had a few beers with him throughout his time up here and he's a great guy. I'm sure if Trigger is behind it, word will get out and I can't imagine another coach taking the risk. Although having said that, the Crocs would never run their organization like the Tigers do. They would probably sack the lot and let the coach pick his own team. The Tigers must be the laughing point of the whole NBL right now.

Reply #357028 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

god help any team that has chris anstey as a coach !

Reply #357048 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can someone please explain why on earth you'd take anstey and/ or Dmac over a seasoned world-wide experienced proven coach? I can't understand it for the life of me, especially considering he'd be owed another 2 yes of contract. Sounds like a bunch of poppy cock to me. What kind of a business would make that kind of nonsense decision?

Reply #357065 | Report this post

G Rudd  
Years ago

Trevor Gleeson's assistant coach from last year is his assistant this year as well. It will be the Tigers loss if they get rid of Trevor. We made it to the finals every year with him. Look at the players, they are the ones on the court, tripping over their big egos all the time.

Reply #357066 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought Dmac did a really good job with the tigers in the latter part of the previous season. They showed more than what they did last season.

Reply #357109 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm sorry, did someone above just use 'poppy cock' in a post? Wow, really? Who cares if Gleeson goes anyway? Is he the only coach around? I know that there are quite a few great Aussie coaches floating around the place not to mention American one's also.

Reply #357131 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

They somehow missed the obvious 'piffle' going on though.

Reply #357137 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good luck to Trev no matter what happens. Great guy, great coach and probably too good for that shambles of an organisation. Knowing what a professional he is, I'm sure those clowns would've been intimidated by him and Short's expertise.

Reply #357144 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shorts expertise... BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! that's the funniest thing i've read today. He is Gleesons lacky, nothing more.

Reply #357168 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@Anonymous. Are you an idiot? Wait, let me answer that for you. Yes you are. Short is an absolute brilliant basketball mind and knows more about it in his sleep that you could learn in a lifetime.

Reply #357178 | Report this post

Greg  
Years ago

Gleeson supposedly sacked according to out of Melbourne NBL players this morning. Can anyone check it out?

Reply #357801 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No he's not sacked...he's on holidays. He had to take a break from work to dig all the knives out of his back that Trigger stuck in there.

Reply #358138 | Report this post

BBallRUS  
Years ago

Trevor is a great coach and it is Melbourne Tigers loss...

Reply #364882 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:30 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754